Fasting blood sugar question

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 28th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First, I am pretty sure I've had undiagnosed GD in most of my pregnancies, as I've had large babies and several that had shoulder dystocia. Doc said I "just had big babies" since I passed the 3hr glucose test. But after I had an 11lb baby, my doc said I might have a sugar problem after all. So my next pregnancy, I bought a monitor and tested and I did end up having GD and was put on insulin at the end mainly because of my continually high fasting blood sugar readings. I could usually control my post meal readings by my diet but had an occassional high reading. My little girl weighed 7 lb 14 oz and my smallest full term baby. Huge difference from my others!

We have since moved to another state and I'm pregnant again. My fastings have been high since I started testing. I haven't had any in the normal range, some in the low 100's, some in the 120's, most around 113-118. I have had an occassional high post meal reading but I've mostly been spot checking and most of those are good. I told my doc at my first appt and he said he wasn't concerned about the fastings so much, that the post meal readings were most important and acted like I really shouldn't bother testing until I'm closer to mid pregnancy. He said if we treated the fastings that he was afraid my other numbers would drop too low. Made sense to me, just very different than my other doc. My fastings were not as bad and she was concerned. But I have been talking to another person who has a similar experience and she said her doc put her on insulin in the first trimester due to her fasting blood sugars. So I was wondering what other docs did. I am over 12 weeks and have an appt tomorrow. I decided I'd write all my numbers down and bring them in for him to see, just so he knows what is going on. I really don't feel like the insulin helped that much since I only had it for 2-3 weeks before she was born. I think the diet made the biggest difference in her size. I'm just curious as to what other docs are doing.
June 28th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have no help for you, but wanted to say Hi!
There are lots of women here who are a wealth of information and I am sure you will get some insight from them!

July 2nd, 2010, 05:28 PM
Renwick2002's Avatar Veteran
Hi!

I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago and put on the diet approximately one week ago. Right now they are working on the diet with me and I have to be consistent, like a machine, or my numbers falter. Your fastings seem a little high to me, especially the 120's. If diet and exercise won't lower them they may consider a form of glucose that helps lower your fasting. It doesn't appear you need insulin if your 2 hours are fine. I was a little surprised that your doc wasn't concerned so I hope everything turns out ok!

I'm not a doc but from my understanding one of two things is happening: You aren't getting the right amount of carbs during the day so your body spikes at night or you drop too low at night so it rebounds and gets higher. Don't quote me though, best to talk to a dietitian.

Are you having a snack sometime before bed with a carb/protein balance? I have to do the max, 30 g carbs, and my numbers seem to stay around 93-97. If I exercise after dinner it will go as low as 89. It's only been 1.5 weeks but I'm already noticing a pattern.

Good luck!
July 2nd, 2010, 09:23 PM
I had forgotten about the snack until someone had suggested it the other day. I at a 15 carb snack with a protein and the past 2 days my fastings were in the lower 100's. I'll try 30 and see if that helps. The snack does seem to be helping.
July 4th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Renwick2002's Avatar Veteran
I ended up having 3 snacks last night (7 pm which was 2 hours after dinner, 9 and then 10:30 before bed I grabbed a cheese stick). First time in a week I didn't wake up starving :-) Plus, my sugars stayed at 95 so I was happy. I would love for them to be below 90 but since I'm allowed 95 I'm pleased.
July 5th, 2010, 10:32 PM
hlaverdiere's Avatar Member
Send a message via Skype™ to hlaverdiere
I'm in week 37, will be induced week 39, and was diagnosed week 30. Had decent control with diet alone but still had spikes and fastings over 95 so my doc put me on gluburide, just 2.5mg 2x/day. She wants my fastings 65-95 and to keep daily glucose under 140 (I try for less than 120). I am allowed an extra gluburide if I spike.

Mom to Kayla ('94) and Jakob ('97)
Wife to Scott
August 18th, 2010, 03:06 AM
seaside's Avatar Veteran
How are your fasting numbers when not pregnant?

I went for a regular check up the month b4 we conceived and had a high FBG (124)

the next one was 114.

My post meals were fine.

As soon as I got my positive pregnancy test, my ob/gyn sent me to a high risk clinic and endo who after 1 week not being able to get my fasting #'s down (were hovering between 105-115 w/diet & exercise plan) - put me on insulin (before bedtime) - that was week 5 of my pregnancy...

Most of the info I read online (and confirmed by my docs) explained that during pregnancy & especially during first trimester - they want FBG to be at 95 or less.

----

reason I asked what your numbers were when not pregnant - is because chances are you have impaired glucose tolerance/pre-diabetes that has been undiagnosed since impaired glucose tolerance during pregnancy doesn't start until around weeks 20-28..

That's the case with me anyway - pre-diabetes which during pregnancy is treated as full blown diabetes.

Also - ask your doc for an HBA1C test - it will give you an average blood glucose level for the last 3 months - you want it to be below 6. Mine came back at 5.8 at 6 weeks pregnant so it was ok despite the high FBG numbers - probably because my post meals were ok.

In any case - GL to you and keep us posted!!! (btw you should be dubbed SUPERWOMAN for having all those babies and being able to raise all those children and being pregnant at the same time! I am barely surviving my first pregnancy - with this nausea and exhaustion)

August 19th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I checked my sugar for a bit after I had my last baby and things looked fine so I stopped. My ob did say if I was having trouble in the first trimester then it wasn't gd but an issue I was having before becoming pregnant. He didn't do an A1C this time. I had a m/c in Nov and was having high fastings then and did one and I can't remember the number but it was normal. I weigh more this pregnancy and I know that is not helping me at all. I really need to loose some weight after I have this baby. And we're planning on keeping the diet changes we're making after I have the baby. I really don't want to end up with diabetes and dh has a lot of family with poor health issues so we really need to make healthy changes.
November 11th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Khara
That's weird your doc said to ignore the fasting #'s because my doc says that is what matters the most. Mine have not been too bad, usually just over 100 but he put me on glyburide anyway because he wants them less than 90. Come on, if my sugars were that low I would not even have diabetes, it seems a little silly to expect them to be so low. I also got diagnosed this time very early in pregnancy (since I had it with my last one) so I think I had pre-diabetes already...
December 23rd, 2010, 06:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm type one and have been told I need to be 60-90 fasting and under 120 two hours post meal.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search