New here and new to GD... why did I spike? Help needed

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 18th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Hi ladies! I was recently diagnosed at 29 weeks with GD. It's my first pregnancy. I was initially a bit miffed at the diagnosis since I borderline failed the 3 hour GTT, but I certainly want to do what's right for the baby and me. I am currently 31 weeks pregnant.
Anyway, since starting testing, my fasting numbers have consistently been in the 80s, and my post-meal numbers are usually high 80s to low 90s. I had one meal at 98 but that was after a plate of pasta and eggplant. I think these numbers are pretty good from what I've seen on the scales used, but here's the baffling thing: tonight, I went to a ball game. I admittedly didn't have the healthiest dinner, which isn't typical for me -- a hot dog and a piece of my husband's soft pretzel (I know, carb city)-- but I walked around the stadium and up and down the stairs for a good 30 minutes to burn some of the glucose off.
Because we were at the game, I had no choice but to test 2 hours after my meal in the car on the way home. I used an alcohol based hand sanitizer with fragrance in it (unfortunately the only thing available to clean my hands) and my reading was 135! Yikes. I tried again when I had access to soap and water, about 20 mins later on the same test site, and the reading was 116.. higher than normal for me, but still under 120.
Any idea why the numbers would vary so much? Could the sanitizer have done that? Or did the 20-min time elapse make the difference? If not, why would a hot dog cause such a spike? It did have the bun and ketchup, but not in amounts over 45-60g carbs, I thought.
I'd appreciate any thoughts!! Still trying to navigate this GD thing

Last edited by DreaC707; June 19th, 2010 at 07:52 AM.
June 19th, 2010, 10:01 AM
grlpisces's Avatar Dynamite w/ a laser beam
Hiya

I had GD with both my pregnancies and was allowed the following:
30g carbs for breakfast
15 - 30g carbs for each snack, 3 a day
45g carbs for lunch & dinner

I was testing fasting, before meals, and 2-hours post-prandial. And you wouldn't believe the things the diabetes educator told me affect blood sugar results --- lack of sleep, a cold / illness, and yes -- scented lotions, hand sanitizers, etc.

I did the same thing one time after I tested. I used a vanilla scented hand sanitizer prior to testing at work, 2 hours after lunch. My reading was 190. I was all WHAT?!!! That was very unusually high for me. So I went to wash my hands w/ soap and water and tested immediately after that. My number was 116. That was more like it. Did your 20 minute time-lapse make a big difference? Maybe, but it's not like you tested an hour after, it was only 20 minutes after.

It's definitely a science for which they fine-tuned me for all the time. But the numbers you posted sound really promising. Good luck you with your pregnancy!

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggie!

I'm Barb, Mom to Angel on Earth Julia Rose (7*22*08), her twin brother Angel in Heaven Noah (7*22*08), and rainbow baby Sydney Noelle (12*4*09).

*a special 'thank you' to all the blinkie creators for their talents*
July 3rd, 2010, 07:46 AM
Renwick2002's Avatar Veteran
After I ran out of the sample blood strips they gave me I picked up my prescription and the first bottle I had almost every initial reading was high!! I almost fell over. It didn't seem right! So I would immediately test on another finger and the reading would be within range. My left pointer finger gives me higher numbers, haha! The next 2 containers have been fine as well so I think something was off with that one. I did calibrate it, etc.

You seem to have excellent numbers from what I read. As long as you are getting the carbs to know how your pancreas processes it. Don't avoid them or you'll get ketones and it can harm baby if enough get in your system. The 20 minute difference can make a huge change so it's best to stick to that 2 hour. In all honesty, the times I get an unusual high number I just try a different finger. I also know someone that gets higher testings with the alcohol sanitizer. Make sure it's nice and dry before pricking :-)

A food journal is great for gestational diabetes to get a better idea of what to expect. The hot dog may not have spiked you but the kind of bun mixed with the pretzel can. I can't eat Wonder bread for some reason. It really spikes me :-( If the second number was more accurate then you are within range and that's the idea ... the range.
July 5th, 2010, 10:25 PM
hlaverdiere's Avatar Member
Send a message via Skype™ to hlaverdiere
Any bread, milk, or fruit shoots me to the moon It was likely the pretzel. Still, below 140 is what my doc wants me at; that is the pregnancy high # whereas 120 is when you're not. At least those are my guidelines.

Mom to Kayla ('94) and Jakob ('97)
Wife to Scott

Tags
blood sugar readings , gestational diabetes , hand sanitizer , hot dog , numbers

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search