need some advice

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2009, 11:48 AM
babypea09's Avatar Veteran
I did my 1 hr test last week and it came back at 150 (from all my research this is 10 points above where they would like it to be)
The nurse that called me said to go for the 3 hr test. That is just not possible for me for many reasons. This nurse didn't give me a chance to say anything while we were on the phone.
I see the doctor next week so I plan on talking to him about it.
Should I really be worried since my level wasn't too high? Are there alternatives to going for the 3 hour test? I'm a chocoholic so I'm going to try to cut that out of my diet-other than that I eat pretty well. Should I be worried about trying to change my diet?

April 26th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Veteran
A lot of people the fail their 1-hour go on to pass their 3-hour, so I would not get too stressed until you get the results of the 3-hour results. The 3-hour glucose test is the only way that I am aware of to diagnose GD.
That being said, not to freak you out, but I failed my 1-hour with a 151 and went on to fail my 3-hour and therefore was diagnosed with GD. So, I definitely think it's important to take the 3-hour. Remember that as much as this might stink it is in the best interest of the baby, so being correctly diagnosed is the most important thing. A diagnosis of GD is not always a reflection of your eating habits or weight. It could be genetic predisposition or just your body not being able to keep up with everything going on with the progression of your pregnancy (and I don't need to tell you about all the changes that are going on )

You mentioned cutting out chocolate. That's a great start. If you are going to start to try to modify your diet also keep track of the amount of fruit, milk, and other starches (bread, potatoes, etc) Those all have carbohydrates that affect blood sugar, not just the sweets. Another huge factor is timing of meals and snacks. Not going too long without eating.

Good luck with everything! I hope you pass your 3-hour with flying colors. I hope I answered your questions.

Mommy to two beautiful girls (5 & 3)
Expecting #3 in December

April 26th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
What was stated above by Arit923 I fully agree..

I only failed one part of the 3 hour test with my first pregnancy, but one part I was right on the borderline.. My OB Dr. said I had GD and at first I didn't believe it.. But in the end I did have GD and I'm thankful I didn't argue with my Dr..

My advice is to stay calm and wait until you do the 3 hour test.. Until then, try not to worry.. I hope you pass the 3 hour test..

April 27th, 2009, 05:49 AM
I agree with Arit923.....it is very important to do the 3 hour test. So many complications can come from undiagnosed GD.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search