I need lunch ideas..

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2010, 02:30 PM
sweet7696's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi everyone! I get to do my diabetes class on Wednesday, but until then, I'm struggling with lunch ideas. I have 30 minutes to eat at work. We have a toaster and a microwave, so anything more complicated than that is out. I know we aren't supposed to have deli meat (or at least I read that somewhere the last time I was pregnant), but I really love turkey sandwiches. Anyone else eating deli meat or is it really just off limits???
Jess

July 31st, 2010, 07:09 PM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I eat deli meat.

I have been doing a lot of whole wheat quesedillas (sp?) for lunch. I do ham and swiss, turkey and cheese, steak and cheese, etc.

I am never really hungry for lunch. I was never a big breakfast person so to be eating breakfast, then a small snack, then lunch.... yeah not very hungry

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

August 1st, 2010, 04:28 PM
sweet7696's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks! I think I'm going to make a hot turkey sandwich for lunch... We'll see how that works out...

August 3rd, 2010, 05:57 PM
I've been doing a sandwich (yes, with deli meat) and for my carbs I either do a "no sugar added" apple sauce or one of those frozen single serving microwave veggies (broccoli and cheese or cauliflower and cheese) and then I get a Jell-O sugar free pudding for dessert

If you can find it (I've had some issues) Nature's Own has a "light" honey wheat bread that has significantly lower carbs (19g for two slices, where most breads have nearly double that)
August 5th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Veteran
I buy carb smart bread where its like 7 grams per slice. Its a bit different from regular bread but still pretty good but I am staying away from deli meat while preggers!
August 13th, 2010, 08:45 AM
I've been told by a nurse that deli meat is OK as long as you get it steaming hot before you eat it (to kill the listeria) so I put a single serving in the microwave for about 40 seconds to get it hot. You can do this the night before and then put it in the fridge to cool it down.

I eat a lot of deli sandwiches for lunch, I just make sure that I make them myself and that the meat has been heated.

I also really like the Nature's Own brand 100% whole wheat bread. It does not contain any high fructose corn syrup and each slice of bread only has 10g of carbs. Most whole wheat bread has about 15g of carbs per slice, so you can have a sandwich with only 20g of carbs versus 30g of carbs.
August 18th, 2010, 03:35 AM
seaside's Avatar Veteran
yea, so long as you get it steaming hot it's ok.

don't know what your carb limit is - mine's 30 grams & I'm not supposed to count veggies as part of the carb count. Seriously I am so happy to hear I am not the only one here who feels like a stuffed turkey! When I complained to my dietitian that it's TOO MUCH FOOD - she looked at me as if I'm nuts.. mind you she is way thinner than me and told me that if she ate what I ate she'd be hungry all the time don't you just LOVE those people (sarcasm)

back to lunch ideas - any cooked sandwich you can get on whole wheat (hamburger, grilled chicken, roast turkey, grilled cheese, etc.) should be fine.

if you're making your own and want some variety - try tuna/egg salad, salad w/grilled chicken etc.

bottom line is - you can basically eat anything you did before - just make sure you avoid uncooked fish (smoked/sushi, and deli meat) and substitute regular bread for whole wheat.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search