Just Diagnosed, What do #s indicate?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2010, 05:03 PM
hlaverdiere's Avatar Member
Send a message via Skype™ to hlaverdiere
I've just been diagnosed and see nutritionist tomorrow. Hoping to go in with some decent background knowledge so I ask all the right questions. My fasting # was 98, 1 hr = 222, 2 hr = 200, 3 hr = 146. I was told I'm borderline/developing gestational. On this board, I've seen much lower figures than that. Am I really borderline, or is this indicative of eventually needing insulin. I'm not sure which i'm more scared of, the 4x/day finger stick or insulin shots. Putting a shot in my belly really freaks me out.

I'm feeling really emotional right now and cry at the drop of a hat. I just feel like I won't be able to do this and quite honestly, it's the first time I've ever felt this way about anything so just this feeling alone is disconcerting. Any advice appreciated.
April 20th, 2010, 07:24 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
Hi, I'm your host Rebecca, I am a type 1 diabetic on an insulin pump. Your fasting # is actually not that far out of range, however the rest of your numbers are pretty high. Unfortunately I'm not a doctor and can't really say whether or not you will need insulin.

I know you are scared and overwhelmed right now, in fact I was scared too. I was 17 weeks pregnant when I was diagnosed, and I was almost immediately put on insulin (I have a severe case). But I figured out how to manage it all amazingly quickly. Actually, everyone I have met here has managed to figure it out pretty quickly. I have to stick myself about a zillion times a day (again, it won't be like that for you, I have a different kind of diabetes) and it doesn't hurt. And I did insulin injections for about 9 months (I have a pump now so just 1 stick a day) and you get the hang of that too.

I have kind of assigned myself the position of diabetes coach, so if you want to PM me I will give you my email or Facebook info so we can chat and I can help you through the process. And check out some of the other threads, there's a lot of good advice there.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

April 20th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Thanks Rebecca. I'd like to PM but cannot figure out, perhaps due to my stressed out self, how to do it tonight? Help?

From looking through the boards (I've gone through at least 17 pages in this forum), my #s seem high to be called borderline, which has me more worried. I'm the type of person that wants info straight up and at the moment, I feel like the doc's office is pacifying me. What it does in actuality is stress me out!

Last edited by hlaverdiere; April 20th, 2010 at 08:04 PM.
April 21st, 2010, 08:54 AM
Alos, you should note that stress itself can raise your numbers, so that may be affecting them. But again, your fasting number is pretty good, and that's the hardest number to get normal, so you can take comfort in that.

Last edited by rebeccabaltimore and more; April 22nd, 2010 at 08:34 AM.
April 22nd, 2010, 07:26 AM
Thanks Rebecca, I will look you up. I felt better yesterday after meeting with the nurse. I was terrified of the finger stick and it was SO funny because here I stuck myself 3x because no blood (then I had 3 little holes once I squeezed my finger). We both laughed, as she had bled right away. Me, I've found I have to squeeze each time. Maybe it's my technique, but anyway, at least it doesn't hurt. I felt a little on my ring finger, so I think I'll avoid that one since they get skinnier as you move down, lol.

They had a sub nutritionist and as I told the nurse, I found more useful information HERE than from her. She actually agreed with me. I had shown her a sample breakdown of carbs per meal/snack, and the only one she thought may be too low for me was the 15g breakfast. She told me to start with 30 and she would be checking this with nutrionist when she returns. We started with my hour after breakfast read; it was 91 (hers was 87, lol). She said that was super. Lunch, however, shot to 157 (I think it's the bread and I didn't have time for my usual salad as I was running to my ultrasound appt). Just to be sure, I had blackberries this morning (as I did with the sandwich yesterday) to see if that spikes me. My dinner read was 87, and, this morning my fast was 87 so my snack of milk and peanut butter crackers must have been ok.

Still, just so worn out emotionally I took today off as I was just wiped out.

Mom to Kayla ('94) and Jakob ('97)
Wife to Scott
April 22nd, 2010, 08:34 AM
Wow, your numbers look awesome, even the 157 isn;t that far out of range. It is exhausting the first few days, because you have to actually think about everything you eat and do a lot of meal planning, but it becomes automatic after a little while. The secret is to do the research before you go grocery shopping and bring home a lot of snack and meal options, so you can just pick a snack when you are hungry.

April 24th, 2010, 01:24 PM
WoodysWife2005's Avatar Veteran
Hey there, was reading your needle remarks and thought I would share something w/you. I am an EXTREME needle maniac. Last year I flunked my first glucose test by 1 point and they wanted me to take the 3 hour 4 needle one and I refused. I have PCOS symptoms so they wanted to watch me close but w/the needle thing no way. There was a nurse at my endo's office that told me that if I would test myself than basically I could monitor things myself and 4x sticking (in the first couple of weeks) seemed ridiculously insane to me. The nurse showed me a Freestyle lite meter that you can use to test on the top of my forearm. She told me it did not hurt and I did not believe her, but she did it to herself and then I felt like I had to do it to myself once she did and she was right- it did not hurt!- at all! I highly suggest finding this meter if you can. I totally hate finger sticks too- those freaking things hurt me for weeks.

Something I kept telling people, but was told "no, that's not true", was you need to test in the SAME spot EACH time or you will get #'s that are a few or 10-20 off. I found this out and would wig out and then immediately w/in seconds test myself in my original spot and it would be much lower! Don't let anyone tell you that you can test in different spots and get the same #'s as it is not true. I found this out by reading the insert on the manufacturers directions on the Freestyle lite kit.

I just bought my Mom one of the kids on ebay as I tested her w/my kit and her #'s were thru the roof. I wound up buying her a Freestyle Freedom Lite kit by accident but they use the same testers and such, but the meter is bigger digitally, which by default is kind of better so she doesn't have to wear her glasses to see the thing.

Anyway, in short- just wanted to let you know that you do have other options than your finger and I'm not sure anyone told you. Good luck to you.
April 25th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Testing in the same spot is a bad idea, because it can lead to tissue damage and degeneration. Blood glucose meters have a margin of error of plus or minus 10 points no matter if you test on the same spot or different. Your experience is anecdotal and does not represent observed scientific fact. Arm testing is indeed less painful, I myself chose not to use it though because it is much less accurate.

April 27th, 2010, 08:28 AM
BluvnU4evr's Avatar Erica
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccabaltimore View Post
Testing in the same spot is a bad idea, because it can lead to tissue damage and degeneration. Blood glucose meters have a margin of error of plus or minus 10 points no matter if you test on the same spot or different. Your experience is anecdotal and does not represent observed scientific fact. Arm testing is indeed less painful, I myself chose not to use it though because it is much less accurate.
Great! That's another thing I've been doing wrong. Wah wah waaaaaaah!

April 27th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Veteran
Don't worry about your glucose test numbers. The solution they have you drink is sooo saturated with glucose it is unlikely (especially since you now know you have GD) that you will consume anything with that much sugar/carbs in it.
Keep testing. I was diagnosed last week and yes it is overwhelming at first. BUt you CAN do it! Don't freak if you go a bit over 120 for one meal. Just try to cut back on the carbs next time you have that type of dinner again. You seem to be doing fine. If you can keep it under control you most likely won't need insulin. My nutritionist said that most women can control it with diet while some need exercise (walking) and only a very few need meds and even less insulin.
I'm finding that eating 6 times a day is getting annoying LOL I feel like I no sooner get the the 2 hr after eating time to test and I've got to eat again! Oh well, baby will like the food!
We are here to help you and encourage you. Keep up the great work!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search