GD that requires insulin

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 30th, 2010, 03:22 PM
3littleladies's Avatar Veteran
Hello ladies,

I am 28 years old.... pregnant with my 3rd daughter and due for my c-section May 10th. I was diagnosed with borderline GD around 28 weeks and was doing a great job handling my sugars by modifying my diet for about the first 3 weeks then things started to get a little out of control. I was put on 2.5 mg of Glyburide once a day to help with my high sugars, and that worked for about a week and then things got out of control again. I am now on insulin injections 3x a day and having a hard time coping with this. I just started today and the first injection went well..... no pain.... but the one I just did caught a capillary and hurt like heck and bled. I am just beside myself with worry about the baby and my anxiety about having to poke myself so much. On top of it all it didn't even work. My sugars have still been high all day and I feel like crap. Anyone that can offer any advice or make me feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Megan Claire Born 5-10-10
March 30th, 2010, 04:48 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
Hi. I'm your host Rebecca, and I'm a Type 1 diabetic. I was diagnosed during my first pregnancy and immediately put on insulin. I was just as overwhelmed as you are, but I got the hang of it, and it quickly became second nature. I'm due with my second son about the same time as you are, and have been taking insulin for over a year now.

First things first - you will quickly learn which spots to avoid when injecting. It's a little different for everybody, but you'll start remembering the problem areas after a few days. Almost all of my insulin needs are now handled by an insulin pump (I got one when I was 8 weeks pregnant) but for a breakfast I need a really high dose of insulin, so I do that by injection. Being 8 months pregnant my belly is huge, so I have a lot of options of where to poke myself, but I always remember the areas that give me trouble and avoid them. I almost never bruise at this point.

The anxiety will also go away. It is totally natural to be freaked out about injecting, but over the next few days it will gradually fade away. You'll become comfortable with it very quickly, everyone does.

Don't worry about it not working immediately - it takes a few days before your body figures out what is going on. The effect is cumulative too - your body will soon learn that there is a new sheriff in town and will start listening to the insulin. Also, stress and anxiety make your sugars elevate, and given how stressed you are today, it's not surprising that your numbers are a little out of whack. Over the next few days you'll relax and your blood sugars will come under control. I PROMISE!!!! Eventually, it will get harder and harder for stress to even affect you sugars, so don't stress about being stressed.

Sometimes you will still have high blood sugars. They happen even to the best of us. But occasional high blood sugars have absolutely zero effect on the baby. It will freak you out, but your little one won't even notice it. Friday night I had my worst high in months (231!!!), and I completely FLIPPED OUT. My husband on the other hand just said "GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF the baby is fine!!" I took some extra insulin (I can do that on my own but you can call your doctor to get permission for that) and by 2 hours later everything was fine.

Your baby is fine. It's not a bad sign for the baby that you need insulin. Your need for insulin is actually because the placenta is growing nice and big and strong actually (it's releasing hormones that screw with your blood sugar). The two things that GD can do to the baby are 1) make her big and 2) cause temporary hypoglycemia when she is born. Since you are having a c-section, her being big is really not an issue, and hypoglycemia in newborns only lasts for a day or two and has a really simple fix - sugar water. And by getting on top of your sugars now, neither of those things is necessarily going to happen.

If it makes you feel any better, I can tell you about myself. I am a SEVERE type 1 diabetic. Your pancreas makes insulin but your body is being stupid and not listening. My pancreas makes absolutely ZERO insulin and hasn't for some time. I use an insulin pump and take a lot of insulin. And you know what? My son is doing fine. Not just fine - he's doing GREAT! His weight is normal, he's very active, and a super healthy baby.

Trust me when I say that if I can be crazy diabetic and still have a healthy baby - you can totally do it!!

Please PM me any time you need to talk, I can even give you my Facebook because I'm home a lot (I'm high risk for a bunch of reasons) and I'm often available for sudden freakouts

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

March 30th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Thank you so much for the helpful words! I really appreciate it. I have been extremely stressed about this whole situation for a couple weeks. My sugars have gotten the best of me. I follow the diet, but it just seems like it is not enough. I have actually been losing weight because my sugars come close to 200 every morning if I eat my carb amounts. I am very gun-shy about breakfast. It is not fun. Other than that I never have a reading under 145 for the other times that I test (5x). I feel like a pin cushion between my finger and now the insulin. Everyone tells me this is short-lived but honestly it does not make it any easier. I feel like my whole world has just been in a huge upheaval. I have a 1 year old and a 7 year old as well and it has been such a challenge to take care of them because of feeling crappy all of the time from my sugars and just being pregnant in general. I am so grateful to have this child and I want nothing more than for her to be healthy. I just don't know how much more I can take this pregnancy. Thanks for listening and responding!
April 13th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I had GD twice and was on insulin with both of my children..

With my daughter, I didn't find out I had GD until 28 weeks.. I had a hard time keeping my sugars within range, they were always high.. My daughter was born at 39 weeks and 3 days weighing 6 lbs 14 oz's and unaffected by me having GD. Even to this day she's a petite little girl.. Just had her 2 1/2 year check up and she's a whooping 26 lbs and 35 inches tall.. She's a shortie..

Try not to stress and just do the best you can.. Your doctor is monitoring you closely.. There is light at the end of the tunnel.. Stay positive..

Edit:

Are you giving the injections the right way? The key is make sure the bevel (opening of the needle) is facing up.. And inject at a 45 degree angle..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; April 13th, 2010 at 02:56 PM.
April 19th, 2010, 08:17 AM
austlanabmv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my first stick this time around was painful. i started insulin 8 weeks ago or so

.... i started to get scared with my second son giving myself inslulin shots and quit for a week or two towards the end and his body worked so hard to fight off what i wasnt when he was born his sugar went really low.... i will never screw up like that again.... infact i was so psycho with the next pregnacy i had only gained 5 pounds..... but she was a little peanut on her own ... (she's 7 and weighs 35 lbs)

this pregancy i have gained 9lbs and i'm 22 weeks ...... my sugars are all over the place but have added a new dose of insulin at night the N- long acting so they have brought my morning sugars down :-)

the light at the end of your tunnel is a beautiful baby ...
and unfortunatly the crappiness is from your sugar being so high.... i have had a high one today 199 and i feel like going to sleep.

hang in there...... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
April 19th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks for all of the encouragement. It is a very hard thing to go through and it hasn't gotten any easier, I am just religiously checking my blood sugars and staying on top of giving myself insulin. I have figured out the "spots" to avoid, so that has helped with the pain of injecting. I only have 3 weeks left until D-day so it helps to have something to look forward to. I will make it through.......

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search