Updating...plus a bit worried

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Super Mommy
Its been a while since i made my first post here. since then i have seen the dietician and they made me feel alot better about eating what i want. i went in almost starving, my level was 70, and they were like "yeah..thats pretty low..you need to eat something as soon as possible" so i was honest with them that up until that point i had been terrified of sending my levels too high, had no idea what i was doing before them, and no way to test.

Now i have my own meter .. much more comforting. So i had my levels figured out. I was able to eat whatever i wanted, just had to really watch my intake of it. Switched to 1% milk which i found out doesnt taste so bad after all..however cant stomach pure skim at all..makes me gag...so 1% is as low as i can go. Found out Hershey's candy bars dont spike my levels too bad, however i usually cant drink milk with it like i want, have to have something like crystal light so its not a bunch of sugar at once.

However, for 3 weeks now i've been having increasingly bad contraction like pains. One night it was so bad i was standing in line to get my daughter her easter gift, i was hit with a wild dizzy spell from the pain, couldnt breathe, and felt like i was going to pass out. My levels were fine, wasnt low or high sugar.

Now the other day...say...3 days ago i think at most? i had two contractions 2 minutes apart (so weird to say that, but i timed them lol) that were BAD. like, "i might be going in to labor" bad. I had to use my deep breathing and suddenly remembered why i called everyone ignorant who was telling me to breathe when i was in labor with my first...it makes them hurt more, even if it also helps you focus through them...after the first one i felt the pain ebb away, but not fade entirely, and then sure enough 2 minutes later my next one hit, worse than the first, i was crying...i got up to move and they went away thankfully, but the 'ache' was still there for 15 minutes.

However, im not changing according to my doctor. Im not effacing, im not dialating...hell, he says im even still really 'high'.

Then, yesterday my levels were soo low all day. the new diet i had developed and gotten used to...my morning levels were 80, after levels were 96, before lunch was mid 80's, and after was 99...And because my levels had been on the lower end all morning i had pizza for lunch...processed cheese and starchy white dough anyone? Still only 99 at my two hour...

Then things took a bad turn. i've been having increasingly frequent 'panic attack' like symptoms. Yesterday i tested my sugar twice after lunch because i couldnt breathe. My heart was racing, i was sweating, and i felt like i may very well pass out...we're not talking normal shortness of breathe. I was about to start freaking out because no matter how much air i got in, it wasnt enough...i called the nurse and she said that the low sugars and my dizzy spells were related. She said i couldnt possibly be experiencing a panic attack, but she wouldnt give me a reason for the super fast heart rate (mine is usually in the 80's-90's..yesterday it was 145 during this 'attack') and the fact i felt like i was going to both puke and pass out. shes like "well the passing out could be related to the low sugar"

I just feel that no one is listening to me something isnt right. She moved my appointment up because my sudden low sugars when i was having bad highs is 'new'...but wouldnt touch on the subject of decreased fetal movement, painful contractions even if they didnt stay consistent, and panic attack like symptoms. i almost want to say it was an actual panic attack, since when i was experiencing it, thats all i could think of it being..and i'd want to cry, but the second i even let myself a little it made it worse, so i knew i couldnt.

Plus, if im having an issue with oxygen doesnt that mean that my baby is too!? WHY IS NOBODY FREAKING LISTENING TO ME?
April 21st, 2010, 10:28 AM
BluvnU4evr's Avatar Erica
I'm so sorry things have kind of turned bad for you. IDK what these events you're having have to do with your BGLs if they're fine.... could it be really bad BH contractions? Also, do you know at what point they'll want to monitor you with twice a week NSTs? Do you have a blood pressure machine at home? I guess those are things you can ask about at your next appt. I'm in that office now twice a week and sometimes three times a week so I ask questions a lot! There have been a few days where my numbers seem really low for what I'm eating, but the whole point of me being on Glyburide was to control my BGLs AND to get me to eat more because I was losing a lot of weight. I'm still under the weight I began this pregnancy, but I'm now maintaining. I still have to eat lesser carbs for breakfast, but I can eat up to 60gr in carbs for dinner and still have ok BGLs. Granted it all can't come from spoonfuls of sugar, but I am getting the minimum amount of carbs they want me to eat and still having good BGLs. I hope you find some good answers at your next appt. Keep us posted!

April 21st, 2010, 04:37 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I'm not a doctor, but unless you were regularly in the 400s at diagnosis, there is no way that your lows (which aren't even technically lows) are causing your symptoms. I suffer from panic attacks, and honestly it sounds like a panic attack.

