insulin units

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2009, 06:13 AM
I was diagnosed with GD about 3 weeks ago, and finally got put on insulin this week. I'm taking humulog with meals and humulin N at nighttime. Right now I'm doing 3 units of humulog with meals, and trying 5 units of the humulin N at night. My fasting was still a tad high this morning (Canadian scale - 5.3, doctor wants it under 5.0).

How many units is everyone on? I felt guilty for having to go on insulin. Don't know why.
June 10th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I'm on insulin NPH at night for my fasting blood sugars and I don't feel guilty. Because there's no way I can control my fasting blood sugars. I was on insulin NPH for my FBS with my daughter and I'm on it again with my son.. But this is your first time dealing with this, so it's expected.. I was the same way when I had GD for the first time.. But just remember your doing this to keep your little one safe..

I'm currently on 20 units of NPH at night and my fasting blood sugars are under 90.. But lately they are in the 88-89 range.. I know soon, I'll have to up to 22 units at night once it get above 90..

June 12th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I'm on an NPH insulin at night, trying 7 units right now. I also have to take it before meals (a fast acting one).
June 12th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm on NPH at night for my fastings. I just got bumped up to 12 units (was 10) and today was the first time my fasting was under 90 (it was 88).

June 21st, 2009, 07:16 PM
sns1009's Avatar Regular
I'm on NPH at night too. They started me on 10u but we are moving up to 12u tonight. Hope we can figure out the right amount soon!!
June 24th, 2009, 08:45 PM
bubbles1014's Avatar Veteran
I;m on 12 units of NPH and 2 units per carb of humulog for meal times but my numbers have been creeping up again so I am assuming they will be raising my insulin for meal times soon.

June 26th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Up to 16U NPH at bedtime.

June 27th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Newbies
Hi Redpeony, I'm new to this too and they've raised mine 3 times in the last 10 days - the diabetes educator who reviews my numbers said they'll adjust them ongoing to get and then keep them in the target range as the pregnancy progresses.

I cried my eyes out when the endocronologist said I needed to start insulin - lots of stuff I read online seemed to suggest if I just did enough exercise and followed the diet closely enough I would avoid it ! So it felt like I'd let my baby and my body down or not tried hard enough - definitely felt like a failure on my part. But as my DH reminded me this isn't about anything I have or haven't done, it's another cruddy hormone thing - just like mood swings and leaky boobs - out of our control ! So chase those nasty guilt demons away - you're doing a great thing for your baby and yourself by taking the insulin and managing your levels

BTW, don't know if you know this, but to translate between the BGL scale we use and lots of the others use online, times your (or divide their) figures by 18.

Good luck !!
June 27th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I'm still at 20 units at night and my day numbers are still in the single digits!! I also started taking a new brand of fish oil and it dropped my day and fasthing blood sugar by 10-20 points.. What a great deal.. To bad this brand of fish oil is so darn expensive.. But worth every penny..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; June 27th, 2009 at 06:17 AM.

Tags
injections , insulin

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search