Non stress testing- Frustrated and looking for input

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 19th, 2010, 06:28 PM
I'm 33 weeks this week. Diagnosed GD about 28 weeks. Since that time I have had great numbers. All in the range and on the lower side of the range. Baby is VERY active- much more so than my NON GD first boy.

However, my Dr. still wanted to do a Non Stress Test. Said see how it goes and go from there. I reluctantly agree and figure if things are bad I will want to know and if they are good I'll be done with that.

Had the test yesterday. It went great. They said baby looks great- passed flying colors.
Then, go to get next appointment and they want to see me again in a week. Next OB appt is 2 weeks. I ask about waiting until next appt. Scheduler says, "Oh well it doesn't matter the result, once we do one we always have to bring you back weekly."

Huh? What about the "depends on the results" and I cannot tell you how I loathe "we have to" thing. The nurse who saw me they bring up and she says next appt is fine but reluctantly. Dr. was out on a delivery so I cannot speak to him.

Here is the thing: Several sources online and in books I have say it is ludicrous to monitor baby so closely when my sugars are so well controlled. I am feeling great about the pregnancy and my numbers before the test but extra procedures always key me up. It takes a while to get to doctor (hr each way) and the test took a while and it just annoys me because it makes me nervous for no good reason. This isn't good for the baby.

My husband had CANCER and they gave him his "choices" for treatment. I have GD and it just keeps feeling as if they don't trust my hunches about my body and my choices. If you question anything they pull out the "you'll hurt your baby" card and try and make you feel like an awful person.

Anyone else feel like opting out of this thing or- horror of horrors- actually refuse to take the NST in a similar situation?
November 23rd, 2010, 01:43 PM
Veteran
My midwife didn't start doing NST's until my 36 week appointment, and now we do them at every appointment, which happens weekly. My blood sugars have also been really good, and my baby very active. I guess with GD there's still a risk of the placenta wearing out early, which is the reason for the NSTs. I don't think you need to feel guilty about waiting until your normal appointment, but if it was me, I wouldn't consider opting out entirely. I like hearing the baby's heartbeat and seeing him/her respond well - it gives me comfort, especially now that it moves less because it's so crowded in there.
November 23rd, 2010, 03:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Irishgirl. It is your decision and there is no reason to feel guilty for not having them, but if it were me I would have them. If it were something more invasive, that would be a different story. With my daughter I had then twice a week from 34 weeks (not for GD but for other reasons). It was a PITA at times trucking myself to the hospital 2 times a week, but in the end it gave me peace of mind.

December 5th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to swozze3 Send a message via Yahoo to swozze3
with my other two pregnancies I had non stress test 2x weekly after 32 oe 34 weeks eventhough my #'s were great....with my 1st pregnancy my A1C just before delivery was like 4.2 with my second I was closer to 5 with my 3rd I have no idea because I was like 7.8 before I got pregnant and am still working on bringing them down...some days are good some days are bad.....
December 5th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I started my NST's around 34 weeks, only because I asked too.. I could have waited to 36 weeks if I wanted.. I was on insulin too..

Do what you feel is best.. No one should force you into doing something you don't feel comfortable with..

December 13th, 2010, 10:38 PM
moonmama03's Avatar Reese Gabriel due 5/15/11
Hi there, Im a full time diabetic mom on insulin, I have 2 girls and with each pregnancy they started me on NST's at 32 weeks. Its a pretty non-invasive test. And yeah your in a dr's office, but you are left alone pretty much through the test. I thought it was nice, because I could hear baby's HB, and just chill with my feet up!!! And ultimately it dosent put you or the baby in any kind of jepordy, like an early unexpected delivery would because you missed something that an NST could of picked up on.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search