Chances of GD again?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 18th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I just found out I am pregnant again, DD is 9 months old. I had GD and required insulin while I was pregnant with her. From what I've been reading the chances of it reoccurring it really high for a pregnancy within one year. Does anyone have any experience with subsequent pregnancies? I think I am going to start counting carbs sooner rather than later just in case.

May 18th, 2010, 07:16 PM
grlpisces's Avatar Dynamite w/ a laser beam
My first pregnancy (twins) resulted in GD. 8 months later, I got pregnant again (singleton) and had GD again. Both times were insulin-dependent.

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggie!

I'm Barb, Mom to Angel on Earth Julia Rose (7*22*08), her twin brother Angel in Heaven Noah (7*22*08), and rainbow baby Sydney Noelle (12*4*09).

*a special 'thank you' to all the blinkie creators for their talents*
May 18th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Regular
I had my first DD almost 11 years ago and I am now 26 weeks with my 2nd and sure enough, I have GD again.
May 19th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Veteran
I have had GD with all four of my pregnancies...although i have been able to control it with diet and glyburide

[img]

10/2009 11 weeks
Chemical 5/2012
May 19th, 2010, 04:18 PM
hlaverdiere's Avatar Member
Send a message via Skype™ to hlaverdiere
Anyone else have to go through a gazillion tests? I occasionally spike from certain foods. Having me do A1C (did that today) blood test, 24 hr urine (yay, guess i'm not going anywhere on Sunday), EKG and eye exam.

Mom to Kayla ('94) and Jakob ('97)
Wife to Scott
June 1st, 2010, 07:25 PM
austlanabmv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a child in '99 GD insulin dependent , when he was 6 months old got pregnant again GD insulin dep and then 14 months after that GD insulin dep again with daughter...

it has been 7 years and i am 28 weeks pregnant GD came up really early with this baby ... i could tell at about 8 weeks my sugar was getting hi... i was getting super sluggish..... my a1c was a 5 which is non diabetic.... ha ha ... they thought i was just uncontroled while i wasnt pregnant. I'm a big girl and had lost 60 lbs and was going to the gym until my back surgery and then i gained all 60 back when i went on BC pills and then went off for a month and TADA!!!! PREGNANT!!!!

Good luck with everything

thank you AlexKatieAiden Mommy for my great siggy

June 6th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I had GD with both of my pregnancies.. I was borderline with my first but required insulin for my fasting blood sugars.. With my second, I started to monitor my blood sugars when I found out I was pregnant (I had supplies left over from my first) and my fasting blood sugars were above normal in the first trimester.. I'm glad I had the knowledge and caught the diabetes before it could affect my son.

Oh, you can ask your doctor to test early,etc.. They treated me as if I was diabetic before I was pregnant. I had to beg for them to refer me to my Endo (which I learned later on, I didn't need a referral lol). It bothered me a little bit that they said I was diabetic.. But once I had my son, it disappeared.. I've been diabetes free since.. My Endo said I was one of the few women to get it early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megg0 View Post
I think I am going to start counting carbs sooner rather than later just in case.
This is a vary smart move.. Ask for an A1C test to be done and ask for supplies to test and a referral to your Endo.. Just remember, the first trimester is the most important time to keep your blood sugars in control.. That's when the essential nervous system and brain is forming..

Quote:
Because offspring of mothers who experience both fasting (>5.8 mM) and postprandial (>6.7 mM) hyperglycemia are at greatest risk for intrauterine death or neonatal mortality, careful antepartum fetal surveillance is mandatory . The greatest risk of child malformations is during organogenesis in the first 8 weeks of pregnancy , often before the mother even knows she is pregnant. Despite the results of prospective studies demonstrating that tight diabetic control before conception is effective in reducing the risk of malformations, only 1 out of 4 pregnancies in diabetic women is properly planned .
Offspring of patients with gestational diabetes are at significant risk for fetal macrosomia and other neonatal morbidities, including hypoglycemia, hypocalcemia, polycythemia, and hyperbilirubinemia .
Diabetes and Reproduction

I know this is more then what your asked for.. Ask for an A1C to give you that piece of mind.. If it's normal, your good to go...

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; June 6th, 2010 at 11:37 PM.
July 4th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Renwick2002's Avatar Veteran
I was 10 months pregnant when her little sister was conceived. So much for it taking another 2 years!! Anyways, I had GD with my first but it was diet controlled. I passed by 1 point with my second. I was ecstatic until I gained 28 pounds in 3 months which makes me think I had it. They did test me in the beginning and I passed with flying colors. It was the 28 weeks that was a 1 pointer. Your chances are high especially being on insulin but they'll start testing you early on :-) I hope it works out for you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search