diagnosed with 3 weeks till dietitian visit

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Hi, i was diagnosed a week ago and i still have to wait 3 more weeks to get into the dietitian can anyone please give me some information on how many carbs i should be eating per meal? and snacks? I'm getting really worried about my baby and all my Dr. keeps saying is watch how many carbs you eat but i have no idea how many i should limit myself to any information you can give me would be awesome
May 7th, 2009, 02:13 PM
My dietician said this

breakfast 15-30 carbs
snack 15-30
Lunch 30-45
snack 15-30
dinner 45-60
snack 15-30

hope that helps.....anyone else?

they also said in the morning you need more protiens....not sure why but make sure you eat something with a good amount of protein.
May 7th, 2009, 03:06 PM
ok thanks that helps me out a lot
May 7th, 2009, 03:49 PM
mama2aredhead2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mama2aredhead2
Those carb amounts are what I stuck to as well. I aimed for the higher end though since I was on insluin and if I didn't my numbers would get too low.
For breakfast stay away from fruit and fruit juices as it is hard for the body to handle in the am. Also make sure you are eating protein with every meal and snack. It helps to break down the carbs. Also, try to add fruit in at lunch and dinner as a carb if it doesn;t mess with your sugars too much. Add in veggies as well. Are you taking your blood sugar yet? That will help you see if you are eating the right amounts of everything. My endo wanted my numbers to be 120 or less 2 hours after meals. I hope this helps!

Thanks SandKmommy for my siggy!

May 7th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Veteran
I agree with the above posts. If you can, I would get a meter and start keeping track of blood sugar. It really helps you figure out what your body can and can't handle. Some people can have potatoes and pasta in moderation and some people have to steer clear of those. It also wouldn't hurt to start a food log now. That way you're going into the dietician appt knowing exactly what you've been doing for these next few weeks. I was very strict about logging at first and it helped me a lot.

Try to eat every 2-3 hours. Going too long between meals and snacks will affect your blood sugar.

Good luck with everything. I'm sorry you have to wait so long for your dietician appt. Please ask questions as they come up (and they will). It seems like a lot at first, but once you get into a routine it gets a lot easier.

Mommy to two beautiful girls (5 & 3)
Expecting #3 in December

May 8th, 2009, 06:57 AM
I also thought at first that it was horrible that I got diagnosed with it. I was a bit worried, but it turned out in the end to be a great thing. I lost alot of weight being on the diet. I only weigh 3 lbs more then when I found out I was pregant and I am 9 months now and only have about 2 weeks left.

And dont look at it like a bunch of things you cant have. You really might be able to have more then you think you can. Just in smaller amount. I dont think I completly cut out anything including ice cream. I just had to manage it better and could not have it all at the same time and whenever I wanted it. It really is not that bad. At least for me, others may have found it harder. And your body may respond differently than mine.

Not sure you are going to want to get a meter before your dietician gives you a script for it. They give the monitors away for like nothing but the test strips are like $1 a peice......insurance wont cover without a script.
I would certainly write down what you eat till you go though so that your dietician can get a better idea of what you eat........after my numbers were under control I stopped writting everything down.
May 8th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Veteran
I just wanted to add that my insurance sucks, so I've been buying mine from Amazon.com, and they are about half as much....I pay around $26 for 50 strips.

May 8th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by marashnay View Post
They give the monitors away for like nothing but the test strips are like $1 a peice......insurance wont cover without a script.
I agree.. I'm vary lucky that my strips and lancets are free and covered by my insurance.. My Insulin pens and needles on the other hand is a different story.. lol I pay half the price which is $60.. fun fun fun

May 10th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Thank you so much for all the advice ladies i was able to get into the dietitian on Friday my Dr. called them and threw a fit so they worked me in although when i got there i was the only person in the waiting room for over an hour and when i left there was only one person waiting so i think they were not that busy to begin with all of you advice was correct too I'm so glad there is a forum to help us all out with our worries and fears thank you so much to all of you!
May 11th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Veteran
I'm so glad your doctor was able to help get you in sooner. The last thing a pregnant woman needs is to stress for 3 weeks until your appt.

Mommy to two beautiful girls (5 & 3)
Expecting #3 in December

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search