Do I really have GD?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 23rd, 2009, 08:10 PM
MamaPickles's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MamaPickles Send a message via Yahoo to MamaPickles
So a few weeks ago I took my 2nd 1 hour glucola this pregnancy (my doc makes overweight women do it early in pregnancy too) and failed it with flying colors....I think it was like 178. My doc told me that I had two choices...1) Take the 3 hour and if I passed, she'd make me re-take the 3 hour. 2) Start monitoring my blood sugars 4x a day.

I REALLY hated taking the glucola...even though it was better this time than in early pregnancy.

So my question is this - I haven't been overly strict on myself...mainly because I'm getting what I think are pretty good blood sugars. Tonight I had a really GD friendly meal (steak and cucumber salad) and my 2 hour pp was 68! Even for a healthy meal, I'm thinking that's pretty good right? I've been checking for 2 weeks now and I've only had a handful of sugars that have been over 100...the highest being Mother's day at 123 when I totally pigged out and had a piece of pie on top of that.

Do you think it's possible that i don't have GD at all? The last few days I've been really slacking some...ie: not taking my blood sugars 4x a day. Mainly because I feel like even when I "cheat" I get pretty good numbers...think 90's.

What's your opinion? Advice?

C + T since 10.16.2004

May 24th, 2009, 03:03 AM
photophreak's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You may not have it. or you may just be a little glucose intolerant, and not full on GD.

If I was in your position(and I recently was..lol) I would want to know the results of the 3 hour test. Also, what does your doc say about your normal fingerstick values?

My 1 hour came back elevated. All of my fingersticks were normal. My 3 hour came back normal. My doc let me off the hook, so to speak, and I'm just monitoring sugars now and then to make sure they stay in range (just due to the fact that the 1 hour was elevated)
May 24th, 2009, 09:40 AM
babypea09's Avatar Veteran
except I didn't do the 3 hour one
my 1 hour was just slightly high so I checked my levels for about a week till I saw my Dr. and he was happy with them and said just to check once in a while

May 24th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I'm glad to hear that others have had similar experiences. I haven't yet spoken to my doctor about my normal finger sticks, but the diabetes educator at my doctor's office says that they look great...I'll talk to her on Tuesday maybe. (I happen to have the luxury of working for my doc)

C + T since 10.16.2004

May 25th, 2009, 02:09 PM
mama2aredhead2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mama2aredhead2
What was in the cucumber salad? Because steak and salad has no carbs. What did you drink? Even with GD you should be eating 45-60g of carbs at dinner. Your numbers are going to be low if you are not eating carbs. Have you been taking your fasting sugars? If so how have those been? Your 1 hr number was pretty high. My 1 hr was 158 and I failed the fasting of my 3 hr so badly that I was dx'd with GD without even taking the remainder of the test. Continue taking your blood sugars 4x a day and see what your numbers are. Also make sure you are eating carbs along with protein as your body needs it. Does your dr want you to see an endo or dietician?

Thanks SandKmommy for my siggy!

May 25th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2aredhead2 View Post
What was in the cucumber salad? Because steak and salad has no carbs.
I was thinking the same thing..

I still get low numbers like you mentioned, but I don't think my GD is full blown yet.. I do notice a spike in my numbers when I eat lots of potatoes.. But I still can eat some without it affecting my numbers.. But everything else is still free game.. But I haven't had much pie, but I had a huge piece of cherry pie and my numbers was in the 80's.. But that's only short lived.. lol

If I were you, I would still keep watching your numbers.. Because you never know when GD can show it's ugly face.. I personally have not done any Glucose tests with my second pregnancy.. I choose to watch my BS and wait for the GD to show up. I'd rather catch the problem myself, then to wait for a scheduled tests.. But I've had GD with my first pregnancy.. So I know it's coming.. lol

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; May 25th, 2009 at 11:16 PM.
May 27th, 2009, 08:23 AM
My fastings are in the 80's - low 90's. This morning it was 83.

My cucumber salad has olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano, and lots of feta cheese.

This was a pretty low carb meal, but even when I "cheat" and eat more carbs than I'm supposed to or eat something totally out of the box (Think jethro bowl of cocoa pebbles) I'm only getting number like 110 for a post prandial.

It may be like some of you said...it just hasn't gotten full blown yet. Our doctor's office has a gestational diabetes nurse educator that I have to check in with. I spoke to my doctor yesterday morning and she said to keep taking my fastings for sure and just make sure I do at least 1 post prandial every day and try to vary which meals I take them on. I'm totally fine with that...gives me a little more freedom from the glucose monitor.

C + T since 10.16.2004

May 28th, 2009, 01:11 PM
bright future's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Your blood sugar should never be high unless you have GD, diabetes or at a very minimum glucose intolerance (which is just a nice way of saying early-stage diabetes). You should be monitoring your blood sugar and eating appropriately, taking medication or insulin if needed.

Here's how my hematologist described it with my last pregnancy: If you don't have diabetes, you can eat an entire chocolate cake and it will not spike your blood sugar for any reason ever... your body would take care of it. If you blood sugar is elevated from any food, you have some degree of diabetes.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search