New and a few questions

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 7th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Hello All-
It is comforting to know that there are more out there with GD and I am not alone! I got diagnosed about 2 weeks ago and have had to start checking my levels 4x a day and just make sure I get good exercise and am on the diet.
I've been checking for about 2 weeks now and I have never had a high number. I have not even gotten to talk to my dr about GD yet, I only took the 1 hr glucose test and my reading was 170 so they sent me over to the dietician/nutritionist without even giving me the 3hr. I was kind of pissed about that. Now that I check my numbers, they always come in good. My fasting is always between 70-90 and 2 hrs after eating has never been 110. Do you guys think I should get checked again fo a wrong diagnosis?
Also there has been a few times where I get weird readings, like 50 or 60 so I check again and my numbers come in, does this happen to others? What the heck causes this. Thanks!
October 7th, 2010, 08:18 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
False lows are uncommon, in a year and a half of being Type 1 I've never had one, so I can't explain that. And I would ask for the 3 hour GTT, even if it comes back the same, extra testing never hurt.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

October 7th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Juneleigh's Avatar Veteran
Demand the 3 hour test!! You have a right to take it. I took the 3 hour test and 2 of my numbers were *just* over, and so they consider me to have gestational diabetes, so I'm going to request to take another one at my doctor's appointment today. It's worth a shot anyway. The nurse told me that they make everyone test their blood sugars who are *just* over, just to be safe, but in the long run it makes doctors nervous, expecially if your over your due date. Why deal with that when you don't have to in the first place?
October 7th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'll def. call, I've had a lot of problems with my OB, and am contemplating changing, I'm just scared to change at 29 weeks.
October 8th, 2010, 09:52 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
The development of GD doesn't have all that much to do with how in shape and/or healthy you were pre-pregnancy. It's all about the placenta.

The hormones in the placenta cause your body to become resistant to it's own insulin - the insulin your body makes is no longer getting the job done. Some women experience this to a greater degree than others, and get GD. The reason women don't get GD until the late 2cnd trimester is because the insulin resistance gets worse as the placenta gets larger, and your body can adapt for awhile. And GD disappears literally INSTANTLY after the delivery of the placenta - because the placenta is the problem. I'm a Type 1 diabetic, which is different, but my diabetes got worse in pregnancy thanks to the placenta, and as soon as my son's placenta was delivered they cut my insulin dose in half, and they had to cut it again the next day. So tell your DH to get you a big milkshake once you have the baby!

Don't blame yourselves, because it's not your fault - it's just a side effect of taking good care of your baby.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search