New =\ This is hard...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 15th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Erin84's Avatar POAS Queen
It's been quite the saga... I took the 1-hr test and my #s were elevated, tried the 3-hr and threw it up, tried the 3-hr and threw it up again, changed my diet for a week and tried the 1-hr and it was still elevated. My office just kept wanting me to do these tests over and over again, and I felt it was really unsafe for the baby, especially if I did have GD... Fasting? Sugar overloads? Not the best idea it would seem, especially over & over like this! So I requested to just have the glucometer instead. I don't KNOW if I have GD... But my numbers suck. A lot. I usually get one high reading per day... So I'm saying I do... I've been doing this for about 6 days now and just can't seem to figure it out. So this afternoon I'm going to check out the cookbook Betty Crocker has out for regular diabetics, adjust accordingly if necessary, make a snack and meal plan to last a whole week, and then go grocery shopping to satisfy that list. I really hope this helps...

My other worry is that I'm already 32 weeks. I feel like so much damage has already been done, especially if my numbers come back crummy even when I'm trying to help them out. It makes me feel like I've already "messed up my kid" or something =\ 'Cause I was probably getting bad numbers after almost every meal before I got the glucometer...

Last night I made breakfast for dinner and it was delicious, and my number was something like 115 I had a fried egg, 1/2 slice whole wheat toast with cream cheese, 1 nice big slice of turkey bacon, 1/2 a boiled sweet potato with a little butter and cinnamon, and a glass of milk. YUM. That one meal kind of motivated me to check out the cookbook, 'cause I feel like I'm just having to forego eating anything tasty and replace it a diet of predominantly eggs and veggies =\ Fruit always skyrockets me. I miss fruit. I don't think I've had vitamin C in a long time

It just doesn't feel fair. I'm 5'5 and started this pregnancy at 110 pounds. I'm a former Marine who loves being in shape. I'm a marathon runner. I walk A LOT with this pregnancy 'cause physical activity keeps me sane -- yesterday I walked for an hour! I don't eat like a saint, but I'm not going crazy, either =\ It's just not right. I've been so healthy my entire adult life, and now this, when I'm trying to be a safe place for my developing baby. It hurts.

With us on earth for five short days, with us in our hearts forever.
(Thank you Natasha for this beautiful graphic of Andrew, and to the ladies of the Nov 10 PR who help me in carrying on his memory.)

Jan. 2009: Came off years of BCP and started TTC
March 2010: BFP -- finally!
Oct. 22, 2010: Drew is born, but has to stay in the NICU because of cord complications resulting in oxygen deprivation and brain problems =(
Oct. 27, 2010: I held him in my arms while Daddy, Grandma, Great-Uncle and I sang him to sleep =( Hardest thing I've ever done...
June 14, 2011: Drew's baby brother or sister waved hi to us with a BFP!
June 25, 2011: Natural miscarriage... Can we please catch a break here?
Nov. 2011: 100mg Clomid followed by 2mg Estrogen, Ovidrel trigger, and 200mg progesterone suppositories 2x/day 14 days. BFN.
Dec. 2011: 2nd medicated cycle. BFN.
Jan. 2012: Took a month off to breathe...
Feb. 2012: Same regimen of Clomid and other meds, add IUI. 2 eggs and 8.5 million swimmers. BFN.
March 2012: 75 IU Follistim CD 3-11, follie scan CD 8 showed 6 follies likely to mature. Triggered, IUI on CD 14, 4 million swimmers. BFN.
April 2012: 75 IU Follistim CD 3-10. Scan showed 2 mature follies, 2 almost certain to mature, and two not likely but possible. (All 6 evenly and perfectly spaced out between the left and the right.) Triggered, IUI CD 13 with 5 million swimmers. BFN.
May 2012: 75 IU Follistim starting CD 3. Waiting to O. Timed intercourse. Likely 5 follies to mature.

^^ Click graphic for chart ^^

September 17th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry! It can be so frustrating! I had this with my last pregnancy, but I was able to control my post meal numbers pretty well with my diet, my fastings stayed high until they put me on insulin. This pregnancy, my fastings are higher and so are my post meals. I was put on glyburide 2 weeks ago and I'm still having trouble with my fastings and some meals. doc increases the dose so I hope that works. But it is so frustrating to me that I'm following the diet, taking the meds and still having trouble.
September 17th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Delekatala's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Delekatala
Sounds like you are working hard. and it IS making a difference, because if you weren't eating better your numbers would be a lot worse. I will give you some quick tips on a diabetic diet, hopefully they will help.

