Found out yesterday I have GD...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2010, 05:40 PM
sweet7696's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi everyone! I just found out yesterday afternoon I have gestational diabetes.... I won't hear from the perinatologist until Tuesday. Can anyone give me suggestions as to what carb counts I should try to stick to? My husband is type 1 diabetic, so I know what is good for him, but being pregnant and diabetic is a whole new ball game... Any input is greatly appreciated!

Jess

July 24th, 2010, 09:40 PM
ladybugmomma's Avatar Trisha
i wasn't told anything by my dietician, but what my numbers should be.
However I've read that most have to have around 45 g of carbs for breakfast and lunch, 60 for dinner, 30 for snacks and have at least half that amount of protein.
I hope that helps.
July 26th, 2010, 04:33 AM
armywife123's Avatar Regular
Breakfast 15g

AM snack 15g

Lunch 30-45g

PM snack 15g

Dinner 45g

Bed snack 30g

I started Glyburide week 12 and went on insulin in week 15. I'm still struggling to get the fasting number below 100.
July 26th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Even with carb counting, I would ask your doctor if you could routinely check your blood sugar so you know that you are always "in range". It'll help you find the foods that are the culprit to elevating your blood sugar dramatically.

Hrmm, I found this for testing your blood sugar:

Test before eating breakfast – plasma reading needs to read below 105
2 Hours after meals – plasma reading should read below 130

In case you want this....(Source: Sugar Levels Gestational Diabetes < Pregnancy and Diabetes)
July 27th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Veteran
HI! I was diagnosed with GD at 14wks. I am now at 28wks. These were the guidelines that I was given:
Fasting glucose: 100 or below, but dont panic if its a couple of point over 100 once in awhile
Then I have breakfast: they say 45-60 carbs but I stick to around 30-40 because I found that is what my body handles best and then I test 2 hours after I started eating and that needs to be under 120
Then I have a mid-morning snack: 15-30 carbs, I usually have an english muffin with cream cheese (for the calcium)
Then lunch: which again they say 45-60 but I stick around 30 carbs and test 2 hours later with my reading below 120.
Then a late afternoon snack: 15-30 carbs
Then dinner: which again they say 45-60 carbs but I try to stay in the 30-45 range and I test 2 hours later for a reading under 120
Then a bedtime snack: This is important for your ketones. I tried many things and found the following to work best for me but you need to experiment. I usuallly have a bowl of cereal (like a cup of cheerios) with 8 oz of milk in it. I also found a cup of ice cream with nuts on it worked well for me or an apple with peanut butter and a glass of milk. These all keep my ketones at negative or trace.

The bottom line is your body will respond differently to foods. For instance, I cannot have rice of any kind because it shoots my blood sugar up like crazy. But pasta is fine for me (in controlled amounts).

Also, don't panic if you are a few points off on one reading or if your ketones are small one day.
Hope this helps, if you need any other info feel free to pm me! Good Luck
July 28th, 2010, 08:00 AM
sweet7696's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks everyone! I'm currently waiting for fetal & maternal medicine to call me back about my appointment... Since they only do diabetes education on Wednesdays and they still haven't received my info from my doctor, I'm guessing next Wednesday is the day. Thanks for all the guidelines. I've been trying hard to keep an eye on things, but sometimes it's hard....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search