3 hour Glucose Tolerance Test *searched for other posts with no luck*

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 12th, 2010, 06:39 AM
FyreMommy2B's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Ladies,

My name is April & I just found out recently that I'm pregnant with #2. As you can guess, I went in for routine bloodwork and the Dr. said my A1C? was slightly elevated and wants me to take a 3 hr test. I have my first ultrasound next Monday and they are estimating I'm 8-9 weeks along. Yes! still very early.

Now here's my question, I would like to hear about everyone's 3hr test and how far along they were when they had it. Details would be great! I had GD with our daughter which was diagnosed when I was about 27weeks (failed 1hr so bad they never made me do the 3hr) and I was put on Glyburide. I know how to eat with GD so that's not too much stress really HOWEVER......

I am in my 1st Trimester, dealing with Morning Sickness and ridiculous hunger. This baby wakes me up like clockwork every morning at 2am and I am unable to go back to sleep if I don't eat. Needless to say, with my 1yr old daughter and a husband in the Air Force who is away alot... I can't afford to be nodding off while I'm caring for her.

I nearly got sick with the 1hr but I was able to not throw up and keep it down. I hear that if you get sick that they have to redo the test, is that correct? Also, with regards to having to fast before the 3hr, I just honest to God don't think that is possible right now with morning sickness (if I don't eat I get sick and throw up). The blood sugar they checked when I had my bloodwork done was done while I was drinking a Sobe Vitamin Water type drink & was NOT a fasting bloodwork. My result was 5.8.

The Dr. said that was the equivalent of not passing the 1hr which I don't get but okay. I don't see how they can determine that since I had just eaten and had a drink containing sugar. I was looking at Normal and Abnormal levels here...

Glucose Tests: The Tests

Quote:
* Some use a cutoff of 130 mg/dL (7.2 mmol/L) because that identifies 90% of women with gestational diabetes, compared to 80% identified using the threshold of 140 mg/dL (7.8 mmol/L).
Sorry for the long post and thank you for any help! I'm tempted to get my monitor from the last pregnancy out and request a script for new needles and strips and just monitor / record everything for a week or 2 rather than do the 3 hour.

ps. - Ashlynn was born at 36w 3d (I was induced because of high blood pressure) and weighed 5lb 9oz.

Our 2 year journey through Infertility & conceiving via IUI
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1a8678

Last edited by FyreMommy2B; November 12th, 2010 at 06:42 AM. Reason: additional information
November 12th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Khara
I was also diagnosed this time very early - about 9-10 weeks. I failed the 1 hr and then failed the 3 hr.

Is it possible you already had type 2 diabetes OR pre-diabetes even before you got pregnant? I think that is the case for me and that's why I failed the test so early in the pregnancy.

Yes if you throw up they will make you reschedule the test. It is very hard not to puke with that nasty sweet stuff. I had to try not to breathe through my nose while drinking it and that helped a bit as I couldn't really taste it that way. It was still rough though.

It is definitely hard to go so long without eating... I've heard that some places will let you eat a snack after you drink the juice, if you bring something with you. Maybe you can ask if this is an option.
November 12th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Since you have the monitor, I would ask the doc if you can monitor at home for a bit rather than doing the 3hr. I didn't have to do the 3 hr this time because I had been doing that since I found out I was pregnant. In my past pregnancies, I passed the 3hr easily and didn't find out I had a sugar problem until I started monitoring at home. Doc said there was no need to do the test, since I was checking and watching my diet. Said I was already doing everything he'd have me do if I failed it. I eventually had to be put on glyburide because my numbers got worse. Doing a lot better now.
November 13th, 2010, 07:19 AM
FyreMommy2B's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well we've checked and my A1C is in the normal range but on the high end of normal. I'm going to tell the Dr. I decline the 3hr and will just monitor my blood sugars as I normally would with GD. I may not have it now but I'm sure at some point I will in the pregnancy. I just can't see putting myself through that hellacious 3hr so early on in my pregnancy.

Our 2 year journey through Infertility & conceiving via IUI
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1a8678

December 24th, 2010, 07:17 AM
SuthrnMommy's Avatar That's "Doctor" to you!
I held the 1-hour drink down just fine, but threw up the 3-hour drink. I was told I would have to just come back another day, so I left with NO intention of coming back! They had already stuck me twice at the dr. office and once at the hospital. I'm not going to get stuck every time I go to the hospital and just HOPE I am able to keep my drink down....

So my plan is to watch my blood sugar with an at-home meter (which I started today) and just not do the 3-hour test. I will be calling my dr. on Monday to fill him in on the new plan! I'm sure this won't be a problem though, as the 3-hour test is supposed to keep you from having to check your blood sugar, but I really don't mind.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, AlexAiden Mommy!
December 26th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was dx with gdm with DS1 at 26 weeks, went on insulin ten days later.
With this pg, my internist is calling me gdm, likely a pre diabetic before I got pg, and instead of doing a gtt, he made me start doing glucs fasting, and 1-2 hours post three meals. That was at 4 weeks. At 6 weeks, I went on nph night insulin, and on Jan 5th I see him again to see if I go on regular insulin with meals.
So, instead of dragging me thru the gtts, he just had me do glucs four times a day, and called me gdm.
December 27th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The A1c does not need to be fasting and while a 5.8 is good for a diabetic, it is not a normal reading. A non diabetic a1c should be around 4.6-4.8. I would monitor at home. Get some fasting numbers and 2 hour post meal and see where you are.
January 1st, 2011, 03:16 PM
Delekatala's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Delekatala
An A1C is an average of your blood sugar over a 3 month time, so no matter what you ate or drank that day it wont affect it.

If you get any abnormal readings at all I would strongly urge you to take the 3 hour test. When I did my diabetic pre-pregnancy counseling they said the first 14 weeks is really important to have perfect sugar control. Because the baby is still in early development and high sugars can cause birth defects and complications. These first few important weeks is when you really want to be sure, rather than waiting. Just my two cents.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search