Failed my 3-hr

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 23rd, 2009, 10:29 AM
~Angela~'s Avatar Mommy to 3
I got the results of my 3-hr glucose test. They were above normals limits but not horrible

Fast 111
1-hr 192
2-hr 160
3-hr 107

My OB wants me to attend a diabetes center class for gestational diabetes, but the next one is not until Nov 5. Wondering if I will cause any problems if I continue to eat like I normally due until then, or if I should start trying to limit my carbs.

Anyone remember what their #'s were from their 3-hr?
October 23rd, 2009, 10:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had insulin-resistance before getting pregnant, so when I got pregnant my endocrinologist just gave me a monitor. I do remember with both of my previous pregnancies I failed the 1-hr test and barely squeaked by the 3-hr test and my doc just said to "watch my sugars" but gave no advice other than that. I believe that I developed GD in my second pregnancy, and finally one of the doctors in the practice decided to re-test me but I went into labor the day before the test was scheduled (I have a different, more pro-active doctor this time). My point is that you need to be careful even if your numbers are not that bad. High blood sugar levels age the placenta. My suggestion would be to start following the GD diet as best you can. Eat whole grains, make sure you have protein at each meal & snack which will help your body process the sugars. Keep your carbs under 60g for meals for now (your nutritionist may change that. My endocrinologist wants me to have 30g of carbs at each meal and snack, but most ladies' doctors seem to want them to have 30g at breakfast, 45g-60g at lunch & dinner and 15g at snacks). The further along you get the harder it is for your body to produce the right amount of insulin, so the sooner you get started on this the better.
Good luck!!
October 23rd, 2009, 11:48 AM
Thanks!
October 23rd, 2009, 12:32 PM
Another question, once you've been diagnosed, are there more frequest u/s to look for signs of a quickly aging placenta or growth of the baby? Just wondering what kinds of questions to ask at my next appt.
October 23rd, 2009, 09:38 PM
AngelaMarie's Avatar Owen's Mommy
I go for a weekly BPP and NST but that may not be the norm. I failed the 1 hr so bad we skipped the 3 hr and my numbers are outrageous. Plus the baby is really too big. The Peri did tell me if it wasn't as bad he wouldn't see me but every two weeks so maybe that's the norm?
October 27th, 2009, 06:41 PM
My recent failed 3hr glucose challenge (at 32 weeks):

fasting: 81
1 hour: 219
2 hour: 222
3 hour: 48

My test was on 10/22 & they've already started me on insulin. I'm on hospital bedrest....so it's easy for them to just start insulin. We did give a few days to try dietary restrictions.....but it hasn't really made a difference for me.
October 28th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My perinatologist wants an ultrasound once a month. I don't think they worry about the placenta aging much unless your blood sugar is uncontrolled. I believe the ultrasounds are more for checking the growth of the baby. My perinatologist is monitoring the baby once a month because I am hyperthyroid (so they need to check for goiter) and because of the GD. I am only 28 weeks, so I don't know if they will want to see me more often as I get closer to my due date.
October 28th, 2009, 02:31 PM
rosehip's Avatar Super Mommy
I've started the biophysical profile ultrasounds once a week at 37 weeks. Baby was actually measuring SMALL. :/ About 5lbs13oz - 6lbs at 37 weeks.

My testing results were...

1 hr glucose test: 180

3 hr glucose test:

fasting- 87
1 hr - 201
2 hr - 180
3 hr - 99

My GD's controlled with diet and exercise alone, but just barely. I'm not that worried though because the baby's so small. If anything, I wonder if I'm not giving him enough nutrition. Then again my husband was a small baby (little over 6lbs) so it could also be genetic...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search