First babies were big--med free with GD crazy???

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 23rd, 2011, 10:34 AM
Veteran
I really had it in my mind that I was going to try an epidural-free birth this time around. This is my third pregnancy and I had an epidural with my first two girls (8'14" and 9'8"). They weren't small, and the recovery was pretty brutal.
With this being my third, and now with a diagnosis of GD, is it insane of me to even think about trying a med-free birth, especially because this boy could very well be over 10 pounds??
I'm wondering if someone else has had a similar situation and made it through....
January 23rd, 2011, 10:40 AM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
Please dont let that threat scare you. I had GD with my last pregnancy, and they threatened me with that, induced me a week early, and she came out 7 lbs. 7 lbs and that with my fasting being wacky most of my pregnancy. Now everyone is different, and every baby. But i have seen woman birth 11 lbs babies naturally. If you are keeping your numbers in check....why would you have a giant baby? They woman that do are the ones with undiagnosed GD. Follow your gut, and ignore the fear. Eat well and often!!! I have boarderling GD this time, but its seeming to keep rather calm, but im eating very very well compared to last time. Im having a planned homebirth. Of coarse the idea of having a 20 lb baby in my living room is frightening.....but its not going to happen because im taking charge of my health!

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

January 23rd, 2011, 02:37 PM
JustLiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's not crazy. I am going to try a natural birth even though dh was 10 lbs and I have gd, so mine might be a generous size. good luck!

Thank you Vicki!

January 23rd, 2011, 03:05 PM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
BigBaby.org | Big Baby

Our bodies are pretty awesome.....but again...just because you have GD does not mean your are having a big baby.

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

January 26th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Veteran
Thanks ladies. I probably will have a big baby, though. It runs in my family. I'm a twin and weighed 7'6". I can't imagine what I would have weighed if I was a singleton. Yikes.

But you're right--this GD is making me eat much healthier (virtually no junk food since I don't want to waste my carbs!), so who knows? Maybe this one will be smaller that my 9'8" baby. I hope!!

Thanks for the encouragement!
January 27th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Khara
Good luck to you! I don't think you are crazy for trying a natural birth. Even though you had an epidural with the last two you still made it through the birth and they came out fine, right? I think you will do great!
February 8th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Just wanted to say good luck!

I make small kids, but I can honestly say, I couldn't tell a difference between my 6 pounder and my 7 pounder. Hurt just the same after wards..

February 9th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm going to be trying for all natural this time around. I tried with my first, but she turned sunny side up last minute and had passed some meconium in the water, so in the end, they gave me an epidural to try and relax things enough to get her out quickly... there was threat of c-section. Her weight was 9lbs 11oz, and she was 23inches long however I did deliver vaginally, and would have worked harder at it naturally if not for the fact she was in some risk because of the meconium. Size was not an issue.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search