Question about new pregnancy after having GD in the past

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 8th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was borderline GD with Halleigh, so my doctor had me follow the GD diet. He believes the women who are borderline often get overlooked, and it's better to be safe. I was wondering if I have to get tested right away since I was borderline last time? Should I be on that diet right now until I find out? Any info would be appreciated.

October 9th, 2010, 04:13 PM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am pg with baby #3 and have had GD with all 3 kiddo's. But was not tested until 24w with the last two. DS#1 had no issue's from my GD and this baby seems to be fine and it growing great...not to big...not to small.

Have you asked your OB about this yet?

October 9th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Super Mommy
I had GD with my first pregnancy and I have it again with this one. This pregnancy they tested me at 16 weeks and I passed with flying colors, but failed when I was tested at 26 and 28 weeks. You might have it, but it may not show up until later in the pregnancy like me. Other women fail earlier too. It just depends on the person. You can ask your doctor and they might test you earlier to check.

October 12th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Sparkling Super Mommy
Hi I am from the ddc of feb 11 and this is #4 and gd with all, I was on the diet before conceived - just in case- I was also borderline before conceived. I have tried to stay off meds and use diet and exercise, my numbers are creeping up so I will go on glyburide again - I am 21 wks.

October 13th, 2010, 09:38 PM
austlanabmv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just delivered my 4th in august ... my diabetes came back with this child around 11 weeks .... the earliest of any of them .... it came back slow and then got worse towords the end but was able to figure out what made my nubers go up and what foods to eat to give myself good numbers.... mine was insulin controled .... my son was 7lbs 3 oz and only had 1 dip in blood sugars just mildly from my insulin and probably delivering him at 4 in the afternoon and not eating since midnight.............. best of luck

thank you AlexKatieAiden Mommy for my great siggy

November 1st, 2010, 11:15 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Hi there..

One thing to remember about 8 months ago, they changed the GD guidelines.. So, during our last pregnancy, those who barely passed, would fail now..

New gestational diabetes guidelines could find more women at risk | Booster Shots | Los Angeles Times

I had to beg to be treated for diabetes when I was pregnant with A.J.. I asked to get an A1C test when I found out I was pregnant and I made them give me a referral to my Endo (found out later I didn't need a referral) .. I was one of the lucky people who had GD in the first trimester.. Luckily, I learned about GD with my first and took the right steps that kept A.J safe..

Trust your mommy instincts.. You should ask to get an A1C test done.. Just to see how your blood sugars are at for the past 2-3 months.. It will give you a piece of mind..

A1C - American Diabetes Association

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; November 1st, 2010 at 11:19 PM.
November 11th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Khara
I think you should get tested as soon as possible. This is my 3rd and I had GD with the last one... I was diagnosed at around 9-10 weeks don't remember exactly but I got GD almost imediately after getting pregnant. I'm not an expert, but I think If your sugars are really high early in pregnancy it can cause birth defects so I don't know why doctors aren't more cautious with patients who had previous GD. I'm scared this baby will have something wrong because I ate a ton of junk before I got diagnosed this time around.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search