Do you have to follow the GD diet

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 27th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I plan to breastfeed and was reading the post on what special foods that you look forward to after the baby was born (mmnn, cheesecake and starbucks and cinnamon rolls). Does anyone know if you have to follow the same GD diet after the baby is born when you are breastfeeding or is that going to depend on how you blood sugars do right after birth?

How long does it take for GD to go away (if it goes away at all) after birth?

I love my 3 girls and little boy:

Mom to Jessica - 19 yrs old, Amber - 18 yrs old, Sebastian - 2 months
January 27th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
They should go away within a day or two, if not immediately. Eat whatever you want while BFing =)

With my last 2 pregnancies, they checked me immediately after delivery and I think maybe they checked one more time sometime before I left. But I think I had to ask them to check me. You might want to bring your own test kit if you're concerned. My hospital just assumed it went away I guess.
January 27th, 2006, 09:39 AM
bright future's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Because GD is caused by the placenta, as soon as you deliver the placenta your blood sugar levels should return to normal. That said, some cases of GD are simply undiagnosed type 2 diabetes that weren't noticed until into a pregnancy... in that case, of course, the problem will remain after the birth.

Most likely it'll be gone immediately after you give birth.
January 27th, 2006, 09:42 AM
bunnershunny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
GD should go away immediately. As soon as the placenta is delivered, the hormones that cause insulin resistance aren't being produced any more. They'll test your blood sugar in the hospital once or twice. You should also have it tested at 6wks post or so, to make sure it went away completely, or you haven't developed diabetes in general. That's my understanding at least. So after the birth, you should be able to eat "normally" right away. I may stick with some of the things I've learend on the diet, just because I've had issues with my blood sugar when I eat certain foods anyway (not diabetic, just sensitive) so I figure continueing to skip the cereal for breakfast won't kill me

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search