What is the average blood sugar rate?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 23rd, 2006, 10:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm new to gestational diabetes and won't meet with my DR until the end of the month. Until then, I am sticking myself 4 times a day to test my blood sugar. I just got a call from the dietitian to meet with her on Thursday (oh boy, I did not like her just from talking to her on the phone - thought she was rude).

Is there an average that I should be shooting for? What's the normal blood sugar count for someone with gestational diabetes? Does hypothyroidism affect it (research on the internet indicates that it affects it, but never mentions to what extent)?

I was so glad to see this topic .... I've been feeling kind of alone on this. The girls on my DDC are great, but most of them aren't dealing with this sort of thing.

Thanks!

I love my 3 girls and little boy:

Mom to Jessica - 19 yrs old, Amber - 18 yrs old, Sebastian - 2 months
January 23rd, 2006, 11:10 AM
bright future's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have to test fasting and 1hr after each meal daily (well, now I'm down to any 2 readings of my choosing)... the guidelines I was given were these:

Fasting: <5.3 mmol/L or <95 mg/dl
1 hour after each main meal: <7.6 mmol/L or <136 mg/dl
2 hours after each main meal: <6.7 mmol/L or <120 mg/dl

My averages for the last 2 weeks are:
Fasting: 4.8 mmol/L (86 mg/dl)
1 hr after breakfast: 6.0 mmol/L (108 mg/dl)
1 hr after lunch: 6.2 mmol/L (112 mg/dl)
1 hr after dinner: 5.8 mmol/L (104 mg/dl)

To get those I eat like this:
Morning Coffee (with sugar): 15g carbs
Breakfast: 30-45g carbs
Snack: 15g carbs
Lunch: 45-50g carbs
Snack: 15g carbs
Dinner: 45g carbs
Snack: 30g carbs
January 23rd, 2006, 12:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you so much for your response...they were very helpful! I really like the carb list....I think that will help me to regulate it while I'm waiting to visit my dr.

Oh boy, I have a long way to go. My lowest fasting was 95...but averaging around 105. I have pretty high blood sugar at lunch and dinner (around 140's - sometimes lower, sometimes higher).

Hopefully this dietitian will be able to help me out.

Thanks again! I'll keep referring to your chart to help keep me on track and see if that works.

January 23rd, 2006, 12:16 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Eek, mine are icky compared to yours.

Let's see my averages are as follows:

Fasting: 90-95
1 hour after breakfast: 130-165
1 hour after lunch: 80-100
1 hour after dinner: 115-140

As for your hypothyroidism, I am not sure if it effects your blood sugars or not, but I do know that people with thyroid problems are at greater risk for diabetes and vice versa. (My ds has diabetes and they check his thyroid once a year.)

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
January 23rd, 2006, 12:25 PM
Teresa, what do you normally eat for breakfast?

pcgirl, I have a feeling that if your fasting number is high regularly they may go straight to medication. That said, I have read that the bedtime snack is important to keep morning sugar levels lower... I found if I had just 30g carbs at night my sugars were higher in the morning than if I had a nice chunk of protein with it. I usually have a piece of toast with peanut butter and a cup of milk.

Apparently (and I'm not an expert) if your snack doesn't sustain you over night, your liver will ultimately infuse your blood stream with extra glucose, thus raising the levels. If you don't run out of fuel over night (i.e. mixed carb & protein snack) you may be able to bring those numbers down.

I've figured out there's a lot of trial and error involved.

Here is the best link I've found yet for info - the articles are great and mostly apply to everyone (not just plus size):
http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/gd/gd_index.html
January 23rd, 2006, 12:35 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Teresa, what do you normally eat for breakfast?

pcgirl, I have a feeling that if your fasting number is high regularly they may go straight to medication. That said, I have read that the bedtime snack is important to keep morning sugar levels lower... I found if I had just 30g carbs at night my sugars were higher in the morning than if I had a nice chunk of protein with it. I usually have a piece of toast with peanut butter and a cup of milk.

Apparently (and I'm not an expert) if your snack doesn't sustain you over night, your liver will ultimately infuse your blood stream with extra glucose, thus raising the levels. If you don't run out of fuel over night (i.e. mixed carb & protein snack) you may be able to bring those numbers down.

I've figured out there's a lot of trial and error involved.

Here is the best link I've found yet for info - the articles are great and mostly apply to everyone (not just plus size):
http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/gd/gd_index.html[/b]
They just cut back my carbs for breakfast so we'll see how that goes. I have found cereal is hard on the body both for me (and also what I have noticed with my ds's blood sugars). Tomorrow I am going to try something with a little more protein in it and see how it goes.

pcgirl, my guess is with your numbers you probably will go straight to medication too. I was feeling pretty good about my numbers until my sister had to ruin my bliss and tell me how tight of control they want with GD compared to what I do with my ds's diabetes.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
January 23rd, 2006, 02:22 PM
Ambesi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh dear! My numbers are so much high than yours in the morning. Here are my averages so far. I've been on the GD diet and monitoring since 1/14.