Panic attacks suck, but the good news is that you are not actually oxygen deprived, it just feels like it. So baby is not oxygen deprived. And having a pulse rate of 145 during a panic attack is pretty standard, so there's no damage there. You're sadly miserable, but not in any physical danger. If I were you I would try speaking directly to the doctor about the problem. Most of my nurses are awesome but a few of them are idiots and I try to bypass them as much as possible.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

April 21st, 2010, 06:51 PM
Super Mommy
So, the doctor believed me about the panic attack, and said thats exactly what it sounded like i was having. i tried to stress to her that my concern wasnt the attacks themselves, but that i had them when i was very much relaxed even, or under VERY little stress...she just kept saying my only options were medication or no medication...

So i got to cry all the way home because i felt like an idiot for even bringing it up. alot of good THAT did me.

The only reason that 80-90 is low to ME is because when i was eating normally, my levels were far surpassing 200....and my numbers have always been fasting level early in the morning, but consistently above 115 the rest of the day no matter what...so i knew they were 'low' but they were abnormal to me....plus the pizza i ate was a delivered pizza...by no means was it healthy at all, and even after that my levels were just 99? i ate half the pizza to myself, so that just wasnt 'right'..

she said my numbers look good otherwise. NOBODY has talked to me about stress tests, or biophysical profiles or anything..none of my doctors mention it even with the GD. I want to cry so bad. I'd ask them about it but now i almost just want to have the baby at home and tell the doctors to go screw themselves and just plan a home birth by myself and gorge out on chocolate and fast food until my hearts content...but of course i wont do that no matter how tempting it seems.
April 21st, 2010, 07:12 PM
First of all, I have an anxiety disorder and panic attacks are miserable. I hate them. And the worst part is that for me (and it sounds like you too) they are not triggered by stress or any situation - they just happen out of the blue!

I used to be a therapist, and what you and I are experiencing is quite normal. If I had to guess, I'd say that it's hormones triggering them.

Medication isn't a bad option if you are comfortable with it. I take medication, all baby safe, and I'm glad I do. I didn't take the medication I needed last pregnancy and had a much tougher time.

However, if you don't want meds, you could try therapy. The stress of having to manage GD may be causing these out of the blue panic attacks, and therapy may be able to help you cope with the stress enough that it doesn't cause these attacks. You can go to NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness - Mental Health Support, Education and Advocacy to find support.

Not everyone with GD has fetal monitoring. I have NSTs, but I've never had a BPP, nobody has even mentioned it, and I'm a Type 1 diabetic with a previous stillbirth. Having good numbers really does do the job in avoiding fetal distress. However, if YOU want fetal monitoring, call them tomorrow and ask for it. I ask for stuff a lot, just for reassurance, and my doctors always oblige, even when they don't think I really need it.

As far as the 80's being low, it definitely can feel that way. I was regularly in the 200s and 300s when I was diagnosed, so when I finally hit the right numbers it was really weird. But it's where your body is supposed to be, and it will feel normal soon. And even I get surprises - I'll cheat and have ice cream and my sugar is absolutely normal! I guess our bodies just get things right sometimes.

April 22nd, 2010, 12:22 PM
Super Mommy
Thank you for the hugs, that meant more than any other advice i've been offered, sadly. They were pushing for me to take zoloft, and i absolutely refused. First of all, zoloft is something i've tried in the past for other issues...and it doesnt work for me. Thats my big reason for turning it down...

So really, i am quite stuck, lol. I just hope this baby knows whats good for her and as soon as she is strong and healthy enough (lungs included) she tries to make her way into this world. The longer shes in there the more worried for her i'll be.
April 22nd, 2010, 01:52 PM
Zoloft is considered the most pregnancy safe psychiatric medication, but it's not the only option. I myself take Lexapro, and it has been a godsend. Everyone thought I'd be super anxious and a mess this pregnancy, considering how nuts I was last time and the fact that my son was stillborn. But thanks to the Lexapro, I'm pretty stable. Of the class of drugs called SSRIs (of which Lexapro and Zoloft are a part) only Paxil is unsafe in pregnancy.

I also take Valium. You have to be careful with it in the first trimester, but it is pregnancy safe in normal doses (high doses like movie stars take are another story). When I am having a panic attack I can take one or two to stabilize. And because of the Lexapro, I don't even have many panic attacks these days.

And I do really recommend therapy. It is 100% pregnancy safe and can really help you deal with the background stress so that you don't become super-anxious and have a panic attack.

You can do this, I promise. If I can do it, you can do it. Please feel free to contact me anytime or PM me for my facebook info, I know for me that sometimes talking to someone else who understands really calms me down.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search