GD and Insulin

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2010, 07:56 AM
I was put on insulin yesterday and I kinda feel it is unnessasary. Is anyone else on insulin?? If so what were your numbers that prompted them to put you on it?? My elevated numbers were my fasting numbers, although last week those were fine and it was my after dinner numbers that were elevated. So in the 2 weeks I have been testing they have flip flopped. My highest fasting number this past week was 96 and they want me below 90.
October 2nd, 2010, 04:09 PM
want1baby's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to want1baby
I have been on insulin for about a week and a half.My hi numbers were my fasting and dinner as well.it was after failure to get under control after being maxed out on glyburide that the insulin came.honestly I can say I wasn't. Trying my hardest to watch my carbs and sugars.I very rarely had a bedtime snack which should help those fasting numbers.If we don't have that to help during the night our bodies start producing its own things our body needs to try and control our natural insulin .the longer we go without eating the harder the body has to work.so now that I'm on insulin I pay more attention and have my bedtime snack.I have been having a simple piece of natures own whole grain toast with peanut butter. I bought some sugar free preserves to try on my toast got to try different things.Protein is our friend.Snack on peanuts or eating meat or beans are good proteins.even if I just eat a couple of spoonfuls of peanut butter before bed.That is some protein for our body to work on through the night instead of a carb.Good luck with the transition.

[URL="http://[URL]http://www.widdlytinks.com"][/URL. /URL]]
Photo Tinks by WiddlyTinks.com

Make a pregnancy ticker

[url=http://pregnancy.baby-gaga.com/]

October 7th, 2010, 07:21 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I'm a Type 1 diabetic so I have to be on insulin, pregnant or not, but compared to my non-insulin taking friends, I think I'm happier on the insulin. In fact, i wouldn't let them take me off of it if they tried. I just like having more precise control of my sugars, and I liked knowing that if I had a sugar spike I could fix it right away and it would affect the baby less.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

October 9th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Veteran
I've been gestational diabetic for about 3 weeks now, but my husband has been Type I for 20 years. I'm a little jealous that he can eat some things I can't and compensate for it by taking insulin. On the other hand, my blood sugar monitoring and diet will end in 8 weeks or so, and his won't. It is nice having him around to help me understand carbs and protein and stuff, and he's far better than me at estimating how many carbs are in a meal.
October 12th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Sparkling Super Mommy
Have you tried glyburide or metaformin? Or did your doc put you on insulin without trying other methods? I had this happen and I changed docs lol. The gly or metaformin doesn't cross the placenta and considered safe for baby. Just my 2cents

October 18th, 2010, 10:06 PM
WoodysWife2005's Avatar Veteran
I agree with Ocean Lover... also, my OB wants a fast under 100, so I probably would speak w/another OB to get their opinion.
November 1st, 2010, 10:20 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
When I had GD with both of my pregnancies.. My FB had to be under 90 and mine ranged between 95-110 during the first part of the third trimester and then sky rocted from there.. With my second, GD started right away and I had my numbers in control when I found out I was pregnant (longest 9 months of my life).. I was on Insulin NPH.. I never did the pill, with my first pregnancy it was not approved for pregnancy and then it changed when I was pregnant with my son.. I refused to be a guinea pig..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; November 1st, 2010 at 10:23 PM.
November 5th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not on insulin yet this pregnancy, but I was last pregnancy for my fasting sugars. They were supposed to be under 90 and very rarely did I get them below 110 even with constantly upping the insulin.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search