BTDT GD moms x posted

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 9th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Indymommy7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I had my 36 week ultrasound today, and he's 8 pounds and breech. For goodness sakes, what is he going to be when he's born?
I can't stomach my pains now
C-section is scheduled for the 30th.

I am worried about his health upon his arrival. I heard he may be spending some time in the NICU, but nothing really bad.

Blood sugar issues, really. So what can I expect? How long of a NICU stay.

Looking for anyone who has been through this! __________________
Wendy, wife to Tony

Mother to Chad 15, Alexa 14, Jeremiah 12, Madelyn 9, Korinne 2 and baby Skylar due 1/5/10

Read more: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...#ixzz0ZF0SHTIk

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

Thanks for the beautiful siggy
December 9th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Ellemphriem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had GD during pregnancy. Daughter was born 36 weeks 3 days (a premmie) due to another complication (not GD) 6 pounds. Didn't go to the NICU at all, and scored 9/10 apgar. She came home with us 3 days later............not a single issue after that. My GD didn't affect her at all......and neither did it affect me since it was controlled with diet and exercise and not medication. I wonder who told you the kid will end up in NICU......GD doesn't control who goes in NICU.....other issues do and that cannot be seen until the baby is delivered. No one can predict that now....

" \m/ Now Im riding through the air
going to where no one dares
on the way Ill cross the line forevermore \m/ "

December 10th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I believe there is some concern about GD babies lungs not developing as quickly as non-GD babies, so that may be the reason for the warning about NICU. They like GD babies to stay in your belly for at least 38 weeks because of that.

That being said - I'm pretty sure I had undiagnosed GD at the end of my last pregnancy. I was actually scheduled to re-take the glucose test but had him the day before the test. Ethan was born at 37 weeks and weighed 8 pounds 6 ounces. Lungs were great, absolutely nothing wrong with him. A bit on the big side, but don't know if that's because of the GD or just because big babies run in my hubby's family - he was a 10-pounder himself.
My first son was born at 36 weeks 2 days, weighed 7 pounds. No GD there, but I barely passed the 3-hr test so I did have some measure of insulin resistance. No explanation as to why he came early, spent an hour in the NICU because that is the hospital's policy with preemies, but they released him after an hour.
December 27th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I have not delivered yet but the reason they may go to the NICU is because when the baby is born, he is no longer dependent on your sugar so his/her sugar may be very low causing the baby to go to the NICU for observation for 24 hours to get their sugar stable with either bottles of sugar water or IV of sugar water. This was told to me by both my OB and the nurse that came to see me to set up my program for GD.
December 27th, 2009, 05:25 PM
My son was born at 36 weeks 2 days. He was 7lbs 2oz. I was on insulin throughout the pregnancy and they monitored him for his growth since he was clearly on the large size. I had preterm labor so we never got to the point where they needed to induce me or anything. He was sent to the NICU but for birth trama, he was not breathing at birth due to the length of time he spent in the birth canal (he was delivered vaginally after 3 1/2 hours of pushing). They were worried about his blood sugar but it was absolutely perfect. My hospital does have a policy of monitoring GD babies a little longer at the nursery than other babies due to the risk of blood sugar issues.

They are probably just warning you that's it's a possibility he might spend some time in the NICU based on his blood sugar. It's not a definate issue with every GD baby.

Good luck!

Andrea
DS 7/10/07
DD due 3/1/2010
GD w/both on insulin
December 27th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Newbies
My son was induced at 38w 4d in August, I had GD diagnosed at 26w and was on insulin 4x daily from 28w. He spent 3 days in the special care nursery because he had issues with blood sugar which lead to issues with his temperature, basically he was too cold, in all of our first photos of him he is either purple or blue (and in most of them he's under some kind of heater) !!

But after a few days he was (and still is) absolutely fine. My BSL's were all within the safe range for the last few weeks before his birth and I thought this meant we were in the clear so to speak - didn't expect any complications from the GD - I was quite shocked when we still had a difficult few first days. So IMO its great that you're prepared !

Kelly
December 30th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Don't stress out to much about the weight.. The U/S can be off!!

Are you measuring big?

I had GD with both of my pregnancies and I was on a good amount of insulin for my FBS.. With my last pregnancy, they said he was 6 lbs 3 oz's at my 32 week u/s.. This freaked me out.. Then I had a U/S at 37 weeks and he measured 6 lbs 9 oz's.. Obviously my 32 week one was wrong. But at my weekly appointments I measured a week behind then a week ahead, then the week I'm in.. My son was born at 39 week weighing 7 lbs 13 oz's.. No health problems at all, he even had a APGAR score of 9.9/10! My daughter was a small baby, born at 6 lbs 15 oz's at 39 weeks..

I did keep my blood sugars at 74 during my inducement, didn't need any medications. I was allowed to eat until I got the epidural.. Both of my kids didn't require any "special" medical attention and they stayed in my room the whole time.. We also went home the next day..

Good luck..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; December 30th, 2009 at 01:31 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search