Food Log 10/14 & 10/15

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 15th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wednesday:
Fasting: 88
B: 1 hard-boiled egg, multi-grain hot cereal, tea
1hr: 105
S: Special K with milk
L: Healthy Choice roasted beef merlot with veggies, pear slices with cinnamon
1hr: 93
S: Cheese & bean quesadilla on whole-grain tortilla with salsa
D: Shrimp gumbo made with brown rice
1hr: 103
S: Milk & a cookie
S: Fiber bar, milk

Thursday:
Fasting: 87
B: South Beach protein bar, 2 clementines, peppermint tea
S: Milk & whole-grain Goldfish crackers
L: Lean Cuisine Baja chicken quesadilla, salad
1hr: 90
S#1: Milk & a cookie
S#2: Popcorn with pumpkin seeds, tea
D: Left-over shrimp gumbo, apple slices with cinnamon
S#1: Fiber bar, milk
S#2: Whole-grain goldfish crackers

Last edited by bearbait; October 16th, 2009 at 05:03 AM.
November 1st, 2009, 08:38 AM
Thanks for posting what you are eating...I guess a cookie isnt that bad...sometimes I just want one, only one, so I might try it for a snack and see how that does. I have managed to come up with some sorta easy things that I have been eating that help manage incorporating veggies and protein into my diet too here are a few of the ideas.
I have found that if you think of your grocery shopping trip as not over till everything is put away and food is prepared it is much easier to stick to some of these things, and it doesnt take that much more time
Buy a rotisserie chicken, de-bone it as soon as you get it home and you will have a lot of quick protein. I will sometimes mix in some mustard and a little mayo (or light ranch dressing-which is a great substitue for mayo for a lot of things) for quick chicken salad sandwich or topping to a bed of greens for an easy high protein salad.

Easy mayo-free coleslaw, buy a bag of the shredded cabbage, add 2 diced tomatoes, small red onion, juice from one lemon or lime, chopped cilantro, add some low fat italian dressing. Now you have a great high veggie, low carb ready made salad. Grab a bowl full when you are ready to eat. Makes plenty and lasts several days in the fridge.

Spinach-we all hear it is good for us, but how to eat it where it tastes good?? I typically will put a plate full of it in the microwave, nuke it for about a min (depends on power), stir and put it back for another min. It will wilt beautifully and have that lovely bright green healthy color to it. I will add balsamic vinegrette and sometimes roasted garlic. Delicious!

Last thing...I am from the south and we eat a lot of rice, so limiting rice has been a challenge especially with those lovely southern rice and gravy recipies I cook. So I have supplimented rice with grated zuchinni and yellow squash that grate with a regular cheese grater, steam in microwave, drain off water. They dont really have much of a flavor to detract from the gravy or rice and I can mix with my cooked rice and still have my meat and gravy and feel full after I eat!

I am full of more ideas, and I'll be honest, they do require some prep, but I am no Paula Dean prepper-this is practical prepping, I make things in bulk and they are excellent for those snacks and helping to stay on track with the GD meals. Because they are made with regular store bought items, they are extremely practical and save money on those meals in a box. If you have young children, it is also fun to get them involved in the kitchen as well. I'll keep adding if more folks are interested!

eat on!
November 3rd, 2009, 10:08 AM
~Angela~'s Avatar Mommy to 3
WOW! Thanks for the tips!

Also bearbait, it helps to get ideas from your menus, thanks for posting.

I'm struggling with this new diet. It sucks. I have developed and aversion to meat (except ground chicken), have always hated PB and have only ever really eaten lots of pasta and fruit since being pg. arg. Sorry for the vent.
November 3rd, 2009, 01:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hmm, maybe I'll start posting my menus again. I stopped a few weeks ago because I was sick and not on-line much, and there also seemed to be a lack of interest. I've been having really good readings lately - not one out-of-range number since I got better from my cold, despite being on bedrest the past few days. Last night we went to Waffle House and I had a bowl of chili and a grilled cheese sandwich on wheat bread. I know this was over my 30grams of carbs per meal/snack allowance, but an hour later my sugar was in the 90's. I have been eating either an apple or a pear with cinnamon sprinkled on it every day, and I know cinnamon is supposed to help regulate blood sugar, so maybe that's it? Try it, it tastes yummy and certainly can't hurt!!

lilbitsmom, we've been eating a lot of rotisserie chickens lately, as it is one thing both my boys will eat. We eat it with brown rice and broccoli or green beans the first night, then hubby picks it clean and we use it in tacos or soup the next night.
November 7th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Glad I could help...This diet does leave me hungry at times, not hungry because it doesnt give me enough food, but hungry because I am not really satisfied with the food. I know that is pathetic, but its true. I have tried the one cookie and a glass of milk before bed and well that cookie has never tasted so darn good!

Oh this week, I ended up eating some potato soup, it was a mix we bought at costco. I added some ham to up the protein. Threw in some extra veggies like green beans and then ate my soup over steamed spinach. I topped my soup with low fat cheese, green onions, and a spoonful of low fat sour cream. It was delicious and my sugar was at 97 afterwards! Plus I was actually full, satisfied, and didnt get hungry a little while later.

Bearbait, thanks for the tip about the cinnamon, I have been adding it to a lot of things, for flavor and glad to know it might be helping! Certainly helps with flavor!

Oh one other item....went to a resaturant this week for lunch and ordered the lovely steamed veggies and some rice with a piece of grilled salmon. There was supposed to be some sauce, but I opted for no sauce, not knowing what it was. Of course, there was way too much rice, so i went ahead and removed the rice to get to the right portions and the waitress brought me some soy sauce. So remember soy sauce when trying to add flavor to those veggies and rice!

Last edited by lilbitsmom; November 7th, 2009 at 09:12 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search