Remember protein does not raise your sugar, and it helps keep your sugars level when eaten with carbs. Protein is meat, cheese and egg.

The formula is 1 ounce of protein for every 15 grams of carbs. never eat a carb without a protein. This is important because the protein will help it take longer for your body to digest the sugar, so instead of spiking 100 points an hour after eating, you will spike 50 points for a little longer. Lower more steady numbers.

1 cup of rice or pasta is 45 carbs, so you would want to eat at least 3 oz of protein with it.

Vegetables have carbs, but we don't count them because it is so little it doesn't make a difference. Corn is a starch not a vegetable.

Numbers tend to spike overnight while you are fasting, If your numbers are high when you wake up eat a small snack right before bed. I usually eat 1oz protein and 15 grams carb. But when I was pregnant I was doing 2oz and 30 grams. Chicken nuggets are my favorite for before bed, the batter is just enough carbs, so I have 6 nuggets and I am good. It seems funny that you have to eat to get lower numbers, but it works.

Don't get discouraged about your numbers. You are not failing at all, pregnancy makes you insullin resistant sometimes, and it is nobodies fault. It took me a couple years to really master how to perfect my sugars, I can't imagine how you guys do it in weeks during a pregnancy, Diabetes isn't easy and you are doing a great job!
September 17th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Erin84's Avatar POAS Queen
I've gotten a lot of help as well from the other women in my due date club who have been diagnosed with GD. It's taking quite the emotional toll on me, which is weird considering I'm usually not a very emotional person... I guess it's because I know I'm trying to care for the little life inside me. I also might need to start snacking in the middle of the night to help with my fasting number... I mean, do I really need to know a fasting number? If I know it's gonna suck, and I know waking up and having a boiled egg will fix it, then it seems to me like I should just fix it. *shrug*

With us on earth for five short days, with us in our hearts forever.
(Thank you Natasha for this beautiful graphic of Andrew, and to the ladies of the Nov 10 PR who help me in carrying on his memory.)

Jan. 2009: Came off years of BCP and started TTC
March 2010: BFP -- finally!
Oct. 22, 2010: Drew is born, but has to stay in the NICU because of cord complications resulting in oxygen deprivation and brain problems =(
Oct. 27, 2010: I held him in my arms while Daddy, Grandma, Great-Uncle and I sang him to sleep =( Hardest thing I've ever done...
June 14, 2011: Drew's baby brother or sister waved hi to us with a BFP!
June 25, 2011: Natural miscarriage... Can we please catch a break here?
Nov. 2011: 100mg Clomid followed by 2mg Estrogen, Ovidrel trigger, and 200mg progesterone suppositories 2x/day 14 days. BFN.
Dec. 2011: 2nd medicated cycle. BFN.
Jan. 2012: Took a month off to breathe...
Feb. 2012: Same regimen of Clomid and other meds, add IUI. 2 eggs and 8.5 million swimmers. BFN.
March 2012: 75 IU Follistim CD 3-11, follie scan CD 8 showed 6 follies likely to mature. Triggered, IUI on CD 14, 4 million swimmers. BFN.
April 2012: 75 IU Follistim CD 3-10. Scan showed 2 mature follies, 2 almost certain to mature, and two not likely but possible. (All 6 evenly and perfectly spaced out between the left and the right.) Triggered, IUI CD 13 with 5 million swimmers. BFN.
May 2012: 75 IU Follistim starting CD 3. Waiting to O. Timed intercourse. Likely 5 follies to mature.

^^ Click graphic for chart ^^

September 26th, 2010, 02:46 PM
want1baby's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to want1baby
Increase protein and lower carbs is the key.It took me until being put on insulin to understand.Our before bed snack really is important. It gives our body something to work with and not have to work overtime in our sleep to prodduce its own insulin.

[URL="http://[URL]http://www.widdlytinks.com"][/URL. /URL]]
Photo Tinks by WiddlyTinks.com

Make a pregnancy ticker

[url=http://pregnancy.baby-gaga.com/]

October 7th, 2010, 08:44 AM
I feel ya..I'm in the air force and was at a healthy weight before I got pregnant, and am still at where Im supposed to be at 29 weeks, I've gained 15-20 pds. I was so pissed when my 1 hr results came back, but I just blame it on my father! He has diabetes and I guess some of us have no control over what our bodies do. I hope your baby is fine, and if you ate healthy before the dieting is not too hard, I just miss ice cream!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search