Intro and looking for food ideas?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 12th, 2009, 07:07 AM
photophreak's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi all. I'm a newbie to this forum, but not a newbie to forums in general. I <3 forums.

My name is Val. I am a mom of 3 (ages 11, 5, and almost 3) with my 4th (and last!) on the way in July. I'm a registered nurse. I work 2 nights a week in my local OB department. I also dabble in photography.

Wouldn't you know, I failed my 1 hour GTT. First time in 4 pregnancies. I'm so bummed. Seriously, I eat mainly carbs. I don't like meat very much at all. (I grew up in a vegetarian family. It's just not ingrained in me to like meat, or think of it as a food option.lol) The meat products I do like are the ones that are bad for you, or that have carbs- you know, chicken nuggets and things like that.

So, I've kind of been struggling with what to eat. I have a fairly good understanding of how to manage blood sugar. I haven't had a sugar out of range since I began testing. (Incidentally, I know it's probably just denial, but I think the 1 hour GTT was a fluke. I passed the 3 hour. My doctor is the GD nazi though... and my last 2 babies have been on the large side- 8#6, and then 9#)

So I thought maybe I could share some of the things I have been eating, and maybe others could share their ideas, as well. Especially for things that don't involve meat. I really feel like my eating has declined significantly in it's health factor since I started this GD diet. I feel like I'm cramming fat down my throat, but I can tell I'm losing weight, for whatever reason.

The other thing I don't eat is any kind of fake sugar. It gives me a headache, and I think it's bad for us. (I know that it's an alternative for diabetics and I understand that others are comfortable using it.)

Here are some of the things I have been doing:

Breakfasts: 1 slice of double fiber whole wheat bread toast for breakfast with 2 poached eggs, or a slice of toast with peanut butter (my dietician has me starting the day with very few carbs- 15 grams for breakfast- and increasing the amount throughout the day so I get 47 or something at dinner and 45 at my nighttime snack). So breakfast is slim.

Snacks: 4 Grainsfirst whole grain crackers with a babybel cheese, a 100 calorie YoCrunch yogurt, cucumber slices (instead of crackers) with mild cheddar cheese. I'm struggling with snack ideas. My first thought is to hit the fruit, but I know that's not ideal for this diet, although I still do it sometimes.

Lunches: Tuna salad sandwich, or a "Bean Mush" sandwich (this is something my mom used to make us when we were little. It's mashed up chickpeas with some fresh minced garlic, salt, pepper, a little yellow mustard and mayo mixed all together. It's sort of like hummus, but not very authentic). I do my sandwiches on the double fiber bread too. (It's actually what we eat normally in my house). Sometimes a serving of Progresso lentil or black bean soup.

Dinners: I'm also really struggling with dinner ideas. Last night I made something that was good. the packs of Uncle Ben's rice that is all prepared (you just microwave it) were on sale, so I grabbed a few of the whole grain ones. I combined a half cup of the mexican style rice with a half cup of the veggies that you steam in the microwave. The I topped it with tofu chunks that I sauteed with soy sauce, garlic, lime juice, garlic powder and black pepper. The rest of my family had the same thing only with grilled chicken breast instead of tofu. Under normal circumstances, I would have just had a bite or two of the chicken and then pushed it to the side of my plate and just eaten the rice and veggies. lol

Anyway, I'd love your ideas, and I'm looking forward to getting to know others on the forum.
May 12th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Regular
Send a message via Yahoo to cktownsend07
When i had it, i googled diabetic recipes. I also used the glucerna shakes, cereals, bars if i was on the go. I also had to portion control my normal diet as well. The things i bought i'd look at the labels and see what had less/carbs sugars.

I was put on bedrest in the hospital and they gave me the special diet for diabetics, yet my sugars would rise (why? i have no idea!). So everytime I had a visitor they'd bring me mcdonalds and my sugars dropped (everytime). I have no idea why/how either.
May 12th, 2009, 07:31 PM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just found out yesterday I have GD also...check out diabetic-recipes.com...it seems to have really great ideas...I am VERY lost right now on what to eat, and I'm starving! lol!

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,
Bryson 2,and our lil man Noah Alexander turns one year on 7/5/10!

May 13th, 2009, 06:10 AM
There is no reason to stay away from fruit. It all matters how much fruit. A small apple for a snack is fine. Grapes are like 17 grapes is 15 carbs. You can have just about everything it all is a matter of how many carbs they have. Heck I even have ice cream for a snack at night I just measure it out and dont have to much. I dont feel like I have been robbed of anything this whole pregnancy. Just the fact that I cant have a glass of orange juice with anything else......and that I cant have everything all at once.

The morning the dietician is completly right. It is hard for your body to deal with the carbs......make sure you have alot of protien in the morning.
May 13th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the replies.

It's a big adjustment. Cereal is always a big fall back thing for me. A serving of Grapenuts has a ridiculous amount of carbs- even with accounting for the fiber. I love Grapenuts! lol
May 13th, 2009, 01:09 PM
MamaPickles's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MamaPickles Send a message via Yahoo to MamaPickles
I am feeling your pain! I failed my one hour and since I had preeclampsia with my last pregnancy and I have risk factors (family history, slightly overweight, etc.) my doc wanted me to start the diet and checking blood sugars. I'm a total carb-o-holic.

I have found that zone bars are a decent snack. They have lots of protein and fiber so they kind of balance out the carbs. I think the fudge graham ones taste like candy bars!

C + T since 10.16.2004

May 14th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Hmmm, I may have to try the zone bars! Thanks for the idea. :-)

Crazy thing is I had ziti from Sbarro's last night for dinner, with a meatball and a salad. Granted, I only ate about half of the ziti itself, or a little more than half- feeling guilty the whole time.

My 2 hour post prandial was 83.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search