A little concerned

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2006, 04:56 PM
lapoema's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm about 17 weeks pregnant. I've been seeing my OB for regular checkups, but I have a question.

I have been extremely thirsty. I mean, I have to be drinking water CONSTANTLY. It has to be water, not vitamin water, gatorade, or anything else. If I have anything caffeinated it thows me all out of whack. In fact, a few days ago I had just eaten breakfast and was about to start on my coffee, when I nearly passed out. I was so thirsty!

I was curious about this and looked online to see if this excessive thirst is normal. Gestational diabetes kept coming up. I'm worried about this because diabetes does run in my family, and I've gained almost 20 pounds in four months. (I was only about 110 lbs to start with, so I wasn't too worried about the extra weight.) I have also been extremely tired and short on energy.

Is gestational diabetes a concern for me? Should I ask my doc about it?
January 31st, 2006, 07:13 PM
bright future's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, it's worth talking to your doctor about your symptoms even if there's no worry of GD. Given that you have diabetes in the family, I would just be extra cautious. Extra weight can make you more succeptible to insulin resistance, but the hormones from the placenta that normally interrupt the body's use of insulin from the pancreas don't generally get high enough until about 26 weeks to detect a normal GD case so you might not be tested until 26 weeks anyway.

There are some ladies here who were diagnosed earlier, so it's worth asking about. It could be nothing - there are women from my DDC who have been saying they're drinking loads of water from the beginning of their pregnancies... I have a hard time drinking more than 4-6 cups per day.

I know I'm not much help, sorry... but yes, ask your doc about your symptoms.
February 1st, 2006, 06:57 AM
bunnershunny's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's always worth talking to your doctor when you have a medical concern during your pregnancy! That's what we pay them for Increased water intake during pregnancy is very normal, even in women who don't have GD, so it's not necessarily a symptom of diabetes the way it would be if you weren't pregnant. But like I said, if you're concerned, talk to your doctor.

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search