Hi all!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 24th, 2010, 07:06 AM
SuthrnMommy's Avatar That's "Doctor" to you!
My name is Kristen, and I am currently 25 weeks pregnant with our second child. I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, which is a metabolic disorder that affects the way the body processes sugar. It can very well lead to diabetes later in life if not treated. I recently failed my one-hour glucose screening at my dr. office (passed it with my first pregnancy) and was asked to do the three-hour at the hospital. Well, I went to do that yesterday morning and ended up throwing up the drink. So naturally, I was told I'd have to come back another day. I said NO WAY!!! Not doing that again!!

I know my blood sugar is doing things it shouldn't right now, which doesn't make me think I have full-blown GD, but my plan is go to ahead and monitor my blood sugar instead of doing the glucose test again. My dr. will find this out on Monday when I call LOL! I bought a blood glucose meter and started checking last night just for the heck of it, but I really started checking and recording this morning. My BG was 128 last night after I had eated about 5 hours earlier. I wasn't entirely happy with that number being several hours after eating.....but......I had indulged in 7 sugar-free Oreo cookies....they still have carbs.....and there was no protein/carb balance going on there

So I went for a total of about 14 hours without eating between supper and waking, and my BG was 95 this morning. Apparently, it should be even lower than that! But like I said, I wasn't watching my meals the night before, so I'm sure it could be better if I AM watching what I eat. For breakfast, I ate an egg/ham/cheese omelet and a piece of whole wheat toast (1g of sugar). An hour later, my BG was 116. I thought that was pretty good! I think I will test again to see what my two-hour BG is after that meal, just for curiosity's sake.

Anyway, I have a lot to learn and can't wait to really see how my body reacts to food. I am going to do everything I can to make sure I don't have to take insulin and that I can control this by myself. I can't wait to read posts on this board!

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, AlexAiden Mommy!
December 26th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to swozze3 Send a message via Yahoo to swozze3
Hello there...I have type 2 and have been for about 9 years and am currently pregnant with my 3rd and having huge insulin issues.

December 29th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
With the bread you want to be counting the carbs, not the sugar. I'm type 1 and they want me 60-90 fasting, and under 120 2 hours post meal.
January 1st, 2011, 01:59 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
gdm is hard to "control" as its the placental hormones that are messing up your sugars, you could eat nothing (which would be bad for you and baby), and your sugars would still be high. A 14 hour fast is not good for baby, I know how much you want to stay off insulin, but not eating won't do it.
Do your glucs fasting in the am, and one or two hours after your three meals, which ever number is highest. They have specific parameters for the 1 and 2 hour mark for gdm. If you need to go on insulin, you will feel better, baby will feel better, and you will get off it once you deliver. I had gdm with both pregnancies, I did the guilt/starvation thing, it doesn't work. ((hugs))
January 1st, 2011, 03:08 PM
Delekatala's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Delekatala
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieJ View Post
gdm is hard to "control" as its the placental hormones that are messing up your sugars, you could eat nothing (which would be bad for you and baby), and your sugars would still be high. A 14 hour fast is not good for baby, I know how much you want to stay off insulin, but not eating won't do it.
Do your glucs fasting in the am, and one or two hours after your three meals, which ever number is highest. They have specific parameters for the 1 and 2 hour mark for gdm. If you need to go on insulin, you will feel better, baby will feel better, and you will get off it once you deliver. I had gdm with both pregnancies, I did the guilt/starvation thing, it doesn't work. ((hugs))
She is right a long fast will spike your sugar. One of the most important lessons i have learned since being diagnosed is diabetics have to eat to keep their sugars low and level. While pregnant I had a 1 starch and 1 protein snack between meals, and 2 starches and 2 proteins before bed. If I dont have my before bed snack, my fasting sugar is always high in the morning. Because your body will go into starvation mode and release ketones and sugar into your blood stream.

I think it is awesome you are being so proactive! I am not lurking here as much as i should because I am not pregnant right now, but feel free to pm me if you have any sort of questions, I am a diabetic pro, LMAO
January 6th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Super Mommy
Hi... my name is Erin and I am pregnant with #2 (18 weeks), this is my first time coming to this board and just thought I'd share a little about my experience with #1.

I was diagnosed at 28 weeks and made it through with monitoring and diet alone, no meds at all, I worked with a dietitian at the periniatologists office and we charted my meals and levels, I faxed them at the end of the week and she would review them. Toward the end of the pregnancy it was a little tougher to keep the numbers right, not because of my eating, just my body so I know that no matter how hard you try, sometimes meds may be the best thing.

I too have PCOS and lost a ton of weight after having my DD, my body somewhat "fixed" itself after having her, although I still have PCOS and losing weight is beyond difficult, I managed to drop over 30lbs and so far this pregnancy with monitoring myself I have kept my levels great... we'll see what the next month or two brings!
January 6th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Regular
Monitering and controlling GD is very difficult with just excercise and diet. I am 30 weeks right now, and although my glucose levels are generally in range, i find certain readings will measure high, even if i ate the same thing the day before and measured low. Sometimes, after i excercise...they are still higher than they should be. It's so frustrating. You just feel so defeated. All i am doing right now is experimenting and keeping a food journal. So i can see what it is thats making the readings high.

Time is also very important. I was told to measure before meals only. and if i have 4 hours between meals....then the sugar levels should measure low....ive noticed that if i test at like 3 and a half hours.....they are still higher...just that half hour makes a difference. I swear im thankful its only 10 more weeks!!! Maybe less if im lucky hahaha!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search