Is exercise cheating?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gestational Diabetes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay, so I'm still new to all this, and will be going in for a follow up this coming Wednesday the 16th. This week I've been recording my sugar levels, and everything I've been eating.

I made the mistake of not reading a nutrition label properly, and ended up with some high blood sugar the other day. I'm supposed to test and record one hour after eating, and at about 40 minutes I knew something was off, so tested anyway, it was a high 11.5 (I know people in the states have different numbers than we do here in Canada, not sure how to convert?) I heard that exercise can bring it down, so I took a quick walk/jog aroyund the block, and tested roughly 15 - 20 minutes later, which is when I was supposed to record after my meal anyhow. It was 5.5! I was amazed!

So, the question then is... is that cheating? Because it WAS high, I clearly had more sugar/carbs than I was supposed to have that meal, and it spiked... then with the exercise it came back down. So the number I recorded of course was the 1 hour after the meal, which was a normal number. I made a note of what happened, but just wondered how that works, because I do feel like I cheated... if that makes sense.

February 13th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Veteran
In my opinion, no. Exercise is great for you and your baby, and is recommended for diabetics.
This gives some good info, too (from webmd: Exercising With Type 2 Diabetes: Benefits & Guidelines):
Exercise is very important in managing type 2 diabetes. Combining diet, exercise, and medicine (when prescribed) will help control your weight and blood sugar level.

Exercise helps control type 2 diabetes by:

* Improving your body's use of insulin.
* Burning excess body fat, helping to decrease and control weight (decreased body fat results in improved insulin sensitivity).
* Improving muscle strength.
* Increasing bone density and strength.
* Lowering blood pressure.
* Helping to protect against heart and blood vessel disease by lowering 'bad' LDL cholesterol and increasing 'good' HDL cholesterol.
* Improving blood circulation and reducing your risk of heart disease.
* Increasing energy level and enhancing work capacity.
* Reducing stress, promoting relaxation, and releasing tension and anxiety.

How Does Exercise Affect Blood Sugar Levels?

Normally, insulin is released from the pancreas when the amount of sugar (glucose) in the blood increases, such as after eating. Insulin stimulates the liver and muscles to take in excess glucose. This results in a lowering of the blood sugar level.

When exercising, the body needs extra energy or fuel (in the form of glucose) for the exercising muscles. For short bursts of exercise, such as a quick sprint to catch the bus, the muscles and the liver can release stores of glucose for fuel. With continued moderate exercising, however, your muscles take up glucose at almost 20 times the normal rate. This lowers blood sugar levels.

But intense exercise can have the opposite effect and actually increase your blood glucose levels. This is especially true for many people with diabetes. The body recognizes intense exercise as a stress and releases stress hormones that tell your body to increase available blood sugar to fuel your muscles. If this happens to you, you may need a little bit of insulin after intense workouts.

For a variety of reasons, after exercise, people with diabetes may have an increase or a decrease in their blood sugar levels.

Last edited by katidid622; February 13th, 2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Adding WedMD link for copyright purposes
February 13th, 2011, 02:46 PM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
no....lol. you were helping your pancreas. Same thing as giving yourself a shot of insulin. As long as your numbers were down within 2 hours of eating...it doesnt matter how!

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

February 13th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Veteran
I tried pasting some good information in here, but it has to be approved by a moderator for some reason. Hopefully it will show up soon.

But in summary, exercise is great for you. And actually, it can make your numbers increase sometimes (if the exercise is really hard).

If it doesn't show up by tomorrow a.m., I'll try to post it again.
February 13th, 2011, 06:14 PM
JustLiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Definitely not cheating! If I get pregnant again I'm jogging up and down the stairs during my gtt!

Thank you Vicki!

February 14th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLiz View Post
Definitely not cheating! If I get pregnant again I'm jogging up and down the stairs during my gtt!
LOL! Smart woman!
February 14th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the info! I'm glad to know it's not cheating. I so wish I had known about this during my 2 hour test!
May 19th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Heck no! It's good for us anyway. I think it's only cheating if you test later than you're supposed to.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search