Just diagnosed with GD at 14wks preggers!!!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Veteran
Yikes!
I guess I should think that I'm lucky that my doctors found this out so soon. However, I am freaking out a bit. My dad is type 1 so diabetes is not completely foreign to me. To make matters worse I was diagnosed at 8 wks with hypothyroidism! So now I have two things to manage. I could use any words of encouragement. I am terrified that I will be forced to have a c-section. Is this a given or do I still have a chance of natural delivery? At all my u/s the baby has been right on track not ahead at all yet so I'm hoping I won't HAVE to have a c-section.
I am going to the nutritionist tomorrow afternoon. I hope I'll get my meter and diet plan. I already cut out all refined sugars and I'm counting my carbs using the ADA's guidelines.
I'm so glad justmommies has a group like this! I am an active member of the October Due Date Club for this year as that's when I'm due but I need some friends that are going through this too!
Again, any advice would be great!
April 21st, 2010, 10:17 AM
BluvnU4evr's Avatar Erica
You don't HAVE to have a c-section. At 32weeks I began getting Non-Stress Tests twice a week and AFIs once a week. I'm also going to regular OB appts every two weeks. So you'll be monitored often jus tto stay on top of baby's growth. My OB went over my previous pregnancy history and gave me a ball park % figure on my tyoe of delivery success rate. Almost every appt we take new symptoms, or one's I failed to mention at other appts and he reassures me it's ultimately my decision on the route I want to go, but he also gives me the downside. Right now I'm scheduled to have a c-sec at 39weeks, but if I go into natural labor before then and my body response well, he's all for me having a VBAC. It's just that given my history and the % we're looking at that doesn't sound too good.

So, you have plenty of time to talk to your OB on which route to go and he has some time to maybe influence your decision in a good, positive way. I was diagnosed with GD around 24weeks and baby looks about average, not too big or too small. My BGLs improved 84% in two weeks and that was two weeks ago, so I'm doing well controlling my BGLs on Glyburide and have no needed insulin.

You'll do great. You'll get frustrated at times when the numbers don't go your way, but hang in there. It took about 4weeks for things to have a good effect on my numbers. And of course we're all here to support and help you out.

April 21st, 2010, 04:41 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
Hi, I'm your host Rebecca, I am a Type 1 diabetic and was diagnosed during my first pregnancy. You don't have to worry about a c-section as long as you maintain good blood sugar control. C-sections are recommended in some diabetics primarily because those diabetics have had poor blood sugar control and their babies have developed macrosomia (latin for "big *** baby"). Big babies can have complicated vaginal deliveries. However, if baby is the right size, and there are no signs of fetal distress, you can have a vaginal delivery. That's what I'm having - some time in the next 3 weeks actually!

I have kind of assigned myself the job of "JM diabetes coach" so you can contact me via PM and hook up with my on facebook with questions. It's overwhelming at first but you'll get the hang of it really quickly

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

April 22nd, 2010, 02:10 PM
austlanabmv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have had GD with all 4 pregancies ....had my 1st baby a week early c-section cause they thought he would be over 9 1/2 lbs he was 8lb 10oz.....

second baby was 4 weeks early because my blood pressure decieded to go up one day... and that was it.... he was a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesearian (sp))

3rd was a secection unrelated to diabetes....

4th ... i am due in august.... my diabetes seems all out of wack...

the dr's are fabulous with keeping your sugar under control during labor ..... i would imagine if you wanted a super natural... birthing ball, water relaxation ,free movement type of birth that might be a little hard because they will have u on an iv to control your sugars because you will need insulin and then the iv to give you sugars to even out your insulin..... but other than that you should be great.....
April 27th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Veteran
Thanks so much! I have had my meter since last wednesday and I test 4 times a day now. My morning levels are btwn 97-103 and i have only gone over 120 4 times: 121, 129, 151 (had to test 20 mins early with NO am activity) and 167 (tried chinese food, didn't get it right this time lol). My primary , who i saw today said that i am doing great with my numbers. I go back to the diabetes center next weds.
I guess my big concern right now is that I am going to Disney World May 25th and I am going to have a slightly harder time with managing my intake since I won't know exactly how many carbs are in everything. However, I am hoping that all the walking I will be doing will help balance everything. Does anyone know how much exercise like walking helps your levels?
Just curious.
Thanks for the words of encouragement
April 27th, 2010, 12:41 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I recommend that you run to your local bookstore and pick up the following book to help you count carbs while you are away: Amazon.com: The CalorieKing Calorie, Fat & Carbohydrate Counter 2010 (9781930448278): Allan Borushek: Books

It's a small book, I keep it in my purse.

And GOOD JOB on those numbers!!!!

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

May 10th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Veteran
UGH! I am so frustrated today. I went back to the Diabetes educator on Wednesday of last week and they said my numbers were very good. The problem is that I went to my OB and they want my fasting numbers BELOW 95 and they want me to cut out my after dinner snack. Im worried cuz then my ketones will be too high! I am so frustrated with this. I work so hard at staying under 120 and find that I do about 90% of the time. The Ob said that my high risk (whom I am seeing next week) might want to put me on meds. I just dont understand why my Ob is saying lower numbers than my diabetes educator, who the OB referred me to!
May 16th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I had GD with both of my pregnancies and had both kids vaginally (with meds, I had to be induced)

I agree with your OB doctor about the fasting numbers.. My required fasting numbers were below 90 anything above 90 was not good (but 90-95 varies from providers).. That's from both Endo and OB doctor.. How are your Ketones now? I had vary high ketones when I was first diagnosed with my GD with my first pregnancy.. The only thing that brought the Ketones to normal as insulin..

Don't be worried about going on meds.. Trust me, it will make your life soooo much better.. I was on insulin for my FBS with both of my pregnancies and my kids turned out just fine..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; May 16th, 2010 at 12:18 AM.
June 8th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Veteran
I feel sooo much better. My high risk said my numbers are great! He said below 100 is all I need to be. Plus, I found that if I have a bowl of cereal before bed they are often in the upper 80's or low 90's! My ketones are great most days they are negative or trace!
My high risk said I'm doing great and have nothing to worry about as long as I keep doing what I'm doing. He also said that if my numbers weren't under control the baby would be gaining weight from it yet, that usually doesn't start to happen until week 24!
I'm just glad that I seem to have figured this all out.
You gals are great for all the encouragement and help
July 1st, 2010, 08:37 PM
I'm also 14 weeks and I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes a few months before I found out I was pregnant. I just saw the dietician today and I had a real eye opener. It's going to be hard to eat breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and late night snack and only eat according to the carbs allowed, but I'm going to try my best. It's a lot to take in all at once. I kind of wish that when I was first diagnosed with diabetes that my actual primary care doctor told me I needed classes. It's a little frustrating! Anyway, I'm hoping I can keep my numbers low so that I don't have to take insulin injections. That's the last thing I want to happen. I surely don't want my baby to suffer for me not taking care of myself. Congratulations on your pregnancy and I wish you luck.
July 3rd, 2010, 07:58 AM
Renwick2002's Avatar Veteran
I'm trying so hard to get my fasting below 90 but it's only happened once. I usually sit between 92-97. My doctor raised an eyebrow and my dietitian said it was great. I wish everyone could get on one page! I don't have problems with my meals but I'm worried about the fasting.

You have found a little cereal and milk to work? Last night I tried some peanut butter with apple and a small glass of milk. It was 95 this morning.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search