Well hello again..

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2011, 06:40 PM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
HI! Im Bre. Posted here a couple year back when i had GD with my daughter. now 25 weeks preggo with number 2, and my midwife has me testing instead of doing the GT test. Im using test strips that expired a year ago, and i think they arent giving me accurate readings. With my daughter i had the hardest time control my fasting numbers. I was on insilin and that didnt even help much. My daughter was born 7lbs and perfect though. With this baby im planning a homebirth with a midwife and hoping that my GD stays away or is controllable. My midwife thinks the reason i developed it last time was due to being Malnourished and stress.

so here is my questions. Ive tested 3 days in a row. my fasting numbers have been below 95 and my after meal numbers have been great...even with high carb meals! However i just read they changed the guidelines? So my 92 fasting would be too high even though compared to my last pregnancy its awesome to me? IM so bummed! Whats the deal and is it valid?

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

January 10th, 2011, 03:22 AM
Delekatala's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Delekatala
Hello, 92 is a great fasting number! Just popping in quick, btu wanted to post something, LOL
January 10th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Hi! Thank you! Im thrilled with my numbers so far! Thats why i was erked to read they changed the acceptable numbers..im not paying attention. I know what is a good fasting number for me. this morning i actually got an 87! I had pasta for dinner last night and an hour after tested at 110! Im a million times less stressed with this pregnancy and i think its helping!

January 10th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Regular
Im so annoyed at this point with the whole GD thing...like 90% of the time, my numbers are excellent, and the rare times they are high i feel like the dietician is trying to give me a hard time. Alot of the time, i do not trust doctors and medical professionals. I have not gained even half a pound in 3 weeks. Im 30 weeeks along and have gained 27 pounds. I really don't think that a few high numbers will cause any risk to my baby. Im just so sick of medical professionals trying to scare you into taking meds and insulin. I honestly think that if they ask me to take insulin, i would refuse. Does anyone else feel this way? I feel like i have a strong control over my food intake, i excercise regularily, and gosh darn it, once in ahwhile my sugar is high....and by high i mean 6.5 - 8.5. which to me, doesn't seem like its posing much danger to my unborn child. I don't want to be bullied into injecting myself with like 10 needles a day when i feel strongly that everything is normal. I know girls that did not have GD that have had 9 pound babies and gained 60 pounds!!!! I'm losing faith in our medical system. I think the blood testing should be a guideline only, and if numbers are constantly high, only then is there a need for concern.
January 11th, 2011, 03:33 PM
I think everyone is different. YOu know your body. If you are testing and you know that your numbers are in control i wouldnt worry about. GD is a no joke thing, but in my opinion it very overly diagnosed and the GT test is very inaccurate. Stress can play a big part in number, at least thats whay im noticing. 90% of woman with GD end up getting induced or in C-section and then figure how many of those woman might have been misdiagnosed....well it just makes me sad.

January 11th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I also had gd with DS1, dx at 27 weeks, went on insulin two weeks later-the most shots I took each day were four, never ten. He was born over 8lbs on his EDD.

This 2nd pg, as soon as I got my bfp my internist had me start doing glucs fasting and after three meals, instead of the gt. Our goal is to keep my sugars down with insulin, so that I don't become one of the moms who goes on to develop Type 2 diabetes later on, as a percentage of gd'ers do. GD tells us that you're insulin resistant, which worsens as we age and tire out our pancreas. The placental hormones cause the highs, not sure why the dietician is riding you when your numbers are going up. The beauty of being pg with gd is this: you can follow the program they recommend, or don't, either way hoping for the best. Bouncing glucs also puts your baby at risk for diabetes later in life, too.

I'm following the program for another 30 weeks, knowing it'll end at delivery

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search