Kaia's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Sapphera

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Spring Piglets LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 20th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Sapphera's Avatar NTNP Host
I really intended to do this eons ago, but this is the first time I've had my computer on since we got home!!

So hopefully this will be short and sweet.

I woke up on May 8th around 3:30am with what I thought were bowel issues... I have a very weak stomach and thought it was just bad gas pains. But they didn't go away...and I couldn't sleep through it. By 6am, I asked hubby to stay home "just in case" they were actually labour pains (when you have enough tummy troubles, you learn that it could really BE just gas....). By 7am they were timeable. They kind of were random .. 2 mins apart... 5 mins apart... 4 mins apart... but still manageable. I didn't want to go to the hospital and then get sent home, so I waited it out. By 4pm, I couldn't take the pain anymore .. so we went in. My BP was through the roof, so they hooked me up to the monitors and I got to hang out there for a couple hours. By the end of that, I was still only 1.5cm dilated, so they gave me a shot of morphine and sent me home. Morphine was awesome... We stopped at Jugo Juice on the way home which was absolutely delightful.

By 1am, the morphine had worn off, contractions were still coming fast and furious.. so back to the hospital we went. Still only 1.5cm dilated... all that work for NOTHING!!! They put me back on the monitors and noticed that the heartrate of the baby was decelerating which each contraction and not accelerating back fast enough. On that basis, they admitted me for closer monitoring and did the fetal monitoring that they hook into the baby's head (not screwed in..just under the first layer of skin). I don't know how long I laboured from there til I got the epidural, but was SO SO thankful that I got it. About 20 seconds later, the baby's heartrate dropped so low that even the monitor lost it for a minute.

The nurse that was with me (because of the monitoring, I had a nurse constantly with me reading the charts) called my dr from the maternity clinic (remember my clinic doesn't have actual OBs.. just family doctors that enjoy the 'specialty') .. and an actual OB was brought in. They told me what was going on and that the best thing for the baby would be a c-section. They left me and Dh to talk it over, and it was a no-brainer. As much as I didn't want the c-section, I was still only 4cm dilated and it was too rough on the baby. So we let them know. They brought the surgeon in and that was quite interesting.. someone else was supposed to be getting a c-section done, but because of the severity, they put me ahead of her. That should have told me something.

Anyways, as soon as the decision was made, within about 10 minutes, I was headed to the OR. They topped up my epidural, put up the screen and did their thing. Dh was a real trooper.. i was worried he would pass out during a regular birth, the thought of him being at my side for a c-section was something I didn't think he could do since he gets squeamish, but he was awesome.

Anyways, they took Kaia out, showed her to us briefly before taking her away. Next thing we knew, the OR was full of people. We had no idea what was going on. It was very very quiet. Then after an eternity, there was a baby cry and laughter from the adults. They brought her back to us, cleaned up and put her on my chest for that much needed skin to skin contact. One of the nurses came up to us and let us know what had happened.

When they showed her to us, she was fine. When they took her to the back, she had quit breathing and her heart had quit beating. They had to do chest compressions to get her back ... they apparently had called "Code Blue Baby" on the floor to indicate the distress, but neither David nor I heard it .. which was probably a good thing.

Her APGAR scores were 1, 7, and finally 9.

They took us to the recovery room, and then finally to the post partum room. I had a semi-private room, but it was actually just as good as a private room since it was an L shape, I was out of the way on the outside wall and the only thing we had to share was the bathroom. However, a couple of hours there, and they came to take Kaia for the blood testing (the screening for 17 common diseases..can't remember what it's called at the moment). During this time, they found that her blood sugar was extremely low, so they took her to NICU for 2 days.

I was discharged on May 11th, but was able to stay with Kaia in the hospital until May 12th when she was discharged.

The stats at birth:
Kaia Madison
Born 9:58am
6lbs 8oz
19 inches long

Weight May 13th: 6lbs 6oz
Weight May 17th: 6lbs 11oz

1 week old:
blueeyes25s and Purrrrrrr like this.
NTNP #2

Last edited by Sapphera; May 20th, 2013 at 07:35 PM.
May 20th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Sapphera's Avatar NTNP Host
I should add... at my 1 week follow up appointment.. a few things happened.

1. I was FINALLY put on blood pressure meds.. even in the hospital my bps were around 150/110 and nothing was done about it... because it was still that at a week, I was put on Labetelol.. so we'll see what happens over the next month.

2. Because of the circumstances, they sent the placenta and umbilical cord away for testing .. they found the beginnings of an infection in the placenta as well as a blood clot in the umbilical cord.. either of those could have caused the heart rate issues with Kaia... so having both was a double whammy.
NTNP #2
May 20th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, that must have been scary. But I am so glad everything turned out ok. Sounds like she is doing really well now.
May 21st, 2013, 03:58 AM
Kenzie's Avatar Photography Momma
Wow! Soooo glad that everything turned out Ok!
May 21st, 2013, 12:16 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Wow, you went through a lot! So glad she's ok. She's a beauty!
June 2nd, 2013, 04:34 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh my goodness sounds so scary. Thank goodness all is well. She's beautiful!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search