Hi all!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 10th, 2009, 11:33 AM
wonderwoman's Avatar Veteran
Hi,
My name is Sara, married to James, and I'm due with my first baby at the end of March. I found out I have GD a week and a half ago. I've been working on the diet and walking every day. It was frustrating for the first few days when the numbers seemed to randomly go up and down even though I was watching what I ate very strictly, but it seems to be evening out now.
I look forward to getting to know all of you!
Sara
December 10th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi and welcome! I'm Rachel, pregnant with my third. I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes last November, so my endo has had me following the GD diet and testing an hour after each meal. So far I've been able to keep it under control with diet & exercise. I know what you mean about the random numbers - sometimes I'll eat the same thing two days in a row and get very different numbers. After one particular meal I got a 117 the first night, 143 the second night, and 98 the third night! My activity level after each meal wasn't that different.
December 10th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Thanks! I was kind of shocked about it. I admit that I wasn't eating quite as well as I could have, but I wasn't going completely overboard. And I was walking 3-4 days a week for 45 min. Oh, well. Hopefully it will make it easier to lose weight afterwards.
Yep, it's strange. Although, I have figured out that my lotion affects the numbers. The other morning, the only thing I had on my hands was lotion. Washed once and got 95, promptly washed again and got 72. So there are all kinds of things that seem to affect it.
I am staying away from milk because that was seeming to shoot the numbers up. I may try it again, since I haven't bee doing this very long, but I'm okay w/yogurt instead.
December 11th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Hi Sara- I just got diagnosed too. I'll be seeing the dietician next Tuesday but I'm trying to figure things out and get everything under control as best I can before then too.

Levi Aaron- January 14, 2008
December 11th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Lol, I had the same problem with the lotion (Keri) at my office! I have to make sure to scrub my hands well before testing when I am at work. I use St Ives or sometimes Suave at home, and they don't seem to effect my numbers.

A lot of people seem to have trouble with milk, but I don't. It's weird how some foods will cause some people problems but not others. Unfortunately it's just trial and error at first
December 13th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
^-- I agree.. How some people can eat certain foods and other people can't.. I use to be able to eat a donut and 1 hour later my BS was 72.. But I couldn't eat fruit.. Crazy huh?

I don't have GD anymore, but I wanted to say good luck and hang in there..

December 17th, 2009, 06:45 AM
~Angela~'s Avatar Mommy to 3
I had the same issues. I did end up realizing if I upped my protein intake a lot, it helped.
December 18th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Thanks for your encouragement ladies!
Rebeka- did you have your appointment yet? Just make sure you read the labels carefully, and eat more protein. You also have to eat fewer carbs at breakfast than any other meal (or at least I do- bye bye cereal, hello eggs and toast).

It is wierd how the diets all have to be different. I'm finding that with most foods, I can only have 30 grams of carbs, even at lunch and dinner, even though they originally said to try it at 45g. Although I can eat corn tortillas as my carbs and the numbers stay low. That's okay because I LOVE tacos and quesadillas.
December 22nd, 2009, 12:22 PM
I went to my first appointment last week- and have my second tomorrow. I'm glad I had already started monitoring and tracking my foods because it made everything easier and made much more sense.

You're so right about all diets- even just for me different things have effected me differently! I have to be extremely careful for breakfast but lunch and dinner haven't been so bad as far as figuring out what to eat. Although last night I ate 1/2 a sweet potato (and chicken and brocolli) and it really spiked my levels but I ate 1/2 a sweet potato, steak and salad last week and the numbers were well within range.

Levi Aaron- January 14, 2008
December 22nd, 2009, 12:59 PM
Whenever I get a higher number, I wash my hands again, just in case I touched something that affected the number. Also, when I first started the diet, the same foods would affect my numbers differently on different days. Now it has evened out a lot.
December 22nd, 2009, 02:20 PM
Marlz.
Hi and welcome! I hope the ladies here can give you a heap of great advice.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search