Gestational Diabetic and Overdue

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 9th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Veteran
I was diagnosed at about 29 weeks, and have been following the diet and testing my blood sugars 4 times a day. Overall, they have been excellent. I've only had about 5 or 6 high readings after meals, only two of those above 150. I had fastings mostly in the 70's, the rest in the 80's, except for about 5 that were in the low 90's, never above 95.

I had an ultrasound at 38w3d, and the estimate for the baby's size at that time was 6 lb 10 oz. But my midwives were still treating me cautiously and scheduled me to be induced at 39w6d, since no one seems to like gestational diabetics going overdue.

Well, my uterus didn't get the message. After 11 hours of cervadil overnight, and then 6+ hours of pitocin the next day, I was having contractions frequently, as close as 2-3 minutes, but I wasn't in labor - the contractions weren't incredibly painful, and my cervix hadn't changed from where I started. They said the baby looked like an all-star on the monitors for 18+ hours, so they thought I should go home, and they'd try again in a few days if this didn't get things jump-started so that I'd go into labor on my own.

They tried again on Tuesday. This time I refused the cervadil, but I was on pitocin for over 8 hours. Again, I was having contractions frequently, every 4 minutes or so, but they weren't really painful, and I hadn't dilated at all. I did go from 50% effaced to 70% effaced though. And again, they sent me home, hoping I'd go into labor on my own.

I'm scheduled to go back tomorrow. I'll be 40w6d. I'm terrified of the same thing happening, but I really don't want to ask for a c-section unless there's a greater danger to the baby if it isn't born. It just sucks to go through all that, if they're going to tell me that the baby looks great and they want to try again in a few days. Does anyone have any suggestions or info for me? Is there a greater risk to the baby after 41 weeks, regardless of size, or is a big baby the only real concern with GD? We're thinking of staying and persisting with pitocin tomorrow into Saturday until it works, but that's easier said now than done when I'm hungry and tired and they're telling me I can leave and eat and be at home.
December 9th, 2010, 05:12 PM
famograham's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Location: Beautiful Parksville, BC, Canada (on Vancouver Island)
Aww, that's a tough road!
I am wondering why they need to induce you at all?
The baby sounds like a great size...nowhere near big!

If it were me, I would refuse the induction and wait for the baby to come in it's own time. I know that can be difficult though when you're being pressured by your care providers!
I am due next month, and am really hoping that nobody tries to convince me to induce, because unless they have undeniable proof for me that I need to get her out...I'll be letting her take her time.
My other two kids were 9 and 13 days late and they were just fine, my first was 6lb13oz and my second was 8lb10oz, my second was actually an easier delivery.

I do believe that a big baby is the greatest concern with GD, and in your case, it sounds like you don't even need to worry about that.

Just remember that it's your body, your baby, and your pregnancy. You have every right in the world to refuse anything at all.

Linda

December 13th, 2010, 10:12 PM
moonmama03's Avatar Reese Gabriel due 5/15/11
I agree with the above poster, if there is really no other reason for the induction besides concern with baby size then I think they should let you be. Pitocin can be so hard on you and baby especially when your body isnt ready. 6 pds 10 oz is awesome!!! Even 7 pds is nice! Plus it sounds like your sugars have been well controlled.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search