GD is totally out of control and I need help

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Khara
I know this is going to be a long post so I appologize in advance and thanks to those who actually read/reply!!

I am in a bad place right now with my GD control. I really feel like I can't handle it.

I did awesome with my last pregnancy, I was strict about my diet and exercised regularly. I ended up losing weight and was starving all the time but my numbers were great and I didn't need medication.

This time I got tested early and was told my numbers were high so was diagnosed w/ GD in my first trimester. I was going to a really crappy clinic... the nutritionist there was AWFUL. She had no reading material or resources that were in English, only in Spanish, so I had nothing to take home with me as a guide. I pretty much remember the diet I was on with my previous pregnancy but it's been a really long time... I do know it was WAY different than what she told me to do. She told me I should eat 45-60g for breakfast and 60-75g for lunch/dinner which is crazy high, isn't it?? Plus I find myself needing snacks during the day because I can't go that long between meals (hello, I'm pregnant!) so my numbers were pretty high. So my doctor put my on glyburide.

I've had several instances where my sugar would drop out on me because of the medication. It's very scary when this happens so I've tried to manage it by not going too long without eating. I try to level out my eating so I'm grazing through the day rather than having huge meals and long periods of no food... but then I don't feel I will get an accurate reading so I tend to not test my sugars like I should. I am lucky if I test more than once a day. I know that's awful but if I did test my numbers would be way higher than they "should" be since I'm eating pretty much all day long (just smaller amounts).

Because I'm always hungry and I'm scared of my sugar going to low, I don't feel like I can even go 2hours between eating. My (former) doctor got very upset with me for not checking my numbers as much as I should so I ended up lying about my numbers and just writing in random numbers on my log... I know how terrible that sounds but that's what I did.

I'm only 25 weeks now but I'm at my wits end with GD. I feel totally out of control and I need help. I have a new doctor now and I'm supposed to see him tomorrow and I am scared he will make me feel awful for not checking my numbers and I'm tempted to lie and write them in again so he won't make me feel bad... but I also know I really need some help and should probably see a new nutritionist or something.

Is anyone else out there having such a hard time? Or have any advice for me?

If you've actually read all this, thank you.
January 24th, 2011, 03:45 PM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
first of all you should NEVER feel hungry. If you do all the time is probably part of the reason your numbers are out of control. Carbs are super important so you shouldnt cut them out compleatly. Always pair them with protein! Check your numbers for YOU not for the stupid doctors. Check after every meal...especially higher carb meals. If you are on Glyubrid then you NEED to be eating your carbs or you will bottom out. Being on meds isnt a bad thing, it gives those who have out of control numbers my leniancy with good. Keep a food log, it makes it easier to see what is throwing your numbers. Its very important for your baby that your numbers are good. If your sugars are high..so are your babies! I hope it goes well with your new doc. I know its a pain in the ***. But it should be your number one priority!

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

January 24th, 2011, 06:34 PM
JustLiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto everything above. Make sure your doc knows that you are going low. This is not your fault, and the doc needs to help you figure out how to get in balance. Don't be afraid to check your sugars. You need to know where you are. Check them when you're low too so the doc can see what the problem is. I'm sorry you had such a bad time at the clinic.

Thank you Vicki!

January 24th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Regular
It really boils down to how we are emotionally. I went through the same feelings, like i was almost depressed having to deal with GD. Then i realized quickly, that its not a huge deal, and you just have to suck it up and really be good and careful. I always get great numbers. Really make sure you space out your meals appropriately. Sometimes even 5 hours if you have to. Drink large glasses of water in between meals, it makes you feel fuller. You can sweeten with crystal light. The orange flavour is great!!! Also cut the carbs a bit, i don't nearly eat as many as they say to eat, at the end of the day, you will know how many carbs are right for you. It's not going to be some textbook amount. And of course, like the lady above said pair them with protein. A cup of tuna salad is great, even 2 eggs will do the trick. I honestly do not eat more than 15-20 grams of carbs in one meal. and ill have almost double that in protein and fillers like cheese, and chopped veggies. A few other good snack ideas are hummus(i love costcos red pepper one), cottage cheese, i also make a mix of cashews, walnuts and pecans. Its actually quite easy once you really just accept it, and embrace it, and make it work. You can do it. Half the battle is believing in your ability to do it. Im not an overly religious or spiritual person, but i also pray every night for the strength to manage my numbers!!!!! Good luck, and it will be over before we know it!
January 25th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Khara
Thanks you guys. You're right I just need to suck it up and do what I'm supposed to do. I think I just get overwhelmed by it. I hope my doctor visit goes okay tomorrow.
January 26th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Veteran
Did your nutritionist skip snacks?? That would be horrible for a GD mom! I allow myself about 30 carbs for breakfast (usually closer to 24), 30 for a morning snack, 50 for lunch, 30 for afternoon snack, and about 50 for dinner.
After dinner, I SHOULD keep my carbs to 30, but I rarely do. I know I don't have to test for 12 hours, so I kinda go wild. Shhhh!! LOL

Well, by "wild" I mean I eat a bowl of shredded wheat and bran with milk. Totally healthy, but about 59 grams of carbs. Eeek!

You can do this--get yourself on a schedule and definitely make sure you're keeping track of what you're eating (and when). A schedule will definitely help your sugars level out, and you can clearly see what times of day are worst for you and work around them.

For example, after keeping my food journal, I realize that dinner is a huge spike time for me. They allowed me 60-75 carbs for dinner, and if I get anywhere near that, my numbers skyrocket. So I've cut those back to 50-ish. It really helped to see where my issues were.
January 26th, 2011, 08:00 PM
How was your doctor visit??

Thank you Vicki!

January 27th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Khara
Well I saw the doc yesterday and first of all he said my A1C is really good (5.7) so that made me feel better. I ran out of pages on my number tracking sheet thingy so I made copies and "forgot" to bring in my booklet to my doctors office so he wouldn't see how rarely I actually check my numbers. Pretty bad I know... but the few numbers I did show him (from this week only) he said were very good.

I also asked to see one of their nutritionists and explained how terrible the one I saw previously was... so I have an appointment for that on Monday!

I am feeling more relieved already.

Thanks... it helps to talk about this with others going through it too. It's great to get an idea of what you guys are doing to manage it, it helps motivate me to take better care of myself and try to follow a better diet until I can see the nutritionist.
January 28th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Glad you had a good visit! Hope the nutritionist is good. The nutritionist is key.

Thank you Vicki!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search