We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
My Dr. said she would wait for me to go into labor if that's what I want, as long as the baby is doing well (NST's weekly). I recently read that stillbirth as a result of GD increases after the 39th week. That scares the crap out of me...I can't even figure out what causes the stillbirth associated with GD. I don't want to induced and either a) end up with a c-section, which really scares me or b) a baby that ends up in NICU because her lungs haven't fully matured.
Is anyone else planning on being induced before 40 weeks to to GD? If so, why? Or are you waiting to go into labor?
I'm absolutely planning on being induced prior to 40 weeks. I'm very worried about the placenta breaking down early due to the amount of insulin I'm taking. I plan to be induced at 38 weeks if the baby is not measuring super huge and my sugars are being managed relatively well on a manageable amount of insulin. My son was born at 36 weeks 2 days and his lungs were absolutely perfect. He was enormous, 7lbs 2oz for his gestational age so I'm extremely concerned about that this time.
It's such a personal decision and you have to weigh the risks. For me, I'm extremely concerned about my sugar levels, which I'm having a hard time controlling despite all the insulin I'm on, and their effects on my baby.
Good luck with your decision!
DD due 03/01/10
GD with both pregnancies, insulin with both
^ My first son was also born at 36 weeks 2 days, and weighed 7 pounds 1 ounce! But he was not a GD baby, big babies just run in DH's family (he was 10 pounds himself).
Angela, talk to your doctor about your concerns. If you want to be induced early maybe they can give you a steroid shot a few days before induction to speed up lung development.
I'm having a planned C-section this time (had to have an emergency C-section last time after an hour of pushing), so I can't be of much help here. They are planning it for 39 weeks, but since my other two were both early (36 & 37 weeks) I'm guessing I won't make it to my C-date.
Rachel, mama to Luke (10/13/05), Ethan (6/24/07) & Liliana (1/1/10).
Are you on insulin? It only affects those who are taking insulin.. This is from my understanding.. My OB doctors talked about this to me.. They said, the rate of still birth drops due to the bi-weekly monitoring,etc..
I could have gone to 40 weeks with both of my kiddos and I was on good amount of insulin.. My daughter was born at 39 weeks and 2 days and was only 6 lbs 15 oz's, perfectly healthy.. My son was born at 39 weeks and 1 day and was 7 lbs 13 oz's and perfectly healthy.. I'm thinking they could have cooked up to 40 weeks.. And with both of my pregnancies, my body wasn't ready to go into labor, so being induced wasn't fun.. With my first, my inducement lasted 32 hours and with my second it lasted 10 hours.. With my last it could have been longer, but the doctor had the nurse push on my belly (really hard) to get my sons head pushed in the birth canal so they can brake my water.. They had to push so hard because they didn't want the cord to come out when they broke the water.. This speed up the labor.. So, I don't recommend getting induced.. Hurts like crazy.. lol
Oh and my doctor told me the same thing about going into labor naturally.. I told him that I doubt that would happen by 39 weeks.. lol At my 38 week appointment, I told him I was tired of giving myself shots and I was ready have my son.. So he FINALLY set the date at 39 weeks..
Well, I talked to her, and she said it depends on my cervix. It's high, firm, not effacted at all and I am 1 cm dialated, but I could have been for months since this is my 3rd baby. I'm on Glyburide. I guess I'll see if my cervix shows any signs of being ready at my next appt, but I doubt it. I'm guessing I'll have another 2 weeks before an induction date it set.