Already on glyburide before bed, what's my next step?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 13th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Hi! I'm new to these boards and I really need some help with my GD. This is my second time around with GD, it was never really under control with my first pregnancy. I was on insulin with first pregnancy. This pregnancy I'm on glyburide before bed to help with my fasting numbers and so far it's working. The only problem is now my 2hr post lunch and dinner numbers are high (140-160) no matter what I eat.

What's my next step? Glyburide before each meal? More in the evening? I'm so frustrated because I've already had to cut out all fruit from my diet because they make my numbers absolutely crazy. I'm 24 wks currently so I have a long ways to go.

Thanks,
Andrea
November 14th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How many carbs do you eat at lunch & dinner? My 1-hr post-meal numbers were kinda high until my endo told me to cut down to 30g of carbs per meal/snack. So I get 30g of carbs 6 times a day, and it's been working. It makes for rather small meals, but the snacks are large so it works out. Just make sure there is a lot of protein in each meal or snack. For meals, I aim for around 20g of protein; for snacks, around 10g of protein, and the carbs have to be whole grain. Usually, your blood sugar will be highest an hour to 1 1/2 hours after a meal; fatty foods may cause it to spike later, so if you are eating a lot of fatty foods then your 2-hr number may be high. Also, moving around a bit after meals may bring your numbers down. So, save your chores for after meals and see if that helps. Vacuuming always does wonders for my blood sugar.
When my post-meal numbers were high, my endo said I'd have to go on glyburide before meals if I couldn't get my numbers down, so I'd imagine that is what your doc will do. Are you on insulin at all?
November 14th, 2009, 12:13 PM
bearbait - Thanks for the reply. My current diet plan from the dietician is:
15g carb for breakfast and my 3 snacks w/10g or more protein
30g carb plus a fruit and a milk for lunch and dinner w/30g of protein or more

Most of the time I substitute a carb for the fruit and/or milk if we're out as it's almost impossible to find them at a restaurant. Any more carbs at breakfast and my numbers are too high so I eat a tiny breakfast. Also, I tend to eat way less carbs at dinner when we go out to eat that's why it's so frustrating. I'm not nearly getting a proper balanced meal with what I'm eating now. I'd almost rather get glyburide before a meal and be able to have fruit or milk to feel like I'm getting more balance.

I'm doing no insulin this pregnancy. The OB is using the glyburide as a substitute for the insulin. It gives me terrible heartburn but the insulin was really hard for me to do last time and with a 2yr old I can't imagine trying to give myself shots before meals when he's around. Even walking after meals is not lowering my numbers like it used to. I took a 40 min walk after lunch the other day and my numbers barely dropped. Another issues I'm having is terrible bloating and tummy issues from eating all the protein. I had my gallbladder removed some time ago and the amount of veggies and protein is starting to tear up my stomach. Nuts and cheese are really, really upsetting my stomach now. I'm having terrible cramps from it.
November 15th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've seen a lot of GD diet plans that have a fruit & a milk added to each meal, but I think that is just too many carbs. The milk has about 12 carbs and the fruit usually has 15-20. I'd say only have the milk at a meal if your protein for that meal is low; otherwise, save it for snack time. The only time I get fruit at a meal is if I eat a Healthy Choice beef merlot bowl or Lean Cuisine salmon with whole grain orzo meal - they have a lot of protein and are low enough in carbs to allow for a piece of fruit or at least half a piece.
South Beach Living high protein cereal bars have 10g protein and 12 net carbs, so I can have a piece of fruit with that for a snack or breakfast.
Have you tried Special K cereal for a snack? It has 6g protein, add half a cup of milk and you got 10g protein. You may be able to get away with putting some berries on top too - berries are generally pretty low in carbs. There is no fiber in Special K so it may be a good option for you on days when you have a lot of fiber on your menu.
You said nuts bother you. Is creamy peanut butter too hard for your stomach to handle? If not, try it spread on an apple.
Good luck! I hope you are able to find a meal plan that works for you.
November 15th, 2009, 03:55 PM
AngelaMarie's Avatar Owen's Mommy
I have to really watch my fruit and milk intake. They shoot my numbers way up. I really can only have milk during my morning snack and lunch. I have to avoid it at dinner and evening snack. Some fruits I can tolerate and some I can't. I'd try eliminating those more and see if that helps. Like for example, I can't eat bananas at all. None. My numbers will go up over 200 from one banana. Good luck! I'm on insulin but for me it's a god send. I feel so much like my old self on it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search