9 weeks w/ TWINS Just diagnosed GDM - Worried and need advice

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 5th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Hello

Thank you for stopping by my thread. I am 9 weeks (almost 10) pregnant with twins, obese, PCOS and now (as you would expect) diagnosed with gestational diabetes.

This is my first couple days of monitoring my blood sugar and I would like to know others experience advice.

I am supposed to test 4x a day
-Before breakfast with levels of less than 90
- 1 Hour after Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner with levels less than 140

So far I found that my morning levels are super high...this morning I was 92 before breakfast and 202 one hour after breakfast! I had 1 cup of yogurt for breakfast which equaled just under 30grams of carbs (which is my goal for breakfast).

So that freaked me out. So for my mid morning snack I tried for under 2 carbs with more protein and took my reading after an hour and it was 142.

Yesterday after lunch I had a reading of 150 which i was disappointed about but I thought that it was not SO far out of range that maybe with a walk after lunch or something I could bring that down.

Basically I am wondering how these readings compare and does it really help like after a few days or a week of exercising to controlling those numbers even more or am I just a hopeless case at this point with only having measured my sugar a few times so far with half the readings being over what they are supposed to be.

I am learning that the morning is the worse time for the hormones in pregnant women and that sugar is always high then hence the low carb intake for the morning. I was just wondering if I should cut it back to 1 carb and higher protein for breakfast as well as make sure I walk for 30 mins after breakfast.

Right now I am thinking about walking 15 mins after everytime I eat. Is that crazy? I really really want these babies to be healthy and do this without insulin, but even with insulin I will be fine if my levels come down. My biggest concern right now is birth defects since it is so early in my pregnancy. Of course everyone is trying to make me feel better (dietician and docs) by reassuring me that they will take good care of me and everythign will be fine but that doesnt help me. I just want to break down crying right now. We did fertility for 6 years and we were convinced it would never happen and now it has and with twins, I just don't know what I would do if something bad happens to them!

So can anyone out there tell me their experience if it was similar to mine...
How close do your levels have to be before they interfere with medicine? I mean I understand that 202 is out of line by far, but is 150? 92?

Thanks for your help and sorry for the long post...hopefully you hung in there and read through it all!

Sillysqrrl
March 6th, 2010, 08:04 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
Hi, I am your host Rebecca, I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes during my last pregnancy.

First off, if you are eating 1 cup of sugar that is 30 grams of carbs, you are eating yogurt that is full of sugar. I would try switching to Dannon Light and Fit, that brand has much less sugar, at about 15 grams per serving. Also, my diabetes nurse has me avoid milk and dairy in the mornings, it does weird thing to blood sugar.

I absolutely recommend insulin because it is the most effective way to control your blood sugar and it gives you a lot more flexibility with your diet. With pregnancy, you need a decent amount of carbs to keep the babies healthy, and insulin is very good at accommodating that. However, you might want to wait a few days to see if you "need" it, because most of the time your sugars will improve at least a little after the first few days on the diet.

Walking for 15 minutes after eating is a very good idea.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

March 7th, 2010, 06:00 AM
THanks for the reply Rebecca!

After 3 full days of doing this (4th day today) I have managed to have normal levels after every meal, but my fasting remains high (today it was 99)

You actually made me feel better about the insulin and that makes much more sense! I am having trouble getting in all the carbs required because in the morning i am afraid to eat more than 15grams at breakfast and snack, but it has kept my levels down. I am also concentrating on eating protein at every meal now that i realize how important it is to balance the carbs.

Yea, I have noticed the sugar is what makes my levels higher for sure so I am avoiding them at all costs early in the day, but that dang fasting level is my problem!

Thanks again!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search