Time to eat, but sugars are borderline

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2006, 02:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I should have all the answers by now, being on my 3rd pregnancy with GD, but I still find myself struggling to find something to eat.

My Dr has me testing before meals. My levels are usually between 100-120 before meals... which is pushing where he wants them. So if my target is 120, and I'm at 118 before a meal, what can I eat?!? I obviously want to limit my carbs. I find myself cutting out carbs almost completely if I can manage it... I'll eat just some lunch meat and nothing else. I know it's not healthy to cut back so much, but I'm so worried my levels will go high, I'm not eating well. The Dr and Midwife keep telling me to eat more, once they go high I'll go in insulin. Which doesn't scare me, but I just don't want them to go high at all!

Any suggestions on menu ideas? Thanks.
January 25th, 2006, 06:05 AM
bright future's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You know, I can understand not wanting to make your sugars go too high... I feel like any time I have had a high reading I'm doing damage to my baby... at the same time, you need good nutrition or you could be doing yourself and your baby an injustice.

I would try and ditch the lunch meat altogether and go for foods that are as close to their natural state as possible. They tend to have the least effect on blood sugar... if you can find low-carb wraps (I can get some around here that have about 10g net carbs) you can stuff them with chicken/lettuce/tomato, or egg salad, or tuna salad, or even scrambled eggs.

For lunches I've been eating frozen entrees that have less than 30g carbs each (not that they're at all natural, but they are convenient); I just add some veggies... celery and peanut butter (all natural kind) or carrots and maybe salad dressing to dip into.

Any time you eat bread, try and make it sprouted grain bread... it's much lower in carbs.

For snacks I have a single piece of fruit and a piece of cheese most of the time. Dinners are usually some cut of meat, salad or veggies and maybe 2 servings of carbs in the form of potato or rice along with a cup of milk.

If you eat the healthiest diet you can, that includes all the food groups in the right quantities, and you end up on insulin, know that you're doing the best you can for your baby.
February 3rd, 2006, 02:38 PM
kaliles's Avatar Veteran
I was on a low carb diet for awhile before getting pregnant and I'd try looking at websites like Atkins or Sugar Busters, they have kinds of food ideas that are low carb. I like to grill chicken and add a big salad of dark leafy greens, tomatos, cucumbers, and other low glycemic veggies. It's very filling and doesn't raise your sugar levels too much. Whatever you do, you have to eat. Believe it or not, skipping meals or not eating enough can do more harm than good.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search