Not sure what to think..

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 9th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had gestational diabetes my last pregnancy, well probably all of them but didn't know, only found it last time because I was checking my blood sugar at home to see how certain foods effected my numbers. Anyway, I was able to control my post sugar numbers by watching my diet but I kept having high fasting readings and eventually had to take insulin for it. But it seems my fasting numbers didn't start getting high until later in the pregnancy. I'm only 7 weeks today and have just been checking my sugar in the mornings and occassionally after meals, since that was what my last doc had recommended until I was later in the pregnancy and started seeing the numbers creeping up. The new doc, also said I probably didn't have to worry until later when the plactena started making me resistant, but did order the A-1 test to see if maybe I've been having a problem before I was preggo.

So to my wonderings....the last 2 mornings my readings were 127 and today 126! I was in class yesterday and forgot to check my reading 2 hrs after b'fast, but today it was 101 after meals. This was a new testing strip pack, but I did calibrate my machine and i checked the expiration date. I am going to go buy some testing solution today so I can check and be sure the machine is working properly. But I would think if it is testing high then my after meal would be high too, unless maybe it was somehow lower than 101. Anyone have trouble this early in pregnancy?
October 9th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi! Welcome to the board, and congrats on your pregnancy! I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes in Oct of last year, so when I got pregnant my endo gave me a meter right away. I could definately see that I had some insulin resistance problems, but didn't really have any horrible numbers til a couple of weeks ago, probably around 24 weeks (which incidentally was when my endo said to start looking out for higher numbers). My guess is that you were pre-diabetic before you got pregnant like I was.
I will sometimes have lower numbers an hour after a meal than my pre-meal number - particularly if my meal had a lot of protein in it. The other day my fasting number was 92 and my 1-hr after breakfast number was 87! The other day I had a high number after a naughty snack, then ate a bunch of pumpkin seeds and that brought it down from 161 to 101. Try to keep something that is high in protein but low in carbs around, like nuts or cheese, and see if that will bring a high number down.
I'm so glad that I knew about the pre-diabetes before getting pregnant - it was just a routine test and I had no risk factors other than family history so I was shocked - because it gave me time to play around with different foods and figure out what works and what doesn't, so that I don't have to figure it out now while I am having more insulin resistance.
October 9th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, last time, I tested almost every morning and then after several meals or after I ate something new to see how I did. And I didn't notice anything too bad until around 24 weeks.Then I started testing regularly fasting and after all meals. And I would have my after breakfast meal numbers be lower than my fastings quite often. I very well could be prediabetic. Yesterday, I thought it was a fluke or something so today really surprised me. I'll really watch over the weekend and give my doc a call Monday if it keeps up.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search