Not seeing dietician until next week, worried..

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Super Mommy
This is my second baby, and my numbers were borderline with my first so i probably should have been a little more worried about getting GD this time around but i wasnt. I'll be the first to admit my diet has been awful...even right after my test though i got extremely sick from it and felt something was just 'not right', instead of listening to my intuition on the matter i came home and immediately gourged myself in whole milk, chocolate and more chocolate...and even an icee with my daughter which is basically pure sugar.

Found out that my levels were 204..and that was after hardly eating anything all day cause i didnt know if i was supposed to fast or not for my 1 hour...so i can only imagine what all that crap did to me that i ate/drank when i got home.

I dont start seeing a dietician until next week, and i want a fix for it now, at least a temporary one...im extremely freaked out to say the least, though im trying not to be.

Im a huge milk fan, and a huge pasta fan, both of which i know im going to be told to cut back on...for those who either have GD or are diabetic, i know its different for everyone but what should i be looking for as to whats 'safe'...fruit and veggies make me sick if i consume too much with nothing else in my diet, so there has got to be a better way to eat healthy than just avoiding everything i love
March 27th, 2010, 10:09 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I'm your host Rebecca, and I'm a Type 1 diabetic, diagnosed last February. It was really overwhelming at first, I thought I was going to be miserable forever, but I actually got the hang of it quickly. Honestly this pregnancy (I'm 32 weeks) I'm only ever hungry if the baby is having a growth spurt. Half the time I feel like it's too much food! I am a person who loooooooooooves sweets (did I say love? I meant LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE) and I'm still able to eat sweet things, I just have to be smart about when and how much. I am also CRAZY for milk and drink at least a half gallon a day- there's a low sugar milk available and it's a little pricey but totally worth it.

I still eat the things I love, I just have to be smart about when and how much. I'm going to post some links that explain the GD diet, and also a shopping list for GD safe foods. Remember, when you are hungry, you can eat as much protein as you want, so stock up on cheese and lunchmeat. Don't worry about the lunchmeat either, all of my high risk OBs think the "lunchmeat=dangerous" thing is pretty stupid, especially when you are diabetic.

Quote:
-Cheese cheese and more cheese
-lunchmeat
-broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber are lowcarb and good with ranch
-carrots
-100 calorie packs (most are 15 grams which is good at snack time)
-whole wheat bread (15 grams or less per slice)
(pepperidge farm makes "carb style" which is my fave)
-natural peanut butter (it's usually low sugar)
-sugar free jelly (smuckers makes a few)
-diet cranberry juice (they make a few flavors)
-splenda (I use it for everything)
-cottage cheese
-dannon light 'n fit yogurt
-diet iced tea (snapple and lipton are my fave)
-diet soda (i always have at least 3 kinds in the house)
-crystal light
-sugar free jello - you can have it any time you want it
-low sugar fruit - apples, peaches, berries, nectarines, clementines
-low carb milk (calorie countdown by hood)
-hershey's kisses (because we all need at least a little chocolate)
-shortbread cookies (in case you just have to have a cookie)
-sugar free popsicles
Don't let anybody tell you that artificial sweeteners are bad for baby (except saccharin, which tastes nasty anyway). Diabetic pregnant women have been having artificial sweeteners for about for decades now and all of our kids have turned out fine. Sugar is what's bad for baby!

And here are those websites:

Sample Diet for Gestational Diabetes - LoveToKnow Diet
Gestational Diabetes Diet
Gestational Diabetes: Causes, Diagnosis & Treatment | BabyCenter
Diabetic Diet Sample Plan, Meal, Menus and Recipes
Gestational Diabetes Meal Planning

Here is a website that will tell the carb count of every food known to man, including restaurants: www.calorieking.com

Need some junk food? Here are my two top fast food meal recommendations:

A double cheeseburger Happy Meal with diet coke at McDonalds
4 crunchy tacos at Taco Bell

And remember, GD is temporary. You can start having all of your favorite foods again as soon as the baby (well actually the placenta) is out. Even though I'll be diabetic forever, my DH is under strict orders to bring me a chocolate milkshake when I'm in postpartum recovery!

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions or are just freaking out and need some supprt, I'll even give you my contact info on FB so you can message me

You can do it, I promise!!!

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

March 29th, 2010, 12:04 PM
BluvnU4evr's Avatar Erica
Rebecca has given some great links.

One thing my dietician went over was the amount of carbs to have at each meal and snack. For example, this is what I follow:
breakfast - 15gr of carbs, AM snack - 15gr, lunch - 45gr, PM snack - 30grs, dinner - 45gr, bedtime snack - 30gr.

You'll want to cut out most of the sugar you're eating. Rule of thumbs is if it's white based (flour, rice, starch, sugar) it'll pretty much spike your BG. You'll just want to get most of your carbs from whole grains and veggies/fruits. Pasta and rice just have so many carbs per serving that you'll have to watch your portions. You can have milk, but switch to skim or even light soy milk (ack!). Start paying attention to the nutrition labels on the food you eat.

March 29th, 2010, 02:13 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I recommend this milk: Hood® | Calorie Countdown

It's more expensive than regular milk but since I've been addicted to dairy this pregnancy it's totally worth it - I have TONS of dairy now!

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

April 19th, 2010, 09:26 PM
hlaverdiere's Avatar Member
Send a message via Skype™ to hlaverdiere
I am so MAD . Was just diagnosed, and I quote "you appear to be developing gestational diabetes." I'm mad as I don't have TIME for this!!! Just finishing my huge master's project, no extra time to work in any more exercise (I average 2-3 x/week of 2 miles on treadmill plus at least 1-2 kettlebell exercise sessions). I crave milk and clementines. Have an occasional mocha, maybe 2x/week. Once a week have a bagel sandwich at Brueggers. These last two I can live w/o as well as the clementines, but the milk? Won't drink skim, have tried several times, no way. No time for snacks, I teach. I'm 26 weeks, 3rd pregnancy (have a 15 and 12 year old, total surprise here) and school's not out yet. Don't see nutritionist til next week, but will see if I can get out of testing this week to go sooner. And how bad is this finger prick thing, as I'm still getting over the 4 blood draws for that 4 hour long glucose test (why do they call it a 3 hour when you are there for 4?)? Sorry for ranting, I'm just so irritated by this, my fibroid, charlie horses, and to go along with the diagnosis today, the wonderful psiatic nerve.

Last edited by hlaverdiere; April 19th, 2010 at 10:27 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search