GD and Testing- Help!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2010, 07:56 PM
wonderwoman's Avatar Veteran
I'm wondering if any of you other GD ladies can help me out or if anyone is having the same problem. I am currently controlling my GD with diet and exercise. Fasting should be under 90 and under 130 1 hour after a meal.
I, like most people, REALLY don't want to end up on medication for this. If I get a number that's too high, then I test again. Sometimes I wash my hands again, but sometimes I just test on another finger. Within 30 seconds to 1.5 minutes of the first test, I usually get a number that is 10+ points below the first one.
Is anyone else having this problem? Do you know how fast your blood sugar can change in 1 minute? The other day I got 140 on one finger, immediately tested another finger and got 111. I recorded the 111 on the paper I have to send in, but maybe my blood sugar can really change that fast and the 140 was the correct number? I just don't know! The couple of times I retested and the number stayed the same, I reported the number being too high.

Any thoughts? I don't want to be reporting the wrong numbers, but I don't want to end up on medication if the number is actually different.
January 20th, 2010, 05:21 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
Your blood sugar cannot change that quickly. It takes 10-20 minutes for a rise if you consume juice/sugar, and much much longer to drop. Glucometers are only accurate to plus/minus 10 points, so a 10 point difference in under 20-30 minutes doesn't always mean anything.

But remember, false highs are more common than false lows, so if you got a 111 only 1 minute after a 140, it's the 111 that is accurate. I am a regular diabetic and test a zillion times a day, I have found that if you use too little blood you can get a false high.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

January 20th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I always get a false high too if I don't use enough blood. I can get a difference of 20 points or more sometimes. I double test alot because I tend to not use enough blood. I use the lower number most of the time. The meters are not perfect and I had a real hard time with this.

I've learn to accept that a 130 is pretty darn close to my target of 120 and to only really sweat the numbers over 140. My OB takes the same approach. Good luck! As you get farther in your pregnancy it gets harder and harder to control without medicine or insulin, especially if you're already hitting up against your target numbers.

Andrea
DS 2.5
DD due 3/1/10
Gestional diabetes w/both
Insulin w/both
Currently on 18U NPH evening, 30U lantus at lunch
January 20th, 2010, 09:14 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I wanted to add that I was scared of medicine too at first, though they decided just a few days later that I needed insulin no option, and I'm REALLY happy I'm on insulin. I get such good control on medication, it's much less stressful. And baby is doing great!

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

January 27th, 2010, 12:23 PM
WoodysWife2005's Avatar Veteran
I am on Metformin, no insulin, but am watching my numbers as I have an extreme needle phobia. The tester the nurse (not the Dr) gave me is just what she said to me- painless (thank God!). I found out early when testing that the numbers can be that off and it makes me crazy. I also found out just what these ladies said that if I use too little of blood that I get a higher number. My OB told me I could take the thing in to get it caliberated, but the office to do this is not close and frankly as long as I know the thing is off I just wing it. Only when I get a really wonky # now do I re-test quickly. I agree as well that it can not possibly change that much in a minute or less- so I use the lower # and for that simply because I know that the Dr's will get wound up if I don't.
The Metformin has kept me relatively in check though and I do not need insulin.
February 5th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Momeejenjen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Momeejenjen
Yes, high numbers can occur by false readings, There are many times I've had to test again and again.
February 25th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the tip on high numbers coming from too little blood. I did not know that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search