Gestational Diabetes and a natural birth.....

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 14th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Juneleigh's Avatar Veteran
Anyone? Please tell me there is hope.
October 18th, 2010, 10:02 PM
WoodysWife2005's Avatar Veteran
Hmmmm.. why would you think that there is not hope? Someone said something to scare you? You may be induced early, but I don't know why not.
October 20th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Sparkling Super Mommy
If a Gestational diabetic mom is on insulin, the docs tend want to monitor continually, iv's, and limited movement from the bed. This has been my personal experience- 3 babies later. I am hoping with this one if not on insulin, I will have a saline lock and stay at home as long as possible. Just my two cents. Definetly talk with your doc and discuss your wishes. Good luck

October 21st, 2010, 08:22 AM
Juneleigh's Avatar Veteran
I was a little freaked out when I first heard that I had it, and read up on all the info on over-sized babies and high-risk pregnancies, etc etc. I went to the doc. yesterday and she said I was just on the cusp of being high-risk and she was thinking of sending me to obstetrics instead of staying with her (GP), and I told her I'd rather stay with her... so she sent a letter just to find out what they say. I know that with an obstetritian there will be a higher chance that they will want to induce or do a c-section. We have a doula and are really hoping to keep it as natural as possible.
November 5th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I had GD and was on insulin from 30 weeks til delivery with my daughter. I was induced at 39 weeks, they wouldn't let me go further, but she was a nice perfect 7 lb 7 oz.

November 11th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Khara
I had GD with my last pregnancy and was very diligent about keeping my sugars under control... I kept to my direct strictly and walked every day around lunch time. My baby not not large, just average size. And I was at double risk because I had c-section with my first and I was INSISTENT on doing a V-BAC with the 2nd and my doctor fought with me every step of the way trying to convince me to do another c-section since my first was a "failure to decend" and also because of the GD, he said I only had a 3% chance of delivering vaginally. But I was stubborn!! I told him that is what I wanted to do, I did not want to be induced or schedule a c-section. Well he was a week late and with the GD I was in danger of him getting to big so they wanted to induce - I told him to break my water but not give me any pitocen. They broke my water and he was born 3 hours later - naturally. So don't let them get you down with statistics, if you have the will to do it and really take good care of yourself and try to prepare your body for the birth any way you can, then you have very good chances! Good luck to you
November 14th, 2010, 08:03 AM
FyreMommy2B's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had GD with my 1st pregnancy and delivered our daughter naturally at 36w 3k, she weighed 5lb 9oz. I was induced but not because of GD, but high blood pressure which I had been in the hospital for 2 weeks on bedrest when they finally said .... time to deliver! I think I was more concerned about they Dr. giving me Magnesium for the blood pressure but they didn't which I was SO RELIEVED about!

Our 2 year journey through Infertility & conceiving via IUI
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1a8678

November 15th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Sparkling Super Mommy
But yes ....absolutely you can have a natural birth. I meant to post this after my first post.

November 29th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Yes, you can have a natural birth and EAT while your laboring..

I ate during both of my inducements, numbers always stayed in the 70's.. Never needed insulin (I was on NPH for my FBS).. My Endo told me my numbers were great due to all the contractions I was having, it was burning off those carbs..

I didn't have a natural birth (I'm a wimp and wanted an epidural, which was wonderful).. But I could have if I wanted too, minus the pitocin..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; November 29th, 2010 at 11:48 PM.
December 3rd, 2010, 09:34 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a c/s for cpd, not due to a large baby

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search