do I have gd or not????

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 5th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Ok, my dr tested me when I was 12 weeks pregnant because my first baby was almost 10 lbs. I did not have gd with my first but was diagnosed with this one. At first I kept to the diet eating what seemed like all the time, and taking my numbers. Then after I realized my numbers were excelent I started eating things to see if it would raise my numbers and my numbers are still great. I eat what I want when I want and my numbers are great. So, I was wondering if I really do have gd, if maybe there could have been a mistake.
May 5th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Regular
I'm right there with you. I was diagnosed at 28 weeks. I am now 38 weeks and I have only had 2 highish numbers this whole time - both just a couple points over my limit (and both happened when I went 4 or 5 hours without eating.

I have OJ in the morning, fruit whenever, cake, some sort of chocolate pretty much every day, pasta, hamburgers, etc. and I've never had a problem. The only things I have not attempted are bagels and starbucks. I am either extremely mild, or misdiagnosed. Thankfully my Dr was quite happy with my numbers after only a couple weeks and I only had to test 2 times a day. And even some of those I skip. Maybe you'll get lucky too.
May 5th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I have been testing for 3 months now and they still are making me test 4 times a day. I am going to the dr tomorrow so maybe I can ask if I can stop testing so darn much!! I am also going tomorrow to get an eco of the baby's heart. Did you have to do that?
May 5th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Regular
No echo. Is this something that came up on an earlier ultrasound?

I had a couple extra ultrasounds, but that was to check my fluid levels (I had a low fluid level problem around 20 weeks). I started weekly NSTs at week 34, but again, not for GD.

I guess my doctor is pretty unconcerned about the GD. I would find testing 4 times a day extremely annoying, especially when my numbers are almost always 20-30 points under the limit. I hope they ease up on you.
May 5th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I dont think it is because of the ultrasound. The perinatologist scheduled the ultrasound and echocardiogram at the same time. From what I understand heart defects are a major concern with gestational diabetes. I am only 23 weeks right now, and have not had any extra ultrasounds so far.
May 5th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Regular
Oh, I see. I have never heard of GD causing heart defects....
So, was there a reason they tested you so early?

Nevermind... I see that you wrote you had a 10 pound baby previously. Do you know your numbers from your GD test? FWIW, I have a friend who did not have GD with either of her pregnancies and she had 10 pound babies. She just has big babies.

Last edited by swann; May 5th, 2009 at 08:16 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search