Dx'ed with GD really late?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 28th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Super Mommy
Hi everyone, i was recetly Dx'ed with GD at 35 weeks 3 days. To me that's way too late to do anything to help me from having a humongous baby, my endocrinologist appointment is at 37 weeks 4 days. I'm at 37 wk 3 days right now and i just feel like my kid is going to have problems now. Ever since they told me i've been eating better and have cut out pretty much all junk, but i still don't really know what my sugars are etc. Part of me just wants to tell them to induce me at 38 weeks because my baby measured 7lb 2oz at 35 1/2 weeks, so by now i'm sure he's close to 9 lbs. I don't even want to mess with the endo and insurance issues with paying for the glucometer when i'll use it for like a week at most

At this point i just feel like sticking with veggies and protein will keep my numbers low and help my little guy from having Blood sugar issues at birth and that they really just didn't catch it soon enough...i feel like one of those cases that went completely undiagnosed pretty much. Has this happened to anyone else? If so how did your doc/you handle it?

Sorry this turned into a book, but if you got this far thanks so much for reading!!
Born 12/8/10 @ 8:35pm 8lbs 7oz 21 1/4 in. long

Less than 24 hours old, 3 days old

3 days old, Me and Blake 3 days old
November 29th, 2010, 06:09 AM
JessMitch's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi! I got diagnosed at 28 weeks so unfortunately i don't know how you feel exactly... but i think the best thing you can do is write down all these questions you have and ask your doctor. You've already been cutting out the junk so that's good... for me (and everyone is different) i have to eat 3 meals a day with 3 snacks in between having most of my carbs/sugars at dinner time. I wonder if you can ask to be induced or have a c-section so the baby doesn't get too much bigger before your dd.? Maybe they'll do an u/s today when you go to see exactly how big the baby is and then make a decision from there....? Good luck and keep us posted!

November 29th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
{{Hugs}} I would personally go to your doctor and ask to get a A1C test done.. A A1C test will give you a "average" number for the last three months.. If your numbers are good, it would give you a piece of mind that your baby is fine.. The most important thing to do now is get your numbers in order.

Try to get a monitor.. What you think may be fine to eat, may be not.. You'd be amazed what can cause high blood sugar and what does not.. Also, I always got my meters for free.. I'm sure you will too.. I like the One Touch Mini.. I think you can buy it for $10 at the store. But the strips are a different story.

I personally wouldn't worry about measurements during U/S.. They can be off a pound or two.. How are your external measurements? With my second pregnancy, the U/S said my baby was going to be huge but my stomach measurements were always normal.. In the end, the U/S was wrong.. The U/S also said my daughter was going to be big, but she was only a 6 pounder.. Far from big..

Good luck hun and here's a link talking about A1c..

A1C - American Diabetes Association

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; November 29th, 2010 at 11:34 PM.
December 1st, 2010, 07:51 PM
Super Mommy
My uterus measure 3 weeks bigger than what it's supposed to...so at 38 weeks i measure 41 weeks O.O I also have a slight case of polyhydramniosis(too much amniotic fluid), so i'm guessing that that adds abouta week on there.

Yea i got my meter and have been eating what i would normally eat and my sugar levels have all been in an acceptable range. I guess that my normal diet doesn't make my sugar go crazy, but dumping 100 grams of sugar into my system all at once does lol. I even drank a coke and waited 2 hours to see if my BS would be high and it was 94 hehe
Born 12/8/10 @ 8:35pm 8lbs 7oz 21 1/4 in. long

Less than 24 hours old, 3 days old

3 days old, Me and Blake 3 days old

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search