Sudden drop in blood sugar- 35 weeks pregnant

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Hi everyone! So, here's my story. I was diagnosed at 29 weeks with GD. I barely failed the tests so it seems I have a mild case, and luckily I have been able to control it with diet. My numbers have been in range over 95% of the time, usually in the high 80s/low 90s for fastings and 90s to 100s post-meal, and I've still been eating adequate carbs per the diet plan.

About 2 days ago, my numbers have suddenly plummeted extremely low... low 70s for fasting and low 80s 1 hour post-prandial. So, per my diabetes clinic's suggestion, I experimented a bit with it today... I ate an unrestricted lunch (fries, chicken sandwich with white bun) and had a 140 after 1 hour (kind of high, but 'top of range'... and considering what I ate, not shocking!) and 115 2 hr. I had ravioli and salad for dinner and tested a 89 after two hours.

To make sure there is no serious malfunction happening, I calibrated the meter, and checked the numbers against a new box of test strips-- the meter is in range and the test strips checked out fine.

I called my midwife, my diabetes education clinic and another OB's office that specializes in high risk, and no one I spoke with could understand the reasons for this. And, unfortunately there's very little online about it either.

Has anyone heard of this happening? What are the possible causes if so? I've heard a few theories (eg labor is close, or the placenta may be deteriorating) but I'm wondering if there are any other explanations either? FYI that my doc office will likely check the placenta on US to rule out that latter scenario (I'm waiting to hear back).

BTW I believe labor might be fairly close myself... am getting all sorts of early signs. But, trying to figure this all out of course! Ideas and others' experiences are most appreciated! Thanks all.
October 18th, 2010, 11:30 PM
WoodysWife2005's Avatar Veteran
HA! I know this is an old post, but I experienced the same identical situation in Feb 2010 myself. My doc had no explanation except that it is common? I am hoping to have it happen again this go around... lol. Hope all went well w/you

Tags
blood sugar dropping , blood sugar improving , end of pregnancy , placenta deterioration

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search