Fasting Avg: 119
After Breakfast (1 hr) Avg: 162
After Lunch (2 hr) Avg: 110
After Dinner (2 hr) Avg: 111

Here are the guidelines I was given:
Fasting should be under 95
1 Hour after a meal should be under 140
2 Hours after a meal should be under 120

So, you can see that my morning numbers are the ones giving me trouble. I have been very strict with my diet. Haven't cheated or anything so it's frustrating to not see any results.
January 23rd, 2006, 02:38 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Chasity82
I had GD with my DD, my first pregnancy but not with my DS. My dr. told me to shoot for 80-120 2 hours after eating. I am 24 weeks preg with my third and havent been tested yet, but I am keeping my fingers crossed I dont get it.

<center>
<a href="http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c232/Chasity2482/DSC00329.jpg" target="_blank">
</a>
<a href="http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c232/Chasity2482/DSC00331.jpg" target="_blank">
</a>
<center>
<a href="http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c232/Chasity2482/BABY_5.jpg" target="_blank">
</a>
<a href="http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c232/Chasity2482/BABY_6.jpg" target="_blank">
</a>
</center>
January 23rd, 2006, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Oh dear! My numbers are so much high than yours in the morning. Here are my averages so far. I've been on the GD diet and monitoring since 1/14.

After Dinner (2 hr) Avg: 111[/b]
Amber, I'm curious about your testing schedule... I know the couple of times that my 1 hour has spiked above the recommended guidelines my 2hr was back down to acceptable. I wonder if you were testing 2 hours after breakfast if it would be back to acceptable... I also wonder if your 1 hr after lunch and dinner might also be high You might be succeptable to high 1 hr readings with normal 2 hr each time. If that is the case, you can try exercise after each meal - like 15-20 minutes of brisk (or whatever you can handle LOL; nothing's brisk about me these days!) walking or something.

I can see why you're frustrated. I really hope your medical team can get you sorted out quickly so that you don't have to suffer the unknown much longer... hang in there and keep doing what they tell you - that's all you can do.
January 23rd, 2006, 04:29 PM
Ambesi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Bright, the morning 1 hour after is usually the only one above the acceptable range. I was taking all nine readings for about a week and now they just cut me back to six readings each day. Usually, my 2 hr after breakfast reading is fine. Here's the averages on ALL my readings, not just the ones I posted:

After Breakfast (2 hr) Avg: 118
Before Lunch Avg: 89
After Lunch (1 hr) Avg: 133
Before Dinner Avg: 84
After Dinner (1 hr) Avg: 125
After Dinner (2 hr) Avg: 111

So you think that maybe adding a 20 minute walk after my breakfast might help? I'd have to adjust the time I wake up in the morning and eat. How do you think that would affect my routine for the day?

Have you ever considered becoming a dietician?! You'd be great at it!
January 23rd, 2006, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Have you ever considered becoming a dietician?! You'd be great at it![/b]
hehe... no. I'm only as neurotic as I am because I verge on disordered with my own food issues If I made a living being this meticulous with calories and fat grams and fiber grams and carb grams and exercise... oh man, they'd have to lock me up!!!
January 23rd, 2006, 09:01 PM
bunnershunny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lets see, my averages:

Fasting: 90
1hr after Breakfast: 125
1hr after Lunch: 125
1hr after Dinner: 120

My fasting has actually been lower (85ish) lately, since I discovered how important that before bed snack is! And protein with it is mandatory! Usually about 30g carbs with 1 oz protein before bed works for me. (1oz protein, think 1 egg or 1 stick string cheese.)

My numbers are higher than Bright Future's (you are doing amazing by the way!), but I'm having problems gaining weight on the GD diet, so I've been instructed to eat at the top end of my "allowed" carb limits. I've started gaining weight now, and my numbers are still under the allowed limits, so they're happy.

As for after breakfast numbers, I've discovered that cereal and toast are right out for me in the morning. They will always cause my numbers to be too high. The refined carbs just don't work well for me in the morning. Best thing I've found for myself is a 2 egg fritatta w/cheese and veg, (you can make the night before, they're good cold) then a cup of milk and a small apple for the carbs.

Another thing that I should have known better, but for some reason this just didn't get into my brain right away. Always wash your hands before testing! Even a little juice from an apple, or bit of milk, (which you wouldn't even notice) will through your reading WAY off. I had a reading of 160 once (and it made no sense with what I had eaten), washed my hands good and retested, came down to 122. Like I said, I should have known better, but I just never thought of it before. And frankly, when you're poking your finger 4 times a day, you can get a little lazy after a couple weeks

Finally, and this is as much a question as a comment, about testing "1hr after meals". I've been instructed this means "1hr after you START eating". And I've started using a timer during my meals, because a little lag either way seems to change my readings quite a bit.

Oh, and that website that Bright posted is wonderful. I found the troubleshooting high numbers section to be really helpful

</div>
January 24th, 2006, 06:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, I didn't realize that a bedtime snack would make a difference. I've been trying not to eat before bed and keep wondering why my sugar is so high. Also, the cereal is killing me...that's when I have the highest reading.

I'm struggling to stick my finger exactly one hour. I eat breakfast just before I leave for work because I have no other time, but it takes a little over an hour to get to work. (by the time I drop the kids off at school and get to work, it's been an hour and a half)

Thanks for the link to the website. It has a lot of good information.

January 25th, 2006, 08:07 PM
KikoAsh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my doctor told me that anything under 150 after 2 hours after eating a meal is ok...nothing to worry about

higher then that..well we got some problems

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search