I have GD. What should I expect on D-day?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Ang1885's Avatar Veteran
I know what's going to happen or have an idea before baby comes when it has to do with my GD but are there things they'll do or won't do because of the GD when I go into labor and deliver? I'm also a Hemophilia A carrier so nothing can be done that might bruise the baby or cause bleeding like forceps or scalp monitors OR shots or blood draws after birth so is this going to be really complicated for my doctors?

BTW, My name is Angela. I just found out I have GD today but also have PCOS and knew I was borderline diabetic. This is my first baby for DH and I and we're having a little boy in July! So far everything is good except finding out about the GD, I mean.

March 25th, 2010, 07:37 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
Hi, I'm Rebecca, I'm your host and a Type 1 diabetic. I am also having a boy, in early May some time.

Between the GD and being a carrier for hemophilia, you can probably expect external monitoring. I actually have it twice a week (it's called a Non-Stress Test during pregnancy) and it's very unobtrusive. They strap these belts onto your belly and listen to the baby's heartbeat. They also monitor his movements and your contractions, and just make sure that the baby's heartbeat accelerates and decelerates the way it's supposed to.

The two major complications from GD are macrosomia (a big baby) and hypoglycemia after birth. The good news is that with good blood sugar control, neither of those things have to happen. I am a pretty severe diabetic, but because I take good care of myself, my son is perfectly average in size and not expected to have hypoglycemia. So if you take good care of yourself too, your GD will probably be a non-issue at delivery.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

March 25th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Ang1885's Avatar Veteran
Thank you!! I'm going to call my doctor and ask exactly how high my score was because I was one point from having diabetes before I was pregnant. I know she might think I'm crazy lol but I really want to know the numbers. I'm seeing someone about diet next week and what's going to happen.

March 25th, 2010, 08:43 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
i have become a diabetes expert at this point, living with it 24/7 for over a year, so if you ever have any questions or just need to vent, let me know.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search