Newly managing Gestational Diabetes, day 2 and already freaking out... :(

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 9th, 2011, 10:58 AM
This might get long- so I apologize...
I failed my first test by 3-5 points- then with the 3 hour- my Dr had my nurse call and tell me that I was only off by a few numbers for one of the tests- and they werent going to worry about it as I have had a low weight gain for the pregnancy. At my doc appointment 2 weeks later my doc decided to send me to a dietician and now have to monitor my blood sugars. So I didnt see a dietician until 32 weeks- I am guessing they werent very concerned- I measured a little big for 3-4 weeks but that has tapered off, and I have only gained aboout 13lbs up to this point.

That appointment was yesterday. So my appointment was done at 530- I ate late around 7ish- my before bed number was high... then my morning number was high and then my after breakfast number was high again! For breakfast I ate 27 carbs...

Here is what I have been eating and my numbers...(the first day I wasnt too smart about the protein, so I adjusted after)

yesterday dinner- 2/3 cup pasta with diced tomatoes-this came to about 45 carbs ( i wasnt feeling too well) my numbers came to 147 1 hour after eating.

my before bed snack was a large apple a tbs of carmel and nuts

my morning number was 108... then ate breakfast- 2 waffles with Peanut Butter...(27 carbs) my numbers a little over an hour later was 178.

Mid morning snack- yogurt (19) and a half a banana

For lunch I had a salad with cucumbers (5g), low carb sandwich (16g), yogurt (19g) and a hand full of peanuts....my number was 148

I am freaking out now, and scared to see my numbers. Does it take time to figure out the ways to trigger my numbers, or will the doc be ready to start meds already? I would hope by next week I have better control...

Can anyone else tell me their stories? Does it take a few days for it to regulate using the diet plan? I am so worried that the diet isn't going to control my numbers.

update- yesterday my dinner numbers were great- 110. I had about a cup of pasta with chicken, a cup of cooked veggies, a piece of bread and a piece of strong cheese.

Then this morning I woke up not feeling well, stressed about my morning test- and it was high... at 110. I had crackers and cheese before bed so I thought that would help. For breakfast I have 2 pieces of low carb bread (16g total) with 2 pieces of string cheese and my numbers were 147 after. I am really getting stressed out over this, and am freaking out that I will get put on insulin. Could stress make my numbers go up too?
February 9th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't really have any answers to your questions, as I'm just starting this process myself. I was diagnosed at 12ish weeks, and am now 14 weeks and today just had my first appointment to learn about what to eat and when etc. It's been hard, really hard, I won't lie, and it seems to take the body some time to get used to everything, but in the end, it's going to be worth it! I believe stress is never a good thing to add to anything, be it pregnancy, illness, or life in general, so do try to keep it down. Listen to your Dr's, read everything and anything you can get your hands on. I was told if you notice a particular high or low, in any type of pattern over the days, to let your Dr. know, and then you can work out what's causing it, to cut back or add where needed.

Good luck!
February 9th, 2011, 01:34 PM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
you need more protein. from what i can tell you are too carb heavy and not enough protein to balance it out. YOu dinner was all carbs...not good. Now if you were to have pasta, diced tomatoes and say tofu or make a meat sauce..your would be fine probably. You fasting is high but im betting you went way to long without eating. you should never go longer then 9 hours with out eating. if you do.....diabetic or not...you will have higher fasting numbers. You are growing a baby and your body is super busy at night...it needs energy. If you dont have energy your body starts shooting off glucose to compinsate and your insulin cant keep up. so the last thing before you go to bed.....eat proteing and a little carbs. Stay up late if you have too.

My guess is the reason your after lunch number was so high was because of your mid morning snack. Bannas wills spike you ...yogart will....and the hadful of peanuts wont off set it enough. Try greek yogart instead. Aslo your before bed snack was to carb heavy..try to lean more on the protein then carb side...but dont cut out all carbs...they are important!

PS...watch your milk intake..even though it has good protein it will spike your sugars as well. Make sure your prenatels have Chromium in them and try to eat some Cinnamon everday.

pps...stress wil spike your numbers too!

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

Last edited by bre4thewin; February 9th, 2011 at 01:37 PM.
February 9th, 2011, 08:06 PM
JustLiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree. I think the amount of carbs you are eating is generally ok, but balancing them with proteins and good fats is absolutely crucial. Eat peanut butter with your fruit, meat with your pasta, eggs with breakfast, etc. Also, are you eating whole grains? Whole grain pasta and rice definitely tastes weird, but I found I could make the switch if I cook them with lots of good sauce and meat to hide it a bit. Greek yogurt has more protein than other kinds and is better (although more expensive). Also, veggies are good, but they are carbs too, so they don't balance out other carbs. You still need the protein. Try not to stress! I panicked when I saw some bad numbers too, but give yourself time. You will get the hang of it.

