Testing for GD

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2010, 10:20 PM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
Ok so I know that it is customary for doctors/midwives to test for GD at about 7 months. Well the first midwife office I went to measures you at your first appt, I think it has something to do with the fact that they don't see you after 6 months so maybe they want to check beforehand. Well I did my 1hr fasting bt and of course my number was suppose to be 130 or below to be considered fine and mine was 146. So that meant I needed to do the lovely 3hr test. I had been putting it off because of my m/s I couldn't go all night and the next morning without eating. Finally I went to my new midwife's office and they asked if I felt up to doing the 3 hr test. I thought that I had been good enough to go without eating and complete the test. I didn't know you weren't allowed to throw up or you would have to come back. So I guess my question is will it be safe for me to still wait a few weeks to try again? Since trying to do the test my m/s has been really bad again. Anyone with experience on this? Thanks!

April 8th, 2010, 07:23 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I think the safest thing for you to do would be to start following the diet now, before the test. In fact, I have a few friends who skipped the test altogether and just followed the GD diet the rest of their pregnancies. The diet is honestly better for you than just eating what you want. I'm a Type 1 diabetic. I had very very severe m/s (called hyperemesis) my first pregnancy, right up until being diagnosed as diabetic and changing my diet. I felt better pretty much immediately. This time around, I got m/s but not nearly as bad, all because I was eating better.

So you could do the GD diet for a few weeks to be on the safe side, then take the test and go back to eating regular if you pass the test.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search