GD started at 5 weeks

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 11th, 2009, 09:24 PM
sns1009's Avatar Regular
Hi everyone!

I had GD with my DS and we caught it at about 26 weeks. I just found out I'm pregnant and started back on the diet and this morning started checking my numbers. They are way off. I called the doctor and they aren't seeing me until Monday. I'm scared to go all weekend with high numbers. I'm so worried that being in the 1st tri it might harm the baby. Anyone else get GD this early?
June 12th, 2009, 12:36 AM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy
I was diagnosed with my daughter at 17.5weeks. I've always been told that GD in the first trimester means that you had undiagnosed diabetes prior to being pregnant but your doctor will have to tell you for sure.

June 12th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I may be pre-diabetic.. That's why it's soo important for us that had GD get tested every year for diabetes.. Because the first trimester is the most important time to keep your blood sugars under control..

I started monitoring my blood sugars the day I found out I was pregnant. On my own.. I didn't want to wait until I was 15 weeks to do a test. My Dr's even said I was smart for doing this.. My numbers were good except for my fasting blood sugars, which were not high.. They were around 95-110.. Normal, but not normal for pregnant women.. I started insulin around 8 weeks.. My Endo said my numbers look great and since my A1c came back good (5.5 not diabetic), I may be boarder line diabetic or not.. I would request a A1c test from your doctor and just keep your numbers low for now.. I wouldn't worry to much unless your blood sugars are in the 200's..

Oh, and I also had my gender U/S and my baby is growing right were he should be.. Not big at all and everything is where it should be..

For this weekend.. Just follow your diet that you had with your first pregnancy.. Salads, wheat pasta.. You know the fun foods.. j/k

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; June 12th, 2009 at 06:22 AM.
June 12th, 2009, 09:46 AM
sns1009's Avatar Regular
I had an A1C done in Feb and the results came back normal. So, I guess unless I developed diabetes in the last 4 months I have GD. I started testing right away too. Boy, has it been hard to get a doctor to see me this early in the pregnancy. I was able to get an appointment today so hopefully I can get on insulin and all will be well.
June 13th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by sns1009 View Post
I had an A1C done in Feb and the results came back normal. So, I guess unless I developed diabetes in the last 4 months I have GD. I started testing right away too. Boy, has it been hard to get a doctor to see me this early in the pregnancy. I was able to get an appointment today so hopefully I can get on insulin and all will be well.
Your vary smart for testing right away.. And I'm glad your A1c came back normal.. It's a good feeling huh? I was so happy when mine came back normal because a midwife that I saw scared the crap out of me saying I was probably diabetic. I knew she was wrong because my numbers were normal.. She was looking at my FBS numbers and in the non pregnant world, my FBS was in the normal range. I also had the same problem with my doctors.. I had to beg and pled to get my referral to my Endo.. What was nice about having my diabetic log is that I was able to start insulin at my first visit with my Endo. In the medical world, you have to be pro-active about your health or if you don't you'll just get lost in the system..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; June 13th, 2009 at 08:57 AM.
June 14th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was diagnosed with GD at just about 13 weeks... i was technically 12w 4days... but i say it was 13 weeks.... makes me feel a bit better when i say 13... ha
June 15th, 2009, 07:23 AM
maryslittlelambs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I started insulin at 6 weeks. I was pre-diabetic before and on Metformin. Before pregnancy my A1c was 5.9. Right before delivery it was 4.4!! I go back in July to see what my new A1c is. My last bloodwork showed a fasting of 105, which she said was fine and to not modify my diet anymore. I'm still checking my fasting occassionally, and it's usually around 115 or so, so still a little high for my liking. She didn't want me to go back on Metformin because I'm not TTC but I'd still like to go back on it to keep me out of the pre-diabetic range.

Thank you *kiliki* for the beautiful siggy!

June 15th, 2009, 08:09 AM
bubbles1014's Avatar Veteran
I have had GD with all three of my pregnancies but with this last one I developed it around 10 weeks and I was checking my blood sugars before that and they were normal until then. I am hoping I wasn't diabetic before I got pregnant either.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search