Um, can't stop thinking about this...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 27th, 2006, 09:12 AM
bright future's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know that a baby succumbing to SIDS is NOT the mother's fault. I KNOW it's random. I just can't help but feel more scared after reading the Jan DDC SIDS posting... baby came 6 weeks early because of blood sugar & blood pressure complications from what I'd seen posted and passed in the middle of the night at about 2 months

Am I the only one who is feeling affected by that? I want to turn it to a positive and use it as even more incentive to do everything possible to provide the healthiest outcome for my little bean, but I guess that story just hit me like a knife in my heart.

I believe God has a plan and pre-destines those of us who know Him to know Him. I feel like that mother was chosen to carry this little angel so that she could deliver him to Jesus personally (just my belief here...) just like Mary was chosen to carry Jesus and have to go through His death. I can't imagine the pain of losing a child...

Sorry about the ramble... I hope I haven't offended or put anyone off
January 27th, 2006, 09:52 AM
bunnershunny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

I think it's very understandable for her story to make you nervous, since she had something in common with us, she had GD. However, I guess I don't relate the two issues. Yes she had GD, but that isn't necessarily why he died of SIDs. They don't even know what really causes SIDs. A friend of mine is a nurse, her hubby is an EMT. After an uneventful pregnancy (though she did deliver by c/s) her second child died of SIDs. It can happen to anyone for no obvious reason at all. I have another friend who had GD with both her pregnancies, and had a hard time controling the blood sugar with one of them. Her daughters are now 2 and 4. So, I guess while granolamom's story makes me concerned for my GD, and really backs up why it's important to keep my blood sugars in line, it doesn't make me worry more about Alex, beyond what I already was. Did any of that make sense?

As for God having a plan... If that's your belief, and it helps you to make sense and deal with this tragedy, more power to you. I personally believe that bad things just sometimes happen, no rhyme or reason involved. But that's just my belief, and what works for me.

I agree, I can't imagine that pain of losing a child, and I don't want to try. There's a line in Ladder 49, where John Travolta's character says something along the lines of "I just came back from telling a mother that her son is dead, and you're behaving like this?!" I was about 24wks or so pregnant with Alex when I watched that, and I let myself for just a second put myself in that mother's place. I cried for half an hour. I cannot even imagine what the actual pain of losing my son would be like...

Rambled right back at ya... And again. Just keep doing the best you can, I'm sure all will be well.

</div>
January 27th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Ambesi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is such a sad story, but like bunnershunny said, no one knows what causes SIDS and I doubt it had to do with GD. It's so scary when you think about all that can happen to a newborn. Some things are just out of our control. All we can do is the best we know how and educate ourselves on how to avoid what we know how to avoid.

Every time I hear a story like this I think about how I'd feel if something were to happen to my children. I hope I never have to find out.

I know that you will be an awesome mother! There is no doubt in my mind that your child will be your world and everything in your life - your decisions, actions, thoughts - will be with your child in mind. I wish the world had more moms like you in it.
January 27th, 2006, 03:29 PM
bright future's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks you guys... for the support and the kind words

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search