Thank you Vicki!

February 10th, 2011, 07:04 AM
I eat a ton of PB.....and i only eat whole grain....try to avoid white flour all together. I do eat a good amount of fruit...apples and oranges as snacks but i havent noticed it bothering my sugars. Also i noticed that even with Diet Coke...it messes with my sugars, so try to avoid even diet beverages...aside from the fact that aspartamene is horrible. Im not testing my numbers and just being conscious of diet this time.

February 10th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Veteran
I'm curious as to why the doctor made you start testing in the first place. ??? If you technically didn't fail the test, what made him change his mind?
And I don't mean to use you as an example, but I've been REALLY curious about the numbers of non-GD women this late in pregnancy. By your GTT numbers, you'd be classified as non-GD, so it's interesting to see...I personally think ALL women at this point of pregnancy have high glucose numbers, GD or not, and you're proving that point. You're not alone, trust me. LOL
Don't stress--there are a few things you can do to ensure lower numbers. The other responders gave you great advice about the yogurt (go greek or leave it alone), proteins (peanut butter is awesome--i eat it by the spoonful), and whole grains. Don't waste your carbs on white pastas or breads.
To be honest, I just stopped eating pasta or potatoes once I was diagnosed with GD. It's just not worth it.
HOWEVER, that being said, if you do find that you eat more carbs than you ought to, exercise before you test. I have an elliptical that I use for 20-25 minutes after dinner to make sure my glucose stays low and it has never failed to work, even if I eat 80+ carbs at night. Work up a sweat. It'll keep your numbers in check.
February 10th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophielee View Post
I'm curious as to why the doctor made you start testing in the first place. ??? If you technically didn't fail the test, what made him change his mind?
And I don't mean to use you as an example, but I've been REALLY curious about the numbers of non-GD women this late in pregnancy. By your GTT numbers, you'd be classified as non-GD, so it's interesting to see...I personally think ALL women at this point of pregnancy have high glucose numbers, GD or not, and you're proving that point. You're not alone, trust me. LOL
Don't stress--there are a few things you can do to ensure lower numbers. The other responders gave you great advice about the yogurt (go greek or leave it alone), proteins (peanut butter is awesome--i eat it by the spoonful), and whole grains. Don't waste your carbs on white pastas or breads.
To be honest, I just stopped eating pasta or potatoes once I was diagnosed with GD. It's just not worth it.
HOWEVER, that being said, if you do find that you eat more carbs than you ought to, exercise before you test. I have an elliptical that I use for 20-25 minutes after dinner to make sure my glucose stays low and it has never failed to work, even if I eat 80+ carbs at night. Work up a sweat. It'll keep your numbers in check.
I agree a billion times. I too am curious what non diagnosed woman BG is. We know that pregnancy make BG higher.....yet they want our number to be lower. Doh! With all the hormones i dont know if its possible not to get some high numbers...as long as they go down in a timely matter.

February 10th, 2011, 08:21 PM
I did manage to find one article where they measured blood sugar in normal pregnant women. (how did they find women to agree with this?!?). You can see it here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.ezproxy....egnant%20women

or maybe the full text here:

http://www.sciencedirect.com.ezproxy...1&searchtype=a

Unfortunately, they don't really report a range, so it's hard to know if the occasional high reading is "normal" or not. I wrote to the author to ask, but he never replied.

Thank you Vicki!

February 11th, 2011, 05:16 AM
ack.....link doesnt work

February 11th, 2011, 09:14 PM
D'oh sorry! I got it through my school library. I guess you have to log in. I think you can see the abstract here:
Elsevier

And you might be able to get the whole article by signing up for a free trial of the journal. In any case, the most relevant numbers are in the abstract.

Thank you Vicki!

February 12th, 2011, 04:59 AM
ok, i feel like a dummy and dont understand those numbers. LOL. Are those the lows? They seem stupid low to me.

February 12th, 2011, 02:46 PM
The first number is fasting. The second number is average (mean = average) and the third number is after meals (postprandial). I think they are saying that was the average about 70 minutes after each meal because that's when they found it to be highest. I think the plus/minus is saying that about 95% of the numbers were in that range, for example 95% of the after meal numbers were between 110 - 16 = 94 and 110 + 16 = 126.

They are definitely low!! Also lower than the goals that are recommended. Sorry, that's kind of a bummer.

Thank you Vicki